Unactivated drinks cups?

Steve C

We had DBP on our last cruise and simply didn't unwrap the drinks cups (left them in the room and forgot about them). Question is when is the chip activated? As the chip in the cup had not been activated in a drinks machine does anyone know if we can use the cups on a later cruise where we will not have a drinks package?

I will be some sort of a "drink package police" here and say that whether the cup will work on future cruises or not, it should not be used.  Practices like this make Royal impose stricter and stricter guidelines that ultimately affect not only the persons involved but the entire cruising community.  

I'll be that guy...In the past an un-activated/unused cup could be activated and used on future cruises. It worked about 5 years ago. Not sure if that is still the case. 

Regarding whether it is "right" is open for debate. There are things that are wrong morally and things that are simply regulated. Violating a rule that is imposed simply to make more profit is not morally wrong IMO. Besides if you paid for soft drinks and never drank any, here's your chance to get your money's worth.

11 hours ago, mac66 said:

Besides if you paid for soft drinks and never drank any, here's your chance to get your money's worth.

I don't see that the OP stated that they did not get any soft drinks from the last cruise, just that they did not use the cups. It was a DBP; I doubt that they'd spent a lot of money on it without using it.

1 hour ago, PG Cruiser said:

I don't see that the OP stated that they did not get any soft drinks from the last cruise, just that they did not use the cups. It was a DBP; I doubt that they'd spent a lot of money on it without using it.

That is possible......not saying they should use an inactivated cup. But that plenty of people get the DX and never get a soda.

On 10/30/2022 at 5:53 PM, mac66 said:

Violating a rule that is imposed simply to make more profit is not morally wrong IMO. 

So just taking things from for-profit business's is OK? That is what we are talking about here.  

I'll be that guy - It is called theft and if caught, they may prosecute and would likely kick you off the ship as a minimum.  I just don't think it would be worth it.

11 hours ago, wordell1 said:

So just taking things from for-profit business's is OK? That is what we are talking about here.  

I'll be that guy - It is called theft and if caught, they may prosecute and would likely kick you off the ship as a minimum.  I just don't think it would be worth it.

Yup. 

Reminds me of the reaction we get from customers who walk shopping and eating things that are paid for by weight like grapes or bananas, or sampling from the food bar. 

On 10/31/2022 at 11:20 PM, wordell1 said:

I assume since you paid for the cup you have a right to use it.

13 hours ago, Carlyn3 said:

On my last two cruises the cups were not in the cabin- we had to pick them up at any bar where they were activated before they were handed over to us.  So there was no way to get an "unactivated" cup. 

They actually weren't activated. They were attached to your account, so the other bars know you picked them up. They are inactive until you use at a Freestyle machine.