Passport & Birth Cert not received from the Govt yet…freaking out!

CeciMami

Hi everyone, my partner has a weird situation happening with his passport. He applied months ago to make sure that he’d have his passport in hand for our Mexican Riviera cruise leaving right after Thanksgiving. It still isn’t here and doesn’t show that it’s in the mail and no one will tell him anything when he calls to inquire!!! He did actually talk to someone who told him that if he doesn’t have his passport and he needs to travel (with proof) within two weeks, he can call back in and they’d help him then. Has anyone ever gone through this? I know that he *could* travel with his real ID and a birth certificate but THEY HAVE HIS BIRTH CERTIFICATE! (I’m using all caps because he’s freaking out…I’m just tasked with researching and figuring all of this out, lol).

If anyone has gone through something similar could you please share your experience? He also knows that he can board the ship and that maybe he should just stay on the ship at port but that would take away some of the fun…we haven’t planned any excursions yet but still…we were looking forward to just wandering around together…It’s my first cruise ever. 🙂

19 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I have not been in this situation, however, if I was, I would immediately begin the process of getting a[nother] certified birth certificate. 2 is better than none…and if he does not have either the BC or the passport, he will not be sailing.

Exact advice I was about to give.  I would immediately begin the process of getting a new certified copy of the birth certificate.

My wife and I needed to renew our passports earlier this year.  We had everything done and mailed them to the same processing address on the same day.  We mailed them separately but at the same time.  Mine came back in roughly 4 weeks.  Hers took 8 weeks.  The difference?  she got the newest version while I got the older version.  We must have hit them right at the transition from old to new and got one of each.

Have you gone to https://passportstatus.state.gov/ to check the status?  If it has been more than 10 weeks and you are not getting help from the state department, you could consider reaching out to your congressional representative. They can submit an urgent inquiry on your behalf to the appropriate U.S. Passport Agency officials, asking them to provide the status of your Passport, and if necessary, to request their assistance in expediting the processing and completion of the Passport.

That is very strange, I assume since he mailed in his birth certificate this is a first time application and not a renewal, do you recall which office you sent it to, because first time applicants and renewals get sent to two different locations, this also depends on which state you are in and if you send it to the wrong location than USPS will take their time to reroute it. also did you pay for it by personal check or money order? if it was a check see if it has cleared, if it hadn't then they haven't started processing it yet, I am unsure if you have the receipt from the money order if you can see if funds have been released. 

We just renewed my boyfriends passport, so i understand the stress you must be feeling so close to traveling. 

51 minutes ago, drjohn4 said:

Have you gone to https://passportstatus.state.gov/ to check the status?  If it has been more than 10 weeks and you are not getting help from the state department, you could consider reaching out to your congressional representative. They can submit an urgent inquiry on your behalf to the appropriate U.S. Passport Agency officials, asking them to provide the status of your Passport, and if necessary, to request their assistance in expediting the processing and completion of the Passport.

Thanks for this advice. I just sent in my passport renewal application.  I used the website above to check my status even thought I knew they may not have received it yet.  Yes, they have received my application and it is in process.  I have included a copy of my status from the website.  Easy Peasy!

image.thumb.jpeg.dc23f6139670d5e23ff4f1ac620cf697.jpeg

I went through this a month ago. We purposely obtained official copies of our birth certificates to send so we still had back up birth certificates just in case.  Our family of 3 applied back in June for passports. My wife and son got theirs back in 4 weeks. Mine did not and was still showing received and processing. Come to find out one number could not be read on my birth certificate. Prior to finding this out I already already reached out to our state senator Marco Rubio for help. While this was going on I received a letter from the passport processing then telling me this issue. But before I even sent back the letter with correcting the issue, our senator had it taken care of. My passport status changed to shipped and overnighted free of charge. Also got a letter from the senator office thank me for reaching out to help me. Plus I got the new passport where my wife and son got the old. 

My wife and sons birth certificates were returned about a month ago and mine was returned 2 weeks ago. The birth certificates or documentation will always be after the passport. 

So if I were you I would reach out to your governor or senator and also apply for another copy of birth certificate in case. 

VitalChek is the quickest and easiest way to get a copy of birth certificate. Most states refer you to this certified process and company. Where we got our extra ones before we applied for the passports. 

https://www.vitalchek.com/v/

It doesn't help now, but NEVER send your only copy of a document (birth certificate, marriage license, death certificate, etc).  Yes, it's true you can't send copies (as in copied on a copy machine) for certain things, but you can and should have more than one official copy (as in contains a raised seal or other mark) of important things.  There's no limit on how many such copies you can have.

