Single cruise questions

I thank you all for for this resource. I have seriously stalked this forum for a couple of months and watched all of the videos and feel like I am way more prepared than I would otherwise be as a newbie. 

So, the sometimes girlfriend is being a little flaky on dates for January and February. I am willing to do it as a solo. I understand the single supplement thing. I do have a question as to why the rate is more than double (and in some cases a LOT more than double) for a solo. So, I have read about booking someone that never has any intention of going. Are there any risks with this? I read that you get the taxes and port fees back when the other person doesn't show up. Is half of the amount of the taxes and fees shown? Specificallly, I am looking at the Oasis of the Seas four day sailing next week. The fare for two  is showing $568 - 172 for a total of $396 plus $204.14 in taxes and fees. Would I basically get exactly $102.07 back in this case? The cheapest single person rate I see is $765. 

I haven’t personally done what you’re saying, though I know it’s been recommended here. I can tell you that personally I called to book solo and was told they could book me at the guarantee rate at the price of a double minus the second persons taxes and fee; you can’t book a guarantee rate for a solo traveler online so that was great to hear. So basically the same as booking for two and having a no show, as you said above. Having said that, one person told me that, but I wasn’t ready to book yet. Then when I called to book the next two people I talked to had no clue what I was talking about so I gave up. I then happened to get one of those “I’m your senior vacation planner” emails, which I sometimes seem to get when I call in about pricing. I usually ignore those but decided to give it a try. She knew exactly what I was asking for and had me booked quicker than I ever have been over the phone. The next day the rate went down $83 and so I called her back directly and got OBC (it was after final payment but they guarantee lowest price within 24 hours of booking). My solo interior guarantee ended up being $355 for a 4 nighter and after the double points on that my family of 6 will be diamond. The person I talked to is Madeleine Valladares, call 18008597225, opt 1, ext 26848. I think I’ve also read on this forum that a TA can do the same, but I haven’t tried that. 

11 hours ago, BMW Hoosier said:

I thank you all for for this resource. I have seriously stalked this forum for a couple of months and watched all of the videos and feel like I am way more prepared than I would otherwise be as a newbie. 

So, the sometimes girlfriend is being a little flaky on dates for January and February. I am willing to do it as a solo. I understand the single supplement thing. I do have a question as to why the rate is more than double (and in some cases a LOT more than double) for a solo. So, I have read about booking someone that never has any intention of going. Are there any risks with this? I read that you get the taxes and port fees back when the other person doesn't show up. Is half of the amount of the taxes and fees shown? Specificallly, I am looking at the Oasis of the Seas four day sailing next week. The fare for two  is showing $568 - 172 for a total of $396 plus $204.14 in taxes and fees. Would I basically get exactly $102.07 back in this case? The cheapest single person rate I see is $765. 

i recommend that you work with a good travel agent.   Many of us here, use MEI travel (a sponsor of this blog) and have had great success with many “odd” booking situations .  If you go to the main page of the blog, there’s a box you can complete and someone will contact you shortly.

using a good travel agent doesn’t cost you anything and then you have someone who will go to bat for you in all types of situations.

good luck!

12 hours ago, Luly said:

you can’t book a guarantee rate for a solo traveler online so that was great to hear. 

I guess that seems to be the primary issue at hand in this particular situation. Any idea why? But thanks.  

I am not opposed to using a TA but just want to be an informed as I can be. 

14 hours ago, Luly said:

My solo interior guarantee ended up being $355 for a 4 nighter and after the double points on that my family of 6 will be diamond.

Does the ship you are sailing have solo cabins? If you are assigned a solo cabin they won't award you the additional C&A point for being solo if you sail in those rooms.  Those cabins are pretty rare, but just prepared that this could be an outcome for you.

That is the crux of solo cruising, I find the supplement to be the same whether I ghost book or not. Often it is the taxes fees and prepaid gratuity that adds on to the price. If you don't book solo, you don't get the double points. It will be an ymmv situation if you book for two and allow the other to be a no-show.

You can book a GTY online as a solo. I have done it. I know others who have as well. The only thing, which was mentioned, would be that if you want the double points for solo be prepared to if the ship has solo cabins to lose out. 

9 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

Does the ship you are sailing have solo cabins? If you are assigned a solo cabin they won't award you the additional C&A point for being solo if you sail in those rooms.  Those cabins are pretty rare, but just prepared that this could be an outcome for you.

No, I don’t believe navigator has solo cabins. 

5 hours ago, mistertomatohead said:

I've been pricing some solo cruises and it doesn't give me the option for GTY. From what someone else posted I guess I can use a travel agent or call and do it over the phone with RC directly if I don't see it available online.

Keep in mind that GTY is not always a thing. I price cruise's a lot and GTY doesn't pop up on the website if the sailing is far away. I notice that it only shows up maybe half the time, so booking through a phone rep or TA might be the way to go if you want GTY rooms.

As a first timer, the points aren't a big thing to me....at least yet. Don't get me wrong, I am not against loyalty programs, I have three million Delta miles in the bank. In the case of Oasis this next week, it does appear that the GTY is available for double occupancy and not for single occupancy on any website that shows availability online. 

1 hour ago, BMW Hoosier said:

As a first timer, the points aren't a big thing to me....at least yet. Don't get me wrong, I am not against loyalty programs, I have three million Delta miles in the bank. In the case of Oasis this next week, it does appear that the GTY is available for double occupancy and not for single occupancy on any website that shows availability online. 

I solo cruise for the entire reason of hitting D+ before my kids turn 18 so that they can become D+. Cruising with them is expensive, even with Kids Sail Free times. Mostly because I'm a single dad, so I only get discounted on one kid, not both. I also pay gratuities and flights for both of them. For the price of taking them on a cruise, I can go on 3-4 cruises myself for double the points!