International calling

Cruiser70

Surf or surf and stream and you can do WiFi calling, or do calls via the WhatsApp 

some sailings Surf may not work so well.  I’ve had their WiFi desk staff on one ship tell me I could never make a WiFi call on a Surf only package.  Meanwhile I’d been doing so for months on various ships, theirs included.  (Had to upgrade at $5 per day on their sailing to be able to use WiFi calling).

The best idea is to check with your cell provider for the ports you are visiting. Texting is a safer bet and we tend  to just try to unplug for the week checking in just for potential emergencies.  I let family know what days we will check in. 
I have an AT&T plan that allows unlimited for Mexico for example. On the ship, make sure you’re in airplane mode and using their Wi-Fi programs. 

On our cruise last week we used both WiFi calling and WhatsApp. The people staying at our house and watching the pets were from the UK and we used WhatsApp to communicate with them. They sent pictures of the pets and other information via WhatsApp text. Then we used WiFi calling and texting to talk to our daughter and grandkids. I talked and texted with ease. We had Voom Surf +Stream. It was a trip to Canada and our T-Mobile plan allowed us to call if needed but we just talked and texted (via Wifi) when on the ship.

On 11/2/2022 at 8:24 PM, wordell1 said:

I would add that many cell phone providers have an international plan that can be added. I have AT&T and pay $10 a day for almost every foreign country.

It does not work at sea - always have your phone on airplane mode once the ship starts to leave port.

This is what we do - phone is in airplane mode and we use WiFi calling and we use the $10/day on land if needed only.  We own our own business so we need to be reachable if needed.

On 11/2/2022 at 9:01 PM, TessOR said:

By the way…. Has anyone tried making Wi-Fi calls using Messenger on the ship or WhatsApp the only way to go?  

On 11/2/2022 at 8:54 PM, TessOR said:

I have an AT&T plan that allows unlimited for Mexico for example. On the ship, make sure you’re in airplane mode and using their Wi-Fi programs. 

@TessOR I haven't used Messenger/WhatsApp but did just use WiFi calling that's a part of my AT&T plan for the first time on ship last week. Got a call from my landlord I needed to take and had no issues during the call on board. And as far as I can tell it doesn't look like any extra charges either from looking at my account online. Looks like you've got a plan similar to mine (that includes Mexico), so the built in WiFi calling should work flawlessly (and SMS texting works well also via the WiFi Calling feature).

As for using the phone in Mexico, to fully use the plan you do have to turn roaming "on" but confirmed from AT&T rep that since this is an included perk there won't be any roaming charges.

Edited by Jack805
Added more info