If an excursion is changed should we get a partial refund?

Looksee

Today I was informed of a change to our booked excursion for Cairns Australia - sailing on Quantum on 18 November. Our Skyrail and train excursion to Kurunda is now Coach and Train. That's quite a change in my opinion. Should we expect (or ask for) a partial refund? In comparison the trip is AUD 401 each vs a similar trip for coach, train and army duck at AUD 261 each.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks 

There was also an overall change to one of my excursions in New Zealand in March. I looked up the new version on my Cruise Planner - it's selling for less than what I paid for it, so I just cancelled the excursion and repurchased at the lower price. You can do this anytime there is a sale/price change, or you just feel like it. Please note that you do have to pay for the repurchased excursion in full while you wait for your credit card issuer to process the return. Two of my other excursions also had lower prices so I rebooked those as well. 

This doesn't fully answer your question but I just wanted to point out that it may be an option for you.

On 10/27/2022 at 3:52 PM, Looksee said:

Today I was informed of a change to our booked excursion for Cairns Australia - sailing on Quantum on 18 November. Our Skyrail and train excursion to Kurunda is now Coach and Train. That's quite a change in my opinion. Should we expect (or ask for) a partial refund? In comparison the trip is AUD 401 each vs a similar trip for coach, train and army duck at AUD 261 each.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks 

Not like you found out at the time you went on the excursion (that might be a reason to ask for a partial refund)  In this case with this much advance notice, your choice is accept the change or cancel for a full refund.

Excursion are operated by 3rd party companies local to the destination. What none of us know is what happens to the cost Royal pays to the local company that actually operates the excursion.  Some may try to swap activities and charge Royal the same, others may adjust the price.  We don't know.  

Should you get a price adjustment?  That's very subjective and unique on a case by case basis.

Bottom line - if you are not happy about your purchase then cancel it for a refund.  Find something else that meets your needs either through Royal or direct with a local operator.