Cruise Port Los Angeles: Hotel Recommendations

tonyfsu21

Can anyone recommend a Hilton in close proximity to the cruise port in LA? Looking to spend the night before we get on Navigator somewhere in walking distance to dining (Hilton resort would be preferred). I don’t know the area well and trying to avoid renting a car until after we finish the cruise utilizing only Uber from LAX>Hotel>Port. Thank you in advance. 

As a 40+ year resident of the LA area, here is my 2 cents. The LA port area isn’t all that great of an area that you want to be walking around. Even if it was super safe, it’s not a walkable area. It’s very industrial. Downtown Long Beach, as has been said, is probably your best option but at night it can be a little stretch. Stay on main streets with traffic. There is no reason to rent a car. Ubers and Lyft drivers are just about on every block. Just avoid public transportation in So Cal. It’s not safe or convenient, especially since you will have “tourist” written all over you with your bags.

20 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

I just booked this hotel, thank you. Was it an easy ride to the cruise terminal? 

Was a breeze drive like 5 mins to the port. The hotel was great and well located. We were happy with it for the one night we stayed. Really pretty area down there by the water. I absolutely love navigator and I’m a big ship homer. You’re in for a treat. 

I've looked into the Doubletree for possibly staying the night before (I'm still close enough driving distance to the LA port) but could never find pricing competitive enough to make it worth it for me versus just driving to the port in the morning and parking there. But the hotel looks great for that purpose.

We live in the Greater LA area but often stay a night pre-cruise in San Pedro.  There are only two hotels in San Pedro I would recommend:  The Crowne Plaza (an IHG product) and the Doubletree (Hilton).

The Crowne Plaza is better located for convenience--LOTS of restaurants within very close walking distance and only three blocks from the cruise terminal.  The Doubletree is an a little more remote location--down at the small boat marina...a couple of miles from the cruise terminal.  There is only one good restaurant within walking distance (The 22nd Street Landing--seafood)...but the hotel will shuttle you, for free, to restaurants in the Downtown San Pedro area.  I highly recommend the San Pedro Brewing Company (brew pub/ecclectic menu--I love the Tri-Tip sandwich) and the Green Onion (Mexican)...Both are very caual and reasonably priced.

At the Doubletree, get a room facing the marina...

Here was our room at the Doubletree--from most recent stay:

708759564_RoomatDoubletree.jpg.75e2ab7baf7391f6482341e19100f252.jpg

...and the view from our room:

1891014412_ViewfromDoubletree.JPG.efaf3d2af1e560aa625ec3b7de4be89e.JPG

1 hour ago, Bruin Steve said:

We live in the Greater LA area but often stay a night pre-cruise in San Pedro.  There are only two hotels in San Pedro I would recommend:  The Crowne Plaza (an IHG product) and the Doubletree (Hilton).

The Crowne Plaza is better located for convenience--LOTS of restaurants within very close walking distance and only three blocks from the cruise terminal.  The Doubletree is an a little more remote location--down at the small boat marina...a couple of miles from the cruise terminal.  There is only one good restaurant within walking distance (The 22nd Street Landing--seafood)...but the hotel will shuttle you, for free, to restaurants in the Downtown San Pedro area.  I highly recommend the San Pedro Brewing Company (brew pub/ecclectic menu--I love the Tri-Tip sandwich) and the Green Onion (Mexican)...Both are very caual and reasonably priced.

At the Doubletree, get a room facing the marina...

Here was our room at the Doubletree--from most recent stay:

708759564_RoomatDoubletree.jpg.75e2ab7baf7391f6482341e19100f252.jpg

...and the view from our room:

1891014412_ViewfromDoubletree.JPG.efaf3d2af1e560aa625ec3b7de4be89e.JPG

Since you are local I have another question that maybe you can assist with. We (wife + 2 kids) are planning to Uber from LAX to the Doubletree and then to the terminal on a Friday. When we return on a Wednesday I want to rent a car & drive I-15 through the desert and stay in Las Vegas for the weekend (flying out of Vegas). 
My questions:

1. Is it easy to rent a car at the cruise terminal after we get off the ship or should I scrap Uber all together and just rent a car from LAX for the entire duration of the trip (will have to pay to park at terminal while on Navigator)?

2. What’s the traffic like in the LA area on a Wednesday mid morning? I would guess we would start driving to Vegas between 8-10am.

Thanks for any information you can provide. We are East Coasters so this will be quite a trip for us.

3 hours ago, tonyfsu21 said:

Since you are local I have another question that maybe you can assist with. We (wife + 2 kids) are planning to Uber from LAX to the Doubletree and then to the terminal on a Friday. When we return on a Wednesday I want to rent a car & drive I-15 through the desert and stay in Las Vegas for the weekend (flying out of Vegas). 
My questions:

1. Is it easy to rent a car at the cruise terminal after we get off the ship or should I scrap Uber all together and just rent a car from LAX for the entire duration of the trip (will have to pay to park at terminal while on Navigator)?

2. What’s the traffic like in the LA area on a Wednesday mid morning? I would guess we would start driving to Vegas between 8-10am.

Thanks for any information you can provide. We are East Coasters so this will be quite a trip for us.

It should not be hard to rent a car in San Pedro on a Wednesday.  Hertz and Enterprise are both in Downtown San Pedro--on 6th at and accross the street from the Crowne Plaza--close to the Cruise terminal--about a 3-4 block walk or short, cheap Uber ride.  Renting a car for the duration is somewhat crazy as you'll pay for all those extra days plus another $20 to park it at the pier.  You also don't need an Uber on embarkation morning as the Doubletree has a free shuttle to the pier--just make sure you sign up for it as soon as you check in.

Traffic in the LA area on a weekday morning is never great...BUT, you're not going to be too bad off because 1)  You have several route options and 2) you will largely be going "against traffic".  You MIGHT be taking the bridge across to Long Beach, then north on the 710 and 605 to the 210 east to the 15...but, if that shows traffic, you can take the 60, the 91 or the 22/55/91 to the 15.  Make sure you have a good GPS App with up to date traffic adjustments (I really like "Waze") .  It will give you the best route to avoid traffic and get out of the LA area...

By the time you get off the ship, get to the rental car office and get the car, you're probably not getting on the road at 8:00 am...but the drive to Vegas is only 4.5-5 hours, so you'll get there pretty quickly anyhow...

Lots of nice places near beaches and restaurants...just not near the cruise piers.  Los Angeles/Long Beach Harbor is MASSIVE.  It's the busiest port in the Western Hemisphere and third busiest in the world...So it spans a rather large area...and, being a major industrial port, there aren't really any beaches in the area...Most Beaches in the LA area are either up the coast from there--The South Bay (Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach...The "West Side"--Marina Del Rey, Venice Beach, Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades, Malibu......or down the Coast--The far Eastern end of Long Beach, Seal Beach, Huntington Beach, Costa Mesa, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach...SE of these towns are perfect for tourists--Santa Monica, for example, is my favorite by far--lots of things to see and do, lots of retaurant and nightlife, convenient to all the main tourist attractuions, great weather...AND LOTS of nice hotels near the beach and sights...BUT, it is also quite expensive...and about 30 miles from the cruise port...But, if you are going for several days pre= or post-cruise, it is definitely the place to stay.  The MArina Del Rey/Venice Beach area is also a great location...and often a little less expensive than Santa Monica.

OTOH, if you're just going for the night before a cruise, you can't beat San Pedro for convenience.  Just no real beach...