Convince this RCL newbie to give them another shot

FSUFAN

1 hour ago, teddy said:

This is a really really great example of “to each their own”.   My wife and I are having a great week on Voyager….in an Inside Cabin!! 🙂

We're having fun, it's just a bunch of little things/issues that I have not experienced in other sailings (+10 cruises). It's death by a thousand cuts.

I was assuming that a place called the Cupcake Cupboard would have cupcakes at least once. What decent bar doesn't have white wine (available at other bars on the ship)? Was that specific bar manager just too lazy not to get a few bottles for his bar?

I agree with others that I probably chose the wrong class of ship. Again, I anticipated that this sailing and RCL, would be a step up from Carnival and its just not. 

Having fun but just a bit let down by hit-n-miss service and attention to detail.

I think a new class and bigger ship you will feel different.  I think some of the older ships they keep around because they are smaller and can get into ports other ships can't, but they do show their age and Covid did not help them to get their ships in the schedule dry docks.  You said Princess food is better, but they are more of the luxury line of Carnival, so they put more effort in the quality of food.  But I have noticed from even night to night on a cruise you can have really good food and then the next night it is just alright.  The only food you will be blown away by is the specialty restaurants.  I know you have to pay extra for it, but they use better quality product and aren't cooking for 500 people at once.  I do think the ships aren't getting the quality of food like they use to from their vendors and have to take what they can get to feed cruises day in and day out.  You said dinner took a long time, but that's about average depending on your table size.  The ships from what I heard are all fully staffed, but maybe a lot of new staff from what it seems.  So go up to a Freedom class or higher ship and give it another shot.  Oasis class ships are pretty amazing to go on, they feel more like a hotel with all the neighborhoods.  Im excited to try the Quantum next year and go back to Alaska!!!

15 hours ago, FSUFAN said:

I joined this board after I booked the Quantum cruise. With all the glowing reviews about RCL, I booked this trip. Now dealing with a little "buyer's remorse" due to the glitches. From being on this board, I figured that RCL was going to be head and shoulders above the likes of Carnival and its not. 

I had a tons of fun when cruising on Quantum class ship. I have already booked another Quantum class cruise for next year. So maybe your future experience will be much better than on smaller ship. 

16 hours ago, FSUFAN said:

We're having fun, it's just a bunch of little things/issues that I have not experienced in other sailings (+10 cruises). It's death by a thousand cuts.

I was assuming that a place called the Cupcake Cupboard would have cupcakes at least once. What decent bar doesn't have white wine (available at other bars on the ship)? Was that specific bar manager just too lazy not to get a few bottles for his bar?

I agree with others that I probably chose the wrong class of ship. Again, I anticipated that this sailing and RCL, would be a step up from Carnival and its just not. 

Having fun but just a bit let down by hit-n-miss service and attention to detail.

I don’t by any means consider RC a step up from Carnival. I would say Carnival, NCL and RC are all budget level cruise lines that provide excellent value for a family vacation in different ways. If you are referring to atmosphere and overall vibe though, I would say NCL and RC are much more laid back then Carnival which tends to be more of a party boat. Also, Guys Burger Joint is the absolute best and the location on the pool deck is prime time after a few beers and a swim. I am loyal to RC but I don’t count out sailing other brands every now & then. Hopefully things work out for you on Voyager. 

On 10/27/2022 at 11:03 PM, GatorCruiser said:

We need more gators on this Board. 

I am a Gator (BS 84) / Cane (JD 88).

As to the original poster, if I may respond using your first name,  FSU.

FSU, I think you raise good points. We have booked RCL when the rates / destinations are good. Likewise, we have also traveled on Carnival, Princess, Holland America, Norwegian Cruise Lines and a few no longer around, like the Big Red Boat and Majestic. 

Lately, we have been Nomads (retirees without an RV or house), and have used cruises in lieu of flights (the transatlantic). My husband (LSU Civil Engineering 1984) and I agree that Royal Caribbean is nice, but unless we are trying to achieve Diamond level quickly,  it makes more sense in selecting a cruise to consider  factors such as price, laundry,  dates, destinations,  ship size and age (Carnival can be a tad gaudy), and other anticipated guests. 

So the major ding for us with RCL is the lack of guest laundry.  The coin laundry in Holland America is great, as other passengers have discussed stock advice. 

I knew retirees that were stalwart RCL fans. They traveled in groups,  and it was basically a club in their planned development. Probably worth it for the perks, but that a whole different topic. 

I hope that you, Mr. and Mrs. Fan, do well in your travel selection. 

The truth is that since you have had so many issues, every issue is going to seem worse than it probably is.  This is not flaming you, it is a normal reaction.  Once things start getting to you, you start noticing every little thing.  I bet if you approached it differently, you might be able to help yourself.  Ask the bartenders where you can get what you want.  If they say the don't know, ask them to check with someone else.  The other thing to remember is that every cruise, even on the same ship, is different.  The particular group of passengers can easily create a good or bad vibe for the cruise.  I would say to simply chalk this up to a bad cruise, and don't let it "poising" your next cruise, whether it is with RCCL or someone else.

1 hour ago, GatorCruiser said:

@Audrey V. you got a few years on me. I was class of 98 out of UF. But I was also there for the spurrier glory years. With the occasional loss to fsu in those days. My wife and I will be diamond after our next cruise. We may check out celebrity after that. 

We are thinking of doing back to backs as a cheap housing strategy while doing our Nomad years.  The biggest problem I have with RCL is lack of self service laundry on ships. We are only Emerald, and part of me wants to push through to Diamond,  but perks are not worth it. 

I started when Dickie was fired.  Football only got good after I left. Now the Hurricanes 🌀  was different.  We were number one a few times back in the 80s.  Loved taking Metrorail to the Orange Bowl. 

On 10/28/2022 at 3:17 PM, FSUFAN said:

I’m very sorry.  That wasn’t directed at you.  It was directed at the Voyager is one the oldest/smallest and wouldn’t sail on her for free comment. 

I should have quoted the post.  

I hope your travel back home is smooth today.