Guest booked in Suite and Room - is it possible?

Thanks to this awesome forum we are all booked for a 11 night cruise in a GLS on anthem, with all the perks of Star Class. My wife and I plus 2 kids (2 and 4) will be sharing the room and Grandma is planning to book an interior cabin too. 

I suspect that the cost of her UDP and UBP will be significant for an 11 night cruise. I’m reality she will be with us most days helping with the kids in the suite etc, where we expect to dine a fair bit. 

I had a thought that the cost for me to add her to our room (around $1500 I believe) will be less than her adding all of the extras to her interior cabin. But will RC let you add a guest to your cabin that is already booked in their own cabin?

Hopefully that question makes sense. 

If the goal is in-suite dining you can order enough food to cover her.  

If she isn't a big drinker then the DX may not make sense.  

Paying for a couple of dining reservations at the venue and a few drinks for her may be the cheapest option if most of the time your plan is dining in the suite.  $1,500 is a a few dinners in the venues and several dozen drinks.

Thanks @twangsteri suspected that may be the case. Frustrating. 

@Templecruiser, we need her to have her own space, so needed to keep the interior. I think if RC blocks the 1 guest 2 rooms then we are out of luck. 

Anyone have experience of a guest with UBP being allowed to drink in the Suite - I’m assuming the genie would be ok with it. 

11 minutes ago, twangster said:

If the goal is in-suite dining you can order enough food to cover her.  

If she isn't a big drinker then the DX may not make sense.  

Paying for a couple of dining reservations at the venue and a few drinks for her may be the cheapest option if most of the time your plan is dining in the suite.  $1,500 is a a few dinners in the venues and several dozen drinks.

Thanks for this.  Very helpful. 
I was concerned about her being in our room during the day etc if she didn’t have a drink package. But if that’s not really monitored then it’s a big saving. 

10 minutes ago, britinbrooklyn said:

Anyone have experience of a guest with UBP being allowed to drink in the Suite - I’m assuming the genie would be ok with it. 

DX/UBP doesn't cover ALL in suite drinks.  For example you can't order a cocktail like a rum & coke and have it delivered to your suite.  They will stock soda/water/sports drinks and sometimes some beer/wine in the suite and they don't keep track of which guest consumed that beverage.  If she pops open a soda that's already in your suite no one will know she drank it versus you drinking it.  

1 hour ago, twangster said:

DX/UBP doesn't cover ALL in suite drinks. For example you can't order a cocktail like a rum & coke and have it delivered to your suite.

DX/UBP, no. However, delivery is allowed for Star Class suite. Only rule is you can't have bottles of spirits brought to the room. Subject of beer/seltzers/ciders, this can be stocked in-suite as well for Star Class.

I can't tell you how many mornings I've had a Bloody Mary or two with breakfast when sailing Star Class.

Re-posting some pictures from earlier this year on Harmony.

Fridge stocked...

20220116_152048_copy_1024x768.thumb.jpg.a716fa283b74293b832812b713bbd406.jpg

On hand spare supply in cabinets...

20220116_152039_copy_1024x768.thumb.jpg.f0f49994bba858f9cf6b3dce6d657dfa.jpg20220116_152105_copy_1024x768.thumb.jpg.f893274d993bcc43698bc7eeaa23e710.jpg

Reading through the thread and wanted to share some thoughts since we considered doing something similar in the past and have sailed in suites with friends who were not in a suite.

- It really seems like the best choice here is to book her in the separate stateroom and link the reservations. 

- Ordering the any "Drink Package" really seems like it isn't logical unless she really plans to order coffees, sodas and beer/wine/cocktails routinely.

- The UDP is something I would consider and could be of benefit, but you will have to determine how likely you are to go to different venues.

The first thing is Coastal Kitchen, likely will not be utilized much.  The non-suite quest probably will not be allowed if the recent trends are applied.  That means all your group dining will have to be specialty, in-suite, or quick service/buffet.  My guess is most likely breakfasts will be in the suite and therefore the need for juices/coffee is negligible from the drinks package and no dining package impacts.  Not knowing the itinerary of the 11 days, there could be the opportunity to have a few lunches at specialty dining.  While you could still order up to the suite, it might be nice to be out and about a little so the UDP would be helpful.  Same thing for dinners, while you could do in-suite, the food will be fresher and it might be nice to get out of the room some by going to the dining venue.  Also you may be headed out to a show after, and the suites are aft.  While it is nice to be back there, it might be easier to get ready and head out for dinner and a show in one trip.  it usually is not too much of an ask for the genie to include the linked guest in the reservation.

I agree with @ScooterScott22.  I think your idea of having your mother in a separate room is a good plan and I believe it will work well for you.

Here is what she will NOT be eligible for:

1.  Visiting the suites lounge, the Coastal Kitchen or the suites sun deck

2.  Unlimited dining outside of the suite (unless you purchase the UDP for her) or free drinks outside of the suite (unless she gets a drink package).

3.  Technically, she is not eligible for reserved seating in theater venues however, I have never had a Genie fail to include a limited number of non-SC guests to our reserved seating requests.  This is really a Genie-specific thing....could they technically refuse to seat your mother with the rest of the family ?  Yes....but would they ? No....especially since it's just 1 person.

As for eating and drinking in the suite, as others have mentioned, it is basically unlimited food and drink (except for liquor and wine) to whomever wants it.  If your mother wants Starbuck's delivered for her along with everyone else's morning drinks, that will be no problem....just know that it will only be delivered to your suite, so she would have to come and fetch it and either drink it in your suite or take it back to her room.  It will not be a problem.  Same with any food delivered to your suite.  They neither know nor care who is eating or drinking in your suite.  They do not "count" so if you order 5 Starbucks every morning for a suite with only 4 people in it....nobody cares.

