First cruise - have some questions

Oli82

Hello everyone,

My wife and I will be travelling on the Rhapsody of the Seas this November 8-20 from Barcelona to Barbados. I have a few questions that hopefully I could get some guidance on.

I have never been on a cruise before and don't know what to expect, my wife has but as a child many years ago.

Here are my questions - I hope it's allowed to ask in this way. Many thanks in advance to anyone who's able to help. I hope they don't seem silly.

1) The cruise is described as a '12 Night' cruise. When we're paying for things that are 'per day', is that 12 days or 13 days? I know it should really be 12 as the onboard/offboard days together equate to 1, but I don't know what's the norm with these things.

2) We have gone for the 'Deluxe Beverage Package', as it's a honeymoon and we didn't want to be mentally adding up expensive drinks. I appreciate that we might struggle to get full value from this. My question is, are there any situations where we might be offered drinks that aren't included? Should I be "on the look out" for that? We know the expensive wine bottles and Starbucks aren't included. My question basically is, is it easy to accidentally stray into drinking things that aren't included?

3) We're looking at this 'The Key' option, as it's hardly more expensive that the decent Wi-Fi option. 20 vs 19 euros per day. My question is - what percentage of people get this? Is it like flying where often everyone appears to have paid for "Speedy Boarding", rendering it almost useless? Or do very few go for it? I'm tempted to get it but just know I'll be disappointed if it appears like everyone has it so the benefits are effectively non-existent.

4) I was planning to dress smart casual, so a nice polo top with jeans. Is this acceptable for dinner? I heard from some people that it's normal to dress smartly (i.e. wear a shirt I guess) to dinner. Do I need to pack some formal wear?

5) On the final day, we arrive at 8am, what sort of time would we be off the boat by and on land in Barbados? I know if we get The Key we have a breakfast on that final morning and can choose our departure time. Are we talking 8:30am? Or noon? I'm totally unsure about this.

Anyway I hope these questions weren't stupid and that it's an appropriate place to ask. Many thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks,

Oli

Welcome to the message boards!

4 hours ago, Oli82 said:

The cruise is described as a '12 Night' cruise. When we're paying for things that are 'per day', is that 12 days or 13 days? I know it should really be 12 as the onboard/offboard days together equate to 1, but I don't know what's the norm with these things.

You're talking about the same difference. If you buy an unlimited drink package, internet package, or dining package, it's good for every day of your cruise, including embarkation and disembarkation day.

4 hours ago, Oli82 said:

are there any situations where we might be offered drinks that aren't included?

The most likely scenario are souvenir cups/glasses. Those are not included.

4 hours ago, Oli82 said:

We're looking at this 'The Key' option, as it's hardly more expensive that the decent Wi-Fi option. 20 vs 19 euros per day.

I'm not a fan, but if you're not in a suite and it's nominally more, I think there are worst ways to spend your money on a cruise.

Our latest Key review: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2022/10/06/i-tried-the-key-again-see-if-its-worth-it

4 hours ago, Oli82 said:

I was planning to dress smart casual, so a nice polo top with jeans. Is this acceptable for dinner?

Yes, dress codes are suggestions on Royal Caribbean. There is no fashion police to enforce anything. So if you're in the ballpark of dress code, that's totally fine.

4 hours ago, Oli82 said:

2) We have gone for the 'Deluxe Beverage Package', as it's a honeymoon and we didn't want to be mentally adding up expensive drinks. I appreciate that we might struggle to get full value from this. My question is, are there any situations where we might be offered drinks that aren't included? Should I be "on the look out" for that? We know the expensive wine bottles and Starbucks aren't included. My question basically is, is it easy to accidentally stray into drinking things that aren't included?

The package will cover any drink up to $14.  If it is over, you will just pay the difference.

The vast majority of drinks will be under.  The package includes wine by the glass, but not bottles (there is a discount for bottles).  There are many choices under the $14 but there are also some choices above that for more expensive wine - again, you would pay the difference.

You're going to have a great time!

When counting the number of days for calculating per person per day add on's, you will use 12 even though you will be on board for parts of 13.

For a 12 night cruise, I think the value of paying for The Key on a per day basis is diminished, but if you're only talking about 12 euro's extra for the entire cruise, it's a no brainer.  You'll get that value from the Chops lunch if nothing else.  Any other Key benefits are just gravy.

5 hours ago, Oli82 said:

5) On the final day, we arrive at 8am, what sort of time would we be off the boat by and on land in Barbados? I know if we get The Key we have a breakfast on that final morning and can choose our departure time. Are we talking 8:30am? Or noon? I'm totally unsure about this.

