San Juan hotel recommendations

We are cruising out of San Juan in April and I'm trying to nail down our hotel. Will have a 7 year old with us. We prefer something in the city so we can walk around easily. I'm not looking for fancy amenities, and would prefer more historical type rooms. Hotel El Convento seems like a good choice but before I pull the trigger, I'd like to get some opinions. I have searched on here and read several great reviews, but most were pre covid/hurricanes.

30 minutes ago, wannabecruiseexpert said:

We are cruising out of San Juan in April and I'm trying to nail down our hotel. Will have a 7 year old with us. We prefer something in the city so we can walk around easily. I'm not looking for fancy amenities, and would prefer more historical type rooms. Hotel El Convento seems like a good choice but before I pull the trigger, I'd like to get some opinions. I have searched on here and read several great reviews, but most were pre covid/hurricanes.

We really enjoyed the Sheraton in Old San Juan.  It's centrally located and easy to walk everywhere, plus close enough for restroom breaks as you are passing by on to your next location.

Note that the hotel is NOT across from where you will board the ship!  We thought we would walk across the street to board, but you actually board across the way when embarking in San Juan.

https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotels/sjuol-sheraton-old-san-juan-hotel/overview/

5 hours ago, Reigert2008 said:

We really enjoyed the Sheraton in Old San Juan.  It's centrally located and easy to walk everywhere, plus close enough for restroom breaks as you are passing by on to your next location.

Note that the hotel is NOT across from where you will board the ship!  We thought we would walk across the street to board, but you actually board across the way when embarking in San Juan.

https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotels/sjuol-sheraton-old-san-juan-hotel/overview/

I second this one, great location

L Canario Lagoon, highly recommend, we have stayed three times before and after cruise, these folks are so nice, they charge us less every time to show appreciation for returning, if your early, they will lock up your bags, give you towels for a short beech walk, this is on a lagoon and you can see the ships from a distance, the reviews are awesome. Nothing fancy, its next to a comfort inn and probably 40 to 50 cheaper, we walked to resturants, beech, shopping, safe area. Has small breakfast as well.