Here is what I would recommend:

1.  Purchase the UDP for her.  That way, she can join you for any meal, at any time as long as it is not in the Coastal Kitchen. ...and OBTW, if you don't want to miss filet night in the CK (usually night #1 but could be any night) just have it delivered to your suite and she can have one with you, if she wants !!!

2.  If she wants to have unlimited drinks outside of your suite, then purchase her a drink package. If she is a liquor or wine drinker, then you will need the UDP but if she only really cares about non-alcoholic beverages (water, soda, coffee, fresh squeezed juice, etc.), then the refreshment package would work.  You will be able to order liquor/wine-by-the-drink for her, to be delivered to your suite any time.  Same with Starbuck's.

Enjoy the GLS.

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I agree with @ScooterScott22.  I think your idea of having your mother in a separate room is a good plan and I believe it will work well for you.

Here is what she will NOT be eligible for:

1.  Visiting the suites lounge, the Coastal Kitchen or the suites sun deck

2.  Unlimited dining outside of the suite (unless you purchase the UDP for her) or free drinks outside of the suite (unless she gets a drink package).

3.  Technically, she is not eligible for reserved seating in theater venues however, I have never had a Genie fail to include a limited number of non-SC guests to our reserved seating requests.  This is really a Genie-specific thing....could they technically refuse to seat your mother with the rest of the family ?  Yes....but would they ? No....especially since it's just 1 person.

As for eating and drinking in the suite, as others have mentioned, it is basically unlimited food and drink (except for liquor and wine) to whomever wants it.  If your mother wants Starbuck's delivered for her along with everyone else's morning drinks, that will be no problem....just know that it will only be delivered to your suite, so she would have to come and fetch it and either drink it in your suite or take it back to her room.  It will not be a problem.  Same with any food delivered to your suite.  They neither know nor care who is eating or drinking in your suite.  They do not "count" so if you order 5 Starbucks every morning for a suite with only 4 people in it....nobody cares.

Here is what I would recommend:

1.  Purchase the UDP for her.  That way, she can join you for any meal, at any time as long as it is not in the Coastal Kitchen. ...and OBTW, if you don't want to miss filet night in the CK (usually night #1 but could be any night) just have it delivered to your suite and she can have one with you, if she wants !!!

2.  If she wants to have unlimited drinks outside of your suite, then purchase her a drink package. If she is a liquor or wine drinker, then you will need the UDP but if she only really cares about non-alcoholic beverages (water, soda, coffee, fresh squeezed juice, etc.), then the refreshment package would work.  You will be able to order liquor/wine-by-the-drink for her, to be delivered to your suite any time.  Same with Starbuck's.

Enjoy the GLS.

Such good points! I have to wonder if @britinbrooklynrealizes that in setting things up as he has it will mean that the grandmother is the only one in the family who doesn’t get to eat at the coastal kitchen or go to the suites lounge or enjoy many of the other benefits that rest of the family has? I would think that could be a problem;  if I were going on a cruise with my family and everyone else was in a star suite while I was stuck in an interior I am pretty sure I would have some seriously negative feelings about that (particularly if I was expected no babysit 😤).  Maybe I missed something crucial somewhere in the story? 

59 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

Such good points! I have to wonder if @britinbrooklynrealizes that in setting things up as he has it will mean that the grandmother is the only one in the family who doesn’t get to eat at the coastal kitchen or go to the suites lounge or enjoy many of the other benefits that rest of the family has? I would think that could be a problem;  if I were going on a cruise with my family and everyone else was in a star suite while I was stuck in an interior I am pretty sure I would have some seriously negative feelings about that (particularly if I was expected no babysit 😤).  Maybe I missed something crucial somewhere in the story? 

Some really awesome points all around.

Ha. Nothing missed here. We have 2 kids so we won’t be dining out all that much, it was the reason for us wanting Star Class so we could enjoy more in suite dining. 

The suites lounge reminds me of a sorry delta lounge somewhere in the Midwest , so I don’t feel we would take much advantage of that space to be honest (no offense to any lovers of delta lounges in the mid west). 

We would likely do Jamie’s if we went out as we are all vegetarian so many of the other options don’t appeal too much to be honest. 

The MIL would just be delighted to help us out as it’s our first vacation in years and we are also being kind enough to pay many thousands of dollars to bring her along. The kids will be in camps most of the time - so the time she does get to spend with them she will overjoyed for I’m sure 😬

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the location of the Suite Lounge on Quantum class ships.

While the wake view is nice, it is annoying being at the end of a guest corridor. The times where visiting the lounge is beneficial are also the times when guests will be heading the opposite way and carts for the stateroom attendants will be out. Somewhat annoying trying to head against the main traffic flow. Plus the real annoying part is no direct access to the lounge from the back of the ship where the Star Class suites are. Guests have to head to the mid-ship elevators then head all the way back again.

From my research I would totally agree. I’m not sure why I would walk past so many other spots to get to that particular venue. An interior stairwell for Suite guests use would have made much more sense. 

it’s one of the things that worries me a little with the GLS - it’s a hike to the bar if I want to get a drink (we only drink wine and mixed drinks) and don’t want to be constantly pestering the genie. 

1 hour ago, britinbrooklyn said:

From my research I would totally agree. I’m not sure why I would walk past so many other spots to get to that particular venue. An interior stairwell for Suite guests use would have made much more sense. 

it’s one of the things that worries me a little with the GLS - it’s a hike to the bar if I want to get a drink (we only drink wine and mixed drinks) and don’t want to be constantly pestering the genie. 

I agree, a stairwell would be perfect. To be honest, it a hike to get anywhere from those loft suites on Anthem, but that unobstructed aft view is so worth it! I completely loved that suite, and I don’t even like Anthem that much. But I would take those grand lofts in the back any day!