40 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

It doesn't help now, but NEVER send your only copy of a document (birth certificate, marriage license, death certificate, etc).  Yes, it's true you can't send copies (as in copied on a copy machine) for certain things, but you can and should have more than one official copy (as in contains a raised seal or other mark) of important things.  There's no limit on how many such copies you can have.

Oh I agree! I think this lesson will now be learned on my partner’s side… 😉 

On 10/21/2022 at 9:35 AM, bluer101 said:

I went through this a month ago. We purposely obtained official copies of our birth certificates to send so we still had back up birth certificates just in case.  Our family of 3 applied back in June for passports. My wife and son got theirs back in 4 weeks. Mine did not and was still showing received and processing. Come to find out one number could not be read on my birth certificate. Prior to finding this out I already already reached out to our state senator Marco Rubio for help. While this was going on I received a letter from the passport processing then telling me this issue. But before I even sent back the letter with correcting the issue, our senator had it taken care of. My passport status changed to shipped and overnighted free of charge. Also got a letter from the senator office thank me for reaching out to help me. Plus I got the new passport where my wife and son got the old. 

My wife and sons birth certificates were returned about a month ago and mine was returned 2 weeks ago. The birth certificates or documentation will always be after the passport. 

So if I were you I would reach out to your governor or senator and also apply for another copy of birth certificate in case. 

VitalChek is the quickest and easiest way to get a copy of birth certificate. Most states refer you to this certified process and company. Where we got our extra ones before we applied for the passports. 

https://www.vitalchek.com/v/

Thank you so much for the link, we both ordered duplicate copies of our birth certificates just now!!! 🤩 

On 10/21/2022 at 8:30 AM, drjohn4 said:

That’s a great idea! It’s 10 weeks on Monday so if he doesn’t receive it by then (or if it doesn’t say shipped when we check the status) we’ll reach out to our representative! Thank you!!!

I can’t believe this but…the passport shows as delivered now but we didn’t receive it. This has turned nightmarish now as the passport people did what they were supposed to do (they mailed us his passport) but are now telling us that if it was lost in transit, we’ll have to go to a passport office within 2 weeks of travel. The nearest passport office to us is either San Diego or Los Angeles and we’re in Las Vegas! My partner is freaking out even more now…because there’s no way we can make that happen. So plan B…he can use his birth certificate and his real ID driver’s license, yes? Can he get off the ship at Cabo, Mazatlan, and Puerta Vallarta or will he have to stay on the ship the entire 7 day cruise? This situation is definitely putting an damper on our travel plans. Any suggestions would be most appreciated!!! 🙏 

The passport shows delivered? Okay, this happened to me. I went to the post office in charge of my mail, with "proof" it said delivered. They actually tracked it down, delivered to a similar address and the people had it not getting around to returning to post office. The post office personnel tracked it down and retrieved it for me. Worth a try, good luck we are all rooting for you. 

3 hours ago, CeciMami said:

So plan B…he can use his birth certificate and his real ID driver’s license, yes? Can he get off the ship at Cabo, Mazatlan, and Puerta Vallarta or will he have to stay on the ship the entire 7 day cruise? This situation is definitely putting an damper on our travel plans. Any suggestions would be most appreciated!!! 🙏 

Yes, he will be fine and be able to get off in all the ports.  

5 hours ago, CeciMami said:

I can’t believe this but…the passport shows as delivered now but we didn’t receive it. This has turned nightmarish now as the passport people did what they were supposed to do (they mailed us his passport) but are now telling us that if it was lost in transit, we’ll have to go to a passport office within 2 weeks of travel. The nearest passport office to us is either San Diego or Los Angeles and we’re in Las Vegas! My partner is freaking out even more now…because there’s no way we can make that happen. So plan B…he can use his birth certificate and his real ID driver’s license, yes? Can he get off the ship at Cabo, Mazatlan, and Puerta Vallarta or will he have to stay on the ship the entire 7 day cruise? This situation is definitely putting an damper on our travel plans. Any suggestions would be most appreciated!!! 🙏 

When you get on and off at the ports in Mexico, your SeaPass if your ticket to get back to the ship.   You will just carry that with you.  It tells the port authorities that the cruise line is vouching for your documentation.  As another person stated, at this point your only concern would be if you needed to get back home another way - such as flying - due to medical or other emergency.  Most the time - that is borrowing worry.  Get your birth certificates in hand and have a wonderful cruise!  btw - your timeline is similar to mine - are you sailing on the 11th of November on Navigator?