Maiden/Inaugural Vogages

Censored

There seems to be a lot of hype on the new Icon of the Seas. Bloggers,vloggers youtube influencers and the author/moderator of this blog make statements like they cant wait to sail on it and no doubt will either be invited or make a reservation on this ship come this Wednesday Oct 25 when bookings begin.  What many people fail to realize is that these first cruises are a "shake down" cruise. Not everything will run smoothly. It just won't , so dont expect it to. Not every thing will be open.  Staff are new to the ship and still in learning mode.  Shows, performers, last minute rehearsals, are all in test mode.  Dinner reservations, wait times, room service will all be a challenge.  Oh you might meet some famous people, top cruise line execs, and get to try out some new stuff., and of course you get the bragging rights that you were one of the first people to be on a inaugural voyage.  For me the cons outweighs the pros. I can wait. I will wait. 

1 hour ago, Censored said:

What many people fail to realize is that these first cruises are a "shake down" cruise. Not everything will run smoothly. It just won't , so dont expect it to.

You're not wrong about this. 

Going on an inaugural sailing is fun because of the pomp and circumstance associated with it, but if you're not okay with everything not being at 100%, then I agree on waiting a bit longer.

I won't lie, watching the bloggers walking around with their cameras on Wonder was quite entertaining for me. 

Wonder was a bit unique because of the delays and overall pandemic situation which led to the deployment change from Asia to the US and also contributed to supply chain and staffing issues. 

But I agree taking part in the earlier sailings of a new ship you absolutely have to temper expectations. Probably the biggest complaint I heard about Wonder were from folks that were upset everything wasn't running at 100%. I dont fault them at all. Royal, for obvious reasons, doesn't heavily market that this could be a possibility.

I think they made the right decision this time around with delaying the inaugural until after the holiday season to avoid the first cruises falling over the holiday season where the demand is usually higher at premium prices. 

and flip side of the coin -- i don't necessarily want to be surrounded with people who are complaining the whole time that things aren't running at 100% (all present company EXCLUDED, we are on the same page here 💚)

there are many who many not understand that there will still be kinks needing to be worked out/run through and are not seasoned enough cruisers to know that things happen.

i think one of the best things about this forum is getting the benefit of knowledge + experience from others that can help reframe your perspective of cruising. for me, it helps me focus on the good and not the bad; and also helps me prepare better as much as i can to mitigate some of the "speedbumps" that could be incurred. even little stuff like bringing a magnetic light into the bathroom or getting proper luggage tags that are protective over the ship tags in case of inclement weather.

33 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

I won't lie, watching the bloggers walking around with their cameras on Wonder was quite entertaining for me.

this made me laugh harder than i should have 🤣 just imagining it all hahaha

1 hour ago, asquared17 said:

and flip side of the coin -- i don't necessarily want to be surrounded with people who are complaining the whole time that things aren't running at 100% (all present company EXCLUDED, we are on the same page here 💚)

there are many who many not understand that there will still be kinks needing to be worked out/run through and are not seasoned enough cruisers to know that things happen.

i think one of the best things about this forum is getting the benefit of knowledge + experience from others that can help reframe your perspective of cruising. for me, it helps me focus on the good and not the bad; and also helps me prepare better as much as i can to mitigate some of the "speedbumps" that could be incurred. even little stuff like bringing a magnetic light into the bathroom or getting proper luggage tags that are protective over the ship tags in case of inclement weather.

this made me laugh harder than i should have 🤣 just imagining it all hahaha

I watched quite a few of the vlogs by different vloggers. There were so many of them on there that were practically falling over each other. 😂

It might be a strange line of thinking.

After sailing on the Wonder Inaugural I'm looking forward to the Royal Caribbean Blog December Group cruise back on Wonder. Key thing is getting a chance to see how refined things have become after almost a year in service. Plus getting to see the Aqua show in completed form and Ice Show with all the set pieces.