Carry on Cruisers?

Censored

I just recently started to.  The key is to have things that can do double duty and/or reworn multiple times.  Here's what I typically do for a warm weather cruise now:

I'm a shorts person so those take up much less space than pants and I usually bring 1 per 3 or 4 days.  I bring just 1 pair of jeans to wear at dinner and for any cold evenings and 1 or 2 polo shirts for dinner (even for formal nights). 1 tshirt per 1 to 2 days.  Only 1 pair of shoes (tennis shoes) I wear everywhere including dinner. Only 1 bathing suit, 1 pair water sandals, and hat.  Only 1 pair of underwear and socks per day (maybe 1 extra of each if you need that comfort zone since those articles don't take up too much room).  I run and workout on the ship so I also bring 1 pair of running shoes and 1 pair of workout clothes per sea day (tshirt, athletic shorts).  Bring a few plastic bags to hold the sweaty, nasty workout clothes when you pack for disembarkation.  I use the shampoo and body wash on the ship, so just a small toiletry bag with the essentials like tooth brush, tooth paste, floss, deodorant, etc (all travel size).  Usually no electronics other than phone and small running headphones.

All the above easily fits into a carry on suitcase and backpack.  It really does take a mindset change from "what if I need something and don't have it" to "worst case I can buy an item or pay for laundry".

So ... "carry on" includes those wheeled suitcases? I imagined "carry on" to just be a single backpack. And I was only planning to bring a backpack and a wheeled suitcase on my first cruise. Am I underestimating how much stuff I need to bring for five nights?

Do people normally pack more than a suitcase + backpack worth of stuff?

9 hours ago, CrznTxn said:

5 days or less I only use my overhead roller bag and my backpack. Between the two I have more than enough room, but that is just me. Most my cruises are to warm climates and I live in swimwear, shorts, flip flops and tees.

That makes me feel better. I’m not sure I can pack much more than that into my car (Miata).