You will likely have to be off the ship about 830a. Enjoy your cruise!

Rhapsody is such a great first-cruise ship!  Don't miss the parties in the atrium in the evening.  The Beatles night and the 70s night are some of my favorites of any RC ships.  I also like the Park Cafe being in the Solarium.  A great, quiet spot to grab a quick breakfast. (They also have lunch, just not as quiet)

Enjoy your honeymoon!

On the Key, make sure you are comparing apples to apples.  You can usually get a two-device plan cheaper than 2 one-device plans, so there is only an incremental cost to adding a second plan, whereas with the Key you are paying the full price per person. 

A polo shirt will fit in nicely in the dining room most nights.  You may want to bring something more formal for the formal nights (polo will be a little underdressed compared to many people), but formal dress is optional and if you were in a polo you'd still be better dressed that those who will inevitably show up in t-shirts.

I think it's unlikely that you'd find yourself accidentally ordering something over the drink plan amount.  They are not trying to catch you off your guard.  Maybe if you specified a top shelf liquor or something, but I'd imagine they would flag if it would incur an exchange charge knowing once they see your card that you are on the DBP.

I loved Rhapsody and all the evening game shows and activities in the Centrum.  I hope you have a great time!

There are usually 2 formal nights for a 12 night cruise.  Some people will dress up while other will just dress smart.  Having said that, I would recommend bringing a very nice outfit (ie: suit).  This way you can get some formal pictures, which are taken on formal nights.  

If you are not on your computer or other device 24/7, you could always do what my husband and I did: Share 1 WiFi account but on 2 different devices.  Yes, you can use 2 or more different devices on the same WiFi account - just not at the same time.  So in the morning, I would do my surfing or check my email and my husband would use it in the evening  Afternoons were up for grab.  But be aware, if one is on and the other signs on, the first person would be booted off.  Another thing about the WiFi, get the surf and stream option.  Better speeds. 

Get the Key only if it is reasonability priced. I don't get it because I figure I can get the WiFi cheaper than the Key and nothing else matters to me.  

Final note: To get on the ship early (which the Key would do for you), be ready to check in as soon as you are able to (~45 days out at midnight at the port you are departing from) get that first early spot (~11 am).  Then you will be able to grab those dinner reservations to specialty dining and get to the pool faster. 

ENJOY!

Thanks for all the replies! It's all very helpful info.

I think my only remaining question is that we booked a check-in for 12:30pm a couple of weeks' back, that was the earliest time available.

Now that we have The Key, I've heard that we might be eligible for an earlier check-in. Should I try to 'undo' the check-in, or ask Royal Caribbean if we could switch to an earlier one? If we could get on at say 11am then I would go for that, we will be at a hotel near to the port anyway.

Oh also - is the room available when we board the boat? I assumed we could go there, drop our stuff off, freshen up and then go walking to the lunch without carrying bags. I know there is the option to leave hand luggage with them included in The Key, but I won't go for that as I want to keep hold of my valuables.

33 minutes ago, Oli82 said:

Oh also - is the room available when we board the boat? I assumed we could go there, drop our stuff off, freshen up and then go walking to the lunch without carrying bags. I know there is the option to leave hand luggage with them included in The Key, but I won't go for that as I want to keep hold of my valuables.

Rooms are ready around 1-1:30pm.  You will not be able to drop your things off.  I have a small carry-on bag that has a change of clothes and toiletries that I keep in case my checked bag  doesn't make it to my room by dinner.  I keep my wallet and passport on me until I have access to my safe.  That way I'm still not lugging around my shoulder bag.

2 hours ago, Oli82 said:

I think my only remaining question is that we booked a check-in for 12:30pm a couple of weeks' back, that was the earliest time available.

Now that we have The Key, I've heard that we might be eligible for an earlier check-in. Should I try to 'undo' the check-in, or ask Royal Caribbean if we could switch to an earlier one? If we could get on at say 11am then I would go for that, we will be at a hotel near to the port anyway.

From RCL website: 

The Key Guests will enjoy the following exclusive and special amenities during their cruise vacation: 

• Priority access into the terminal (within booked arrival time) on Day 1*

From this information, I would call Royal Caribbean to see if you can get an early check in time. 

Barcelona is a whole different process than the states. They might be more laid back regarding entry than the US, I felt they were when I was there (Celebrity in late July) which is peak season.  Is your embarkation a part of a "looping cruise"?  People can board/disembark at another port?  If it is it could be that your room may be ready for you when you board, if not, like SpeedNoodles said it may not be until about 1 or so.