Is it worth it to check in and board the ship early?

This will be our second cruise vacation and I was wondering if its worth checking in and boarding the ship early. 

I am so excited and thrilled to be going on my first OASIS class ship and have been day dreaming, planning and going through embarkation day in my head. 

I plan to head to the ship early, be at the terminal at 9 am and hopefully board the ship by 10. Is there anything to do on the ship like grab something to eat and enjoy the ship before the hecticness of the port of calls every day? 

Thanks for indulging my fantasy but i am truly looking forward to my trip. Thanks!

The earliest check in time that I've ever gotten is 10:30.  They didn't start letting people onto the ship until 11:00.  I don't see any point in getting to the terminal at 9.  Just get there near your check in time.  But, yes, I like to board the ship as soon as I can, so I always try to get a very early check-in time.   And some ports do (and should) stick to the check-in times.  

Just being realistic to help manage expectations - Suites, Pinnacle and The Key will all be allowed into the terminal first.  Those same groups will be the first to board, after the back to back cruisers are cleared and boarded (if they come off the ship at your port).  Clearing the ship and inspections can also cause delays to the boarding process.  

I'm not saying you cannot try to get the most of your day by attempting to be as early as possible, but stick relatively close to your check-in/boarding time for the best process.  It could be disappointing to find that your port is adhering to check-in times and you have to wait.  Even if you have an earlier check-in and you show up at 9 am, it would not be fun to start vacation only to find that your stuck waiting to get in until those other groups are allowed in, and then stuck sitting in the holding area until those other groups board.  It may go relatively fast but can seem like forever.

Yes, early is best (boarding time)! I think the general consensus is it's best to grab an earlier boarding time so you can begin your vacation right away. Passengers that board earlier have an advantage as they generally have the best specialty dining reservation options (day/time). They also have the ability to book entertainment reservations for the main shows, as well as, other activities like Escape rooms, etc. You cannot book dining package or major entertainment/activity reservations until you are onboard the ship. It's also nice to start exploring the ship when it's mostly empty! We try to complete the online check-in as soon as it opens up to grab the earliest available boarding time (eg. 10:30am or 11:00am).

4 hours ago, Jim the Titan said:

This will be our second cruise vacation and I was wondering if its worth checking in and boarding the ship early. 

I am so excited and thrilled to be going on my first OASIS class ship and have been day dreaming, planning and going through embarkation day in my head. 

I plan to head to the ship early, be at the terminal at 9 am and hopefully board the ship by 10. Is there anything to do on the ship like grab something to eat and enjoy the ship before the hecticness of the port of calls every day? 

Thanks for indulging my fantasy but i am truly looking forward to my trip. Thanks!

Well, there are pros and cons with boarding early. Firstly, only people of special status get to board early, and early only means the time they begin boarding usually around 10:30 am. Special status applies to top tier Crown and Anchor members such as Pinnacle, Diamond Plus. Then you have people who have booked a suite, and then there is the "Key" which you must pay for in advance.  So arriving at 9:00am means you could be waiting for 2 or more hours in line at the doors. If its cold outside, its not fun, trust me Ive been there done that. There is also the risk of delays, for many reasons..weather, fueling, etc , so there is some anxiety with this possibility . There is your first con. Will you be able to go directly to your state room boarding early? In most cases, no. So this means you have to walk around the ship with your winter clothes (if its that season) and even you carry on luggage. If its hot, you may want to change your clothes, but if all that is in your luggage, you may have to wait until it is delivered to your cabin door. (packing a swim suit in your carry on is advisable along with important documents and anything else that is crucial for your travel ie medications etc.)    Now the pros>  I mostly book suites so I do go early. Many times the suite is already cleaned and I have moved into it prior to the standard time of 1-2:pm. The doors may be closed at all the lobby sections with access to the hallways, but I usually open them and have a peak to see if the cabin is ready.  Less line ups for dining at the buffet and there places is a bonus, hardly anybody in the pool, solarium, bistro, or other venues. Not experiencing jammed in lines at or in the elevators, and being able to go to guest services before the long line ups begin is a bonus. Booking shows with the concierge, dinner times and excursions with less people is a bonus too. The day is longer and you actually get a full first day in rather than arriving late and feeling like the day is almost done.  Early is good, if everything goes smoothly.

