Your fave dishes/items

Adriana

Hiya! I am going to do the UDP for the first time on my upcoming cruise on Anthem. I have never done a specialty restaurant, so do not have any faves, but def some dishes and apps I am looking forward to trying. I really do not like seafood, but am hoping to try some as I am trying to get over my intense aversion to it. What are some of your favorite dishes, apps, deserts, etc you love and must have while cruising?

MDR: creme brûlée and fruit bisques (have not seen in years)

Windjammer: Gosh, so much, but prob runny eggs, toast and crispy bacon

Coco Cay: I hear the chicken sandwich and tacos are good

Jaimes: Want to try carbonara and truffle pastas, arancini and truffle fries

Chops: Want to try filet, Cesar & goat cheese salads, truffle fries

Wonderland: Want to try the braised beef 

Johnny Rockets: Bacon cheese burger, onion rings and choco milk shake

Vitality spa: fruit smoothie 

Two70: Oh, those great salads! 

What are your faves or hoping to try next?

4 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

Tacos are at the lunch buffet. Handmade tortillas!

Handmade tortillas are such a small but great touch.

To the OP, if you look at the map, the buffets are at Chill Grill & Skipper’s Grill, identical venues. They also have some sandwiches, hot dogs, burgers, salad, etc, but I’m too busy with the tacos.

One dessert hack there… take 2 chocolate chip cookies to the soft serve machine for an ice cream sandwich (then try to eat it before it melts).

@OCSC Mike, thank you! The last time I was at Coco Cay was during my baby days of cruising, when it was basically chairs (maybe umbrellas), buffet of burgers and hot dogs and a guy walking around singing and selling, “Coco Loco!” I am def looking forward to trying your suggestions, thank you! Maybe I will get lucky and even get a chair!

2 hours ago, Adriana said:

@OCSC Mike, thank you! The last time I was at Coco Cay was during my baby days of cruising, when it was basically chairs (maybe umbrellas), buffet of burgers and hot dogs and a guy walking around singing and selling, “Coco Loco!” I am def looking forward to trying your suggestions, thank you! Maybe I will get lucky and even get a chair!

There are tons of chairs and umbrellas everywhere. If you have a particular spot you want (probably not on your 1st visit since the remodel) you may want to get off the ship asap (that's what we do) but you will have no problem finding chairs in general. How many and which ships are there also impacts how crowded it is, of course. I was there twice in July with Indy and Freedom in port and it wasn't that bad. That said, looking forward to Thursday when Indy (my ship) will be the only one there.

@OCSC Mike, thank you again! I have The Key, so I can get off a little earlier. I do not recall at what time we arrive, but if too early, a little extra sleeps sounds lovely, too! That is great to know about the chairs and umbrellas!! You are right, I do not know which are I want to chill at, just a place with a chair, umbrella, within earshot of music and hopefully not too hectic. Thanks again! I hope to have a new fave food and spot at Coco Cay soon! 

The bolognese sauce in the WJ was shockingly good. Maybe because it sits for hours on the low heat. I think I got at least a little of it every time we went to the buffet. Sometimes not even on pasta. Just a little bit on the side.

Trying to reduce my sugar intake and the lemon cookies were pretty great for that. Those were my "go to" to take back and stash in the cabin for snacking.

• MDR: French onion soup and escargot. There's also a banana soft serve on the vegan menu that's really odd, but I loved it!
  • Windjammer: Papadum (basically Indian tortilla chips) and any of the Indian offerings. They even have some Indian food for breakfast!
  • CocoCay: chicken sandwich for sure
  • Jamie's: truffle tagliatelle and the lemon cheesecake
  • Chops: tuna tartare, key lime pie, branzino
  • Wonderland: smoky deviled eggs, beef short rib, Cheshire cat cosmo
  • Izumi sushi: chicken karage, poke bowl, udon noodles
  • Johnny Rockets: strawberry malt
  • Doghouse: the seasoned hot dog buns
  • Cafe Two70: breakfast sandwiches/paninis and the make your own salad

Here are my favorites:

MDR: Potato soup from brunch

Windjammer: Chocolate milk and croissants, Mongolian station

Coco Cay: Funnel cake, plain and the chicken sandwich......the tacos are good like El Loco Fresh

Jaimes: Garlicky prawns and most pastas

Chops: Shrimp cocktail.......but be warned that all the sides are basic as $%#$.........especially the mushrooms, fries and baked potato.

Wonderland: Drinks and the luscious short beef ribs 😋

Johnny Rockets: Cheese and bacon fries, any milkshake

Izumi: The Udon/teriyaki bowls, chicken Karaage, shrimp tempura and the Japanese Strawberry drink. 

