New smaller ships?

With the current industry trend to continue to build bigger ships, any chance they will build new smaller ships?

I think, at least with a lot of people here, some of their favorite ships are the smaller ones.

At some point, you can only retrofit the smaller ships to a point to keep them updated with the newest amenities.

RC has proven they can make bigger and bigger ships and make money on them.  I think for the RC brand, bigger is the direction.

Sister company Azamara and Celebrity seem to pick up the small ship slack, so to speak.

RC has proven they can make bigger and bigger ships and make money on them.  I think for the RC brand, bigger is the direction.

Sister company Azamara and Celebrity seem to pick up the small ship slack, so to speak.

I'm not familiar with the Azamara line. What are they like?

So that puts RCCL at the bottom, so to speak?

Yes. As @monorailmedic would say, they're the "mass market" line. Primarily geared to families and the least expensive of the three for comparable itineraries.

Seems to be the trend with cruising companies. Have three lines to appeal to the different demographics. With the exception of MSC Cruises, whose parent company is mainly involved in cargo shipment. 😂

Yes. As @monorailmedic would say, they're the "mass market" line. Primarily geared to families and the least expensive of the three for comparable itineraries.

Seems to be the trend with cruising companies. Have three lines to appeal to the different demographics. With the exception of MSC Cruises, whose parent company is mainly involved in cargo shipment.

Well, now I feel like I just bought a car with manual roll down windows! Last one I owned was from 1973! ;) 

This is a hot topic that Matt and I discussed on a podcast a few months back.

Yes, Celebrity has ships that are small compared to newer RCI builds, and Azamara has R Class ships which are quite small (30k gross tons).

Royal Caribbean is a "mass market" or "contemporary" line, but that doesn't make their product inferior.  This is just the way the market is sliced up.  Azamara is a luxury line, yes, but if you're a family looking for ice skating, flowriders, parades, etc then you're not going to feel Azamara is a superior experience - while others may if they have different goals and desires.

That out of the way, I do wonder how RCI will keep cruisers who prefer sailing out of say, Baltimore and Tampa, ports that are a looong way off of supporting larger ships.  There are consumers in that market that want RCI's product.  Will we see offers for residents of certain states that make it more appealing for them to go to alternative ports?  We'll see.  I do think it's an intersting stumbling block they'll need to conquer.

Royal Caribbean is a "mass market" or "contemporary" line, but that doesn't make their product inferior.  This is just the way the market is sliced up.  Azamara is a luxury line, yes, but if you're a family looking for ice skating, flowriders, parades, etc then you're not going to feel Azamara is a superior experience - while others may if they have different goals and desires.

Totally agree, and I hope I didn't inadvertently imply inferiority with my last comment!

Yes, Celebrity has ships that are small compared to newer RCI builds, and Azamara has R Class ships which are quite small (30k gross tons).

That out of the way, I do wonder how RCI will keep cruisers who prefer sailing out of say, Baltimore and Tampa, ports that are a looong way off of supporting larger ships.  There are consumers in that market that want RCI's product.  Will we see offers for residents of certain states that make it more appealing for them to go to alternative ports?  We'll see.  I do think it's an intersting stumbling block they'll need to conquer.

Perfectly said .... in the case of Baltimore, a new port would have to go south of Annapolis, which is still relatively rural the further south you go. 

Maybe a solution would be to offer discounted airfare in certain cities to entice people to travel to a different port. it's not a perfect solution, but if you can't bring the ship to the people, bring the people to the ship.

Totally agree, and I hope I didn't inadvertently imply inferiority with my last comment!

Nah, I got it. It's just like when all the Big 3 car companies, each had three classes of cars. Each for a niche in their market. I miss my old Pontiac!

Maybe a solution would be to offer discounted airfare in certain cities to entice people to travel to a different port. it's not a perfect solution, but if you can't bring the ship to the people, bring the people to the ship.

This used to be done. In fact, cruises used to be priced and advertised with airfare included. Other lines are also starting to added discounts on airfare to entice cruisers. This has been done with European itineraries and Princess has a promotion where you can save $300 on your airline ticket if you book air through them. The luxury cruise lines already include the air, which in part is why they're more expensive.

This used to be done. In fact, cruises used to be priced and advertised with airfare included. Other lines are also starting to added discounts on airfare to entice cruisers. This has been done with European itineraries and Princess has a promotion where you can save $300 on your airline ticket if you book air through them. The luxury cruise lines already include the air, which in part is why they're more expensive.

Adding airfare would have a perceived added value to the price, whether or not the flight was actually available cheaper on it's own. Most people would pay the little extra to have it all bundled together. One stop shopping.

Good point, though I'd also note that just like NCLs included drinks, flights can almost always be de-coupled from luxury sailings - or changed for other perks (pre/post hotel stays, etc).  There was a time that some cruise lines even looked into starting their own airlines, or doing permanent charters.  Crystal has done this now, but for a very different reason.

Good point, though I'd also note that just like NCLs included drinks, flights can almost always be de-coupled from luxury sailings - or changed for other perks (pre/post hotel stays, etc).  There was a time that some cruise lines even looked into starting their own airlines, or doing permanent charters.  Crystal has done this now, but for a very different reason.

And that reason would be?

They're the luxury line. As opposed to Celebrity, which is the "Premium" (their marketing word, not mine) line in the middle.