As others have said, you’re not going to be on board by 10. Recently the first time to even get into the facility is 10:30 AM (that isn’t boarding time). Even if you are a Pinnacle, have a suite, or have the Key you likely would be onboard at earliest at 11 or 11:30.  As has been noted by others you won’t have access to any room before around 1 (even in a suite) and your luggage will likely be hours later than that. Even when we do a B2B and are the first ones back onboard (say at 10-10:30) it’s not much of a situation of leisurely checking out the ship as crew is rushing around for the ship and nothing much if open. But your best chance of getting close to your fantasy, at least for a short time of time, is to book a suite, purchase the key, or do a B2B.  It’s just hard to conceive of embarkation day as being remotely leisurely and relaxed as there are a lot of staff and a lot of guests trying to get so much done all at once.

Out last 2 cruises were done both with early (10:30 am ) and midday (1:30 pm) check in times. 

Cruise 1: There were long lines but we managed to get through it all and we aboard by 11:10 or so We wanted to get the muster checkin done but they didn't start that process until noon. Our cabins were not promised to us until 2:00 pm though they were available at 1:30 pm.  To me it seemed the classic "hurry up and wait" scenario.

Cruise 2: 1:30 pm checkin window.  It was much less chaotic.  We didn't need to rush through breakfast to catch an early shuttle.  We experienced no wait lines for checkin, boarding, cabin availability or muster checkin process.  I didn't feel cheated out of 2 or 3 hours of vacation at all! 

Edited by Toby
better organized

It depends on what kind of cruiser you are.  In my case, I want to be able to go to my room, take a quick nap (especially after a long drive), take a shower and dress up... then I'm ready for my vacation. That's why I usually pick an arrival time close to when the rooms become available. 

We've had both afternoon and morning check-in times and I have found that I prefer the 11 ish boarding time. Since we've suites every time there's never been a concern about lines or waiting so our choice is based primarily on checkout time at the hotel. Beyond that, we've found it's nice to get on early enough to casually sit somewhere and have lunch, admire that we're really on the ship, people watch from a quiet alcove etc. Then, just as we get annoyed of having to carry our carry-ons around, the rooms open up and we can drop them off, do the oohs and ahhs in the room, use OUR bathroom, wash off the travel dust, etc etc.

Just a matter of priorities--do you value getting on the ship and heading to the Windjammer or breaking in your drink package as soon as possible? Or do you value sleeping in, shorter lines at check-in and being able to go to your room right away? No right or wrong answer, just personal preference based on the kind of vacation you want. 

First of all thanks everyone for the helpful posts. We really appreciate it. 

On 10/24/2022 at 8:11 PM, PeloAl said:

Absolutely. We always try to board first thing since you're paying for the full day and can start using all amenities right away. 

This is exactly why I wanted to board early but as 

On 10/24/2022 at 10:04 PM, Ryan79 said:

You won’t be on board by 10am. That’s a promise! 

Ive seen somewhere that you can get all your booking times and still line up early at the checkins. 

But at any rate, Ill be there early. waiting in a line wont be a big deal by the time we get there since were flying in from half way across the world to the port. 
Thanks for the helpful posts everyone!!

If your port city IS NOT your home city, consider the two extreme scenarios I posit:

1. Wait to check in at the last minute (around 5 or 4pm-ish) and board by 4 or 5pm-ish.  This means that where ever your port city is, you will be checking out of your hotel around 11am-ish. If you normally eat three square meals a day, you will have paid out-of-pocket for breakfast and lunch.  Between checking out of your hotel, unless you are strictly free water drinking people, you will have spent a few dollars on beverages.  You will need to keep entertained to some extent until you arrive at port.  

2. Check in and board before noon.  You may have paid out-of-pocket for breakfast and possibly a coffee or two, but lunch on board is included.  You will have had however number of drinks (if you purchased the DBP) by 4pm.  You will have had access to free amenities from boarding time.  

Is it worth it?  Economically yes.  To me, it is worth the peace of mind that you are finally on board.  To me, its worth not having to wander the port city until boarding, unless that was your plan all along.  

Don't forget that if you get on the ship early, you can start making those reservations at the specialty restaurants. You can also grab a spot in the pool or hot tub - less of a crowd that first afternoon. Just make sure you pack your bathing suit in your carryon luggage. Have a great time.  

25 minutes ago, FireFishII said:

Don't forget that if you get on the ship early, you can start making those reservations at the specialty restaurants.   

This is the only reason why I pick an early port arrival time, especially if I have the Ultimate Dining Package.  The popular dining times get booked pretty quickly on Day 1.