Ok mine is the perfectly roasted chicken in WJ.  Of everything I’ve eaten on our cruises, it’s my can’t miss dish.  You would think this would be a very basic dish but roasting a chicken, especially chicken parts in large quantities is not easy.  I will eat this for a snack!  On Mariner, I sought out the manager to rave about it!

4 hours ago, Pooch said:

Ok mine is the perfectly roasted chicken in WJ.  Of everything I’ve eaten on our cruises, it’s my can’t miss dish.  You would think this would be a very basic dish but roasting a chicken, especially chicken parts in large quantities is not easy.  I will eat this for a snack!  On Mariner, I sought out the manager to rave about it!

My mother was obsessed with the roasted chicken, she said it was so flavorful and moist.

On 10/22/2022 at 9:14 PM, ChessE4 said:

Other than that, we look forward to having what we've enjoyed before, including duck, lobster tail, lamb shank, or anything we don't normally eat at home.

I think the duck a l'orange is no longer available on the 2nd night (usually the Formal meal) in the MDR. I thought it might have been a supply issue, but to my surprise I found it in the WJ for lunch one day. not the l'orange version , just sort of fried duck like fried chicken. I think that not enough people ordered it so Royal dropped it from the MDR menu.

On 10/23/2022 at 6:09 AM, OCSC Mike said:

Handmade tortillas are such a small but great touch.

To the OP, if you look at the map, the buffets are at Chill Grill & Skipper’s Grill, identical venues. They also have some sandwiches, hot dogs, burgers, salad, etc, but I’m too busy with the tacos.

One dessert hack there… take 2 chocolate chip cookies to the soft serve machine for an ice cream sandwich (then try to eat it before it melts).

Yes, the chocolate chip cookies are awesome at Coco Cay.   

Kummelwick at 270 is pretty good too.

13 hours ago, Va4fam said:
On 10/23/2022 at 6:09 AM, OCSC Mike said:

Yes, the chocolate chip cookies are awesome at Coco Cay.  

My wife updated her dessert hack last week when we were there. She made a crumbled cookie and brownie parfait type thing with the soft serve in a cup. This solves the melting sandwich issue, lol. I had one with just cookie and we agreed it was better without the brownie.

17 hours ago, barjpoe said:

I think the duck a l'orange is no longer available on the 2nd night (usually the Formal meal) in the MDR. I thought it might have been a supply issue, but to my surprise I found it in the WJ for lunch one day. not the l'orange version , just sort of fried duck like fried chicken. I think that not enough people ordered it so Royal dropped it from the MDR menu.

It's not listed in the app for April on Allure.😭

On 10/26/2022 at 6:37 AM, amanalo217 said:

If you're feeling a little adventurous you could also ask if it would be possible to try some Indian or Filipino food at the MDR. This sometimes gets the others dining with you to try it as well. I always show my appreciation with many thanks and additional gratuity at end of week.

What are the Filipino foods available at the MDR?

I've had adobo and afritada. Usually when I've had Filipino waiters in MDR. Not sure if they brought it from crew mess or if it was prepared in MDR kitchen.

When I ask about it they usually say it's not a problem and when they ask what I would like I let them know I'm happy with whatever they are able to provide. I've had some cruises where they bring something every evening even after saying I was just looking to have some one night and don't want them to go through that much extra work.

Regardless of any special requests, I always let them know if there will be nights I will not be in MDR. I think it helps them plan for each evening especially if I'm at a group table so they know not to wait on me.

As mentioned earlier, I thank them for all the extra effort and include additional gratuities at end of week.

4 hours ago, Adriana said:

The day we were at Coco Cay was All Saints Day. I am devout Catholic, so skipped all the yumminess so I could fast. Thus far, my must have foods have not found me. I have tried to order them, but they keep messing up my orders. I will get some yumminess soon! 

Saw your post about all the issues you've hit on this cruise. Hope you get a chance to enjoy some of the treats you've been looking forward to trying.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to give a shout out to Solarium Bistro. We're just back from 5 nights on Harmony of the Seas and we had dinner at Solarium Bistro twice. Appetizers and desserts are buffet style, and you order your entree with your waiter. Honestly some of my favorite food on any ship. It may not be the same experience as a specialty restaurant, but it's complimentary, has excellent food, and without the crowds of the Windjammer or the time commitment of the MDR.

6 hours ago, _Quinn_ said:

I have to give a shout out to Solarium Bistro. We're just back from 5 nights on Harmony of the Seas and we had dinner at Solarium Bistro twice. Appetizers and desserts are buffet style, and you order your entree with your waiter. Honestly some of my favorite food on any ship. It may not be the same experience as a specialty restaurant, but it's complimentary, has excellent food, and without the crowds of the Windjammer or the time commitment of the MDR.

thank you for this plug!! we are considering doing the same on harmony come the spring and i was anxious to know how the experience was.