It reminds me a lot of cars.  In General Motors, you have Chevrolet (RC), Buick (Celebrity) and Cadillac (Azamara).  It's not to say one is superior or inferior than the other, they just offer a different experience.

It reminds me a lot of cars.  In General Motors, you have Chevrolet (RC), Buick (Celebrity) and Cadillac (Azamara).  It's not to say one is superior or inferior than the other, they just offer a different experience.

As long as RC doesn't become the Oldsmobile or Pontiac. Or Yugo or AMC. :D 

And that reason would be?

See, if I explain it here then how do I justify writing a long article about it later? j/k...sorta

Crystal has several aircraft.  Their 777 and 787s have been refitted for high-end accomodations offering "air cruises".  The same concept of a cruise, except on a plane.  Additionally, they have a smaller plane, a Bombardier (and possibly another small one) which can be privately chartered, or simply used if you and several of your wealthiest friends want a very luxirious ride to catch your cruise.

I always forget Buick is still a thing.  Can we find a different brand for this comparisson?

See, if I explain it here then how do I justify writing a long article about it later? j/k...sorta

Crystal has several aircraft.  Their 777 and 787s have been refitted for high-end accomodations offering "air cruises".  The same concept of a cruise, except on a plane.  Additionally, they have a smaller plane, a Bombardier (and possibly another small one) which can be privately chartered, or simply used if you and several of your wealthiest friends want a very luxirious ride to catch your cruise.

Well they sound great, but I don't think I will be using them anytime soon. Unless I win the lotto of course.

Well they sound great, but I don't think I will be using them anytime soon. Unless I win the lotto of course.

Not that I have any experience with them; but from what I saw when looked at them on a lark, I think Crystal is rarefied air even among other luxury cruise lines.

How about Kia / Hyundai / Genesis (just spun off from Hyundai as new luxury brand)? Or Scion / Toyota / Lexus? :)

I actually rather like the Scion/Toyota/Lexus comparison as that is a great example of clearly differentiated markets where price is a factor, though not the biggest factor.  If you want what a Scion offers than you don't want a Lexus.

Good point, though I'd also note that just like NCLs included drinks, flights can almost always be de-coupled from luxury sailings - or changed for other perks (pre/post hotel stays, etc). There was a time that some cruise lines even looked into starting their own airlines, or doing permanent charters. Crystal has done this now, but for a very different reason.

I remember they were taking at one time about repurposing UPS aircraft on the weekends for this purpose.

I actually rather like the Scion/Toyota/Lexus comparison as that is a great example of clearly differentiated markets where price is a factor, though not the biggest factor. If you want what a Scion offers than you don't want a Lexus.

All except for the fact that they're discontinuing the Scion line, correct?

Guest toodle68

We have watched several of the Dream Cruises episodes where they show one of the smaller ships < 500 passengers and the one item that really appeals to us is how much closer to the water you are.. how the ocean is a bigger part of the experience.  It is more like going on a personal cruise ship. They have food tables outside and one night they had a buffet / bbq outside. It all looked great.

The pool is not the central attraction because rarely do you see kids on these ships. So the tables, where you can sit and order food, is right at the railing on the top deck. The ship also had a water deck of the back of the ship where you can go directly into the ocean when in port. They put out mats and use the ships small boats for tubing etc.

Of course, you lose a lot in entertainment on the smaller ships since since some of the time the crew doubles the entertainment... and of course, the cost is a lot more.  I would love to see RC build a new 'smaller ship that could pick the best of both of these worlds.

We have watched several of the Dream Cruises episodes where they show one of the smaller ships < 500 passengers and the one item that really appeals to us is how much closer to the water you are.. how the ocean is a bigger part of the experience.  It is more like going on a personal cruise ship. They have food tables outside and one night they had a buffet / bbq outside. It all looked great.

The pool is not the central attraction because rarely do you see kids on these ships. So the tables, where you can sit and order food, is right at the railing on the top deck. The ship also had a water deck of the back of the ship where you can go directly into the ocean when in port. They put out mats and use the ships small boats for tubing etc.

Of course, you lose a lot in entertainment on the smaller ships since since some of the time the crew doubles the entertainment... and of course, the cost is a lot more.  I would love to see RC build a new 'smaller ship that could pick the best of both of these worlds.

That would be amazing ....

I also wonder if having smaller ships, would it open up opportunities to be able to visit ports that can't accommodate the bigger ships.... both domestic & abroad? (For example, the reason Empress was brought back in regards to Cuba)

Guest toodle68

The episode we just watched had the ship go to a few places I had never heard of.. They only docked a couple of times and when they viewed the bay, there was no other ships around. They used the ships lifeboats to take passengers to shore. There were no scenes of crazy busy ports and long lines for taxis like at Cozumel. In a few years when we have a little more money, we will definitely explore some of these other cruise lines with mid to small size ships.

Oh, the one last night was 340 passengers and had 5 massive masks with sails and sometimes cruised just under sail power.

Toodle68, imagine taking a river cruise where it's only about 60 people.  :)

My in-laws have done a couple of those on the Rhine river. IIRC, first time took them through Estonia and Budapest (among other places), after having to detour south and maybe even onto a different river because of problems in / around the northern Rhine (too low for passage? a fire?); the second time they went the originally intended route through Germany and further north. They said it was really fun and I was amazed at the photos they got of places you could only reach by way of the river.