I’m sure it’s a silly question….

Robert M

1 hour ago, Toby said:

One of the things that surprises me is the number of guests that settle their on-board account at the end of the cruise with cash.  I am sure there are good reasons for doing so.  I guess I've led a sheltered life.

We pay only cash on board. We bring a set amount of money and that is all we spend. We put it on the account on day one and that is it. That keeps us from over spending. We usually don't spend the full amount either. 

9 hours ago, Robert M said:

Thank you for all the help, I’m really loving this forum with the wealth of knowledge that everyone is will to share with a new cruiser, my wife and daughter have told me that I have to take care of everything lol

That's funny. I'm in the same boat with my wife and daughter. I have to take care of everything. It must be a Lake Erie thing. 

12 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

We pay only cash on board. We bring a set amount of money and that is all we spend. We put it on the account on day one and that is it. That keeps us from over spending. We usually don't spend the full amount either. 

@RCIfan1912 How is the remaining balance refunded if you don't spend the entire amount you put on your seapass account?

9 hours ago, twodaend said:

@RCIfan1912 How is the remaining balance refunded if you don't spend the entire amount you put on your seapass account?

So, I don't think they are putting all the cash on their seapass, instead they are paying the balance down and keeping the rest. In the case of lots of refundable OBC, it will be refunded back in the form or payment.

There are many circumstances why someone might pay for their cruise expenses in cash. Jumping to conclusions; yes, they might be a drug dealer and have large amounts of cash just lying around. But a better answer is that a parent or grand parent is paying for the vacation. Since a linked credit card has to be to an actual passenger onboard and the parent or grandparent is not present; they just use cash.

I have no references for actual data, but today in the US many, many people would be surprised by the number of parents and grandparents financially funding their children and grandchildren on a day to day basis. Even though the recipients are grown adults with college educations.  There is a just plain crazy amount of wealth in the US.

Several years ago, my mom took the family on a cruise for her 80th birthday.  She paid for the cruise itself, any ancillary items we wanted were on us. Youngest DD was 16, didn't have a CC, and while she was both responsible and we trusted her, we didn't want her going crazy. Paid for her soda package, didn't do any specialty dining, but wanted her to be able to pay for mocktails, souvenirs, etc when she was on her own.  So, we put a predetermined amount of cash attached to her seapass card, told her it was hers to spend as she pleased, and if she ran out, she couldn't buy anything else.  Worked out well, and just cashed out the remainder at the end

9 hours ago, MaryCS62 said:

Several years ago, my mom took the family on a cruise for her 80th birthday.  She paid for the cruise itself, any ancillary items we wanted were on us. Youngest DD was 16, didn't have a CC, and while she was both responsible and we trusted her, we didn't want her going crazy. Paid for her soda package, didn't do any specialty dining, but wanted her to be able to pay for mocktails, souvenirs, etc when she was on her own.  So, we put a predetermined amount of cash attached to her seapass card, told her it was hers to spend as she pleased, and if she ran out, she couldn't buy anything else.  Worked out well, and just cashed out the remainder at the end

Wow, I asked a number of years ago about doing that and was told I could not, therefore my children had no charging privileges as I refused to be caught up in what I know one would have done….run up horrific arcade charges and he likely would have sucked his siblings into doing the same.

2 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

Wow, I asked a number of years ago about doing that and was told I could not, therefore my children had no charging privileges as I refused to be caught up in what I know one would have done….run up horrific arcade charges and he likely would have sucked his siblings into doing the same.

This was on Explorer in 2013 - (wow, 9 years ago 😀), and I don't remember it being a problem -- DH did the actual dealing w/ guest services, and he didn't have any trouble, other than the long line on the last night to close out.

45 minutes ago, MaryCS62 said:

This was on Explorer in 2013 - (wow, 9 years ago 😀), and I don't remember it being a problem -- DH did the actual dealing w/ guest services, and he didn't have any trouble, other than the long line on the last night to close out.

Interesting.  Mine would have been around then. They said I could put cash but the credit card had to stay on the seapass card anyway.  What would be the point of that!😂 we also asked for a limit on their seapass, they said they couldn’t do it.  My concern on this was after a friends son charged $700 worth of arcade and ice cream for his new friends!   Needless to say my kids had no charging ability. 

My husband and I were just discussing how to do this as our two teenage children will be with us and we don’t want to have to worry about the over spending. Can someone please tell me how we put the cash on our seacards? It seems that may be the easier route than dealing with pre auto charges at the end of everything?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

On 10/29/2022 at 10:29 AM, Robert M said:

Looking in the search function and can’t find an answer nor on YouTube, but how do you pay for Johnny Rockets on ship? When you are there in person on or your account? Thanks in advance !

If you are going on a Oasis class ship breakfast is free for Johnny Rockets

On 11/3/2022 at 9:50 AM, FrenchieMama79 said:

My husband and I were just discussing how to do this as our two teenage children will be with us and we don’t want to have to worry about the over spending. Can someone please tell me how we put the cash on our seacards? It seems that may be the easier route than dealing with pre auto charges at the end of everything?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Just go to guest services and put money to their sea pass.  You can also put a spending limit on their cards.