UDP reservations

SimGuy

Some folks will do both.  They buy the restaurants at full price, get the reservations, then buy UDP.  When onboard they get refunded for the individual purchases leaving their reservations in tact.  While outside of the spirit of the system, it is within the boundaries of it.  Of course you have to float the additional expense until refund.

Only you can really determine what is worth it to you.

I believe they restrict early Cruise Planner dining reservations to ensure there is availability for those who have pre-purchased dining packages and can only book once onboard…and to allow others to book onboard also. At some point, when trying to pre-reserve, the response will be ‘book onboard’…or something similar. 
I usually purchase a package. But, if I’m really interested in a certain reservation, I’ll make it through the Cruise Planner to make sure I lock it in.

The opening poster is questioning whether being able to make reservations before boarding means UDP doesn't have priority. It's possible they give you priority when you do reservations once onboard. I'm fairly certain they hold a certain number of reservations at least for those that pay top dollar for first class accommodations. This is beyond any cancellations that might happen which they will then prioritize as they see fit.

So does anyone know for certain UDP doesn't have priority over people who can make reservations before boarding? I can totally see Royal doing it this way to push people to buy each meal separately or pay full price.

We had the UDP for our Symphony of the Seas Cruise in June (100% capacity).  Once we boarded (10:30am checkin), we did our muster drill, booked our shows/entertainment for the week and than went to chops to book our dinner reservations for the night.  We got all the times we wanted.  I would think you will be able to get times that work for you.  There were open tables at every reservation time when we went.  I could see it being a tad more difficult if you have a large party 8+ people.

Pre-cruise reservation availability is only a percentage of total available reservations. Once you get on-board, all reservation times are available. 

Last month, we had UDP and before the cruise, I went in and looked at booking availability for multiple restaurants, and only found very early and very late seatings. When I got on-board and went to book all my UDP reservations, I had pretty much any time I wanted. The host confirmed the pre-cruise availability is not "the whole picture".

• 2 weeks later...

It's probably a good thing since people like me get onboard and book two lunches and two dinners with UDP.

There are about 3500 guests on this cruise and for the most part I didn't have a problem getting reservations but I'm solo and I sacrificed everything else to get whatever time is available. I'm sure it's much harder with big groups.