Labadee Status?

Guess I've been out of the loop, but heard a news story about how there is still some unrest in Haiti and wondered if Royal was still stopping there.  Has anyone with cruises in the near futre (or recent past) had any changes?  The state department has hadit as a Leve4: Do not travel.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Haiti.html

image.thumb.png.c3a5b79bfd36824fe071905c88169b0a.png

There are no changes. When at Lebadee, you are very isolated and will have ZERO interaction with the general public. You will also not have the option to go on any excursions that explore Haiti outside of the very small peninsula that forms Lebadee. You will be more safe at Lebadee than ANY city in the US and it’s not even close!

I was deployed to Haiti in 1997 and been all over the country; wonderful people until they aren't. I spent time at Cap Haiten that is just east of Labadee; beautiful area. Most of the time the violence stays down in Port-au- Prince, way to the south, but if it truly pops off more than the normal level of violence, and it hits the villages in the north, I'm sure Royal will relook the visits to Labadee.  I really liked Haiti, but it has some serious problems both economically and politically. 

There have been major problems there for a while now. If Royal was going to skip it they would've done it already.

Anyways, what's stopping the gangs from specifically targeting the area? Probably much easier targets closer to their home. Maybe look at it like you're supporting the Haitian people (if the money actually filters down to them.)

I guess it's like pirates at sea or drug cartels in Mexico. The danger has always been there.

31 minutes ago, mistertomatohead said:

Anyways, what's stopping the gangs from specifically targeting the area? Probably much easier targets closer to their home. Maybe look at it like you're supporting the Haitian people (if the money actually filters down to them.)

I've thought about this before.  What if a large group of people decided to over run Labadee and hold the ship and passengers hostage.  It probably wouldn't be too hard if certain people were paid off to allow it.  It's a shame the rest of the country isn't available to tour.   

What's the security like around the area? Are there armed federal officers with big guns like you see in Mexico? The guys with masks hanging off trucks. After a while I get used to them. In Mazatlán they post officers along the path that cruisers walk. I don't exactly feel safe knowing they are there because there are problems. I rather they not be needed but I got used to them. Most port calls are during the day so there's that. I stayed on ship in Cabo during the night on my recent overnight cruise.

If any of this bothers you, stick to Alaska cruises. Just watch out for the meth'd out bears. Oh and avoid certain areas in Vancouver. And Seattle.

9 hours ago, mistertomatohead said:

There have been major problems there for a while now. If Royal was going to skip it they would've done it already.

I guess it's like pirates at sea or drug cartels in Mexico. The danger has always been there.

At least we do know it support quite a number of local residents that are employed there.

Besides it being remote and harder to get to with not much easy return for the time and travel invested.  They, the gangs are not stupid, and doubt they'd want to deal with the repercussions.

We were at Labadee two weeks ago and everything was normal, i.e., quiet and safe.  Our neighbor on the ship said they went up to the top of the aerial slide and did see armed soldiers securing the mountain road leading to the resort.  We had seen soldiers at the resort outdoor lunch area several years ago, but not this trip.

As I said before, everything was quiet and normal with plenty of local vendors as in the past.