VOOM and Two Factor Authentication

I'm on Oasis in November and need to be able to log into my work email, but sometimes I am required to log in with two factor authentication (I think that's what it is). This means that I log in, enter my password, then am prompted to receive a text on my cell phone with a six-digit code. I assume I'll have to disconnect wifi on my laptop, connect on my cell and get the code, and reconnect on my laptop to enter the code. Has anyone had any experience/difficulty with this?

Yes, you will have to juggle unless you get a 2 device package.

When I first board while still in port, I always connect my laptop to the wifi and get it connected to my work email.  That way I still have my cell phone connection to receive the text message. 

My work has a checkbox that lets me choose to not have to reauthenticate for the next 30 days so I try to time that so I don't have to worry about it while I'm sailing if at all possible.

33 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Yes, you will have to juggle unless you get a 2 device package.

When I first board while still in port, I always connect my laptop to the wifi and get it connected to my work email.  That way I still have my cell phone connection to receive the text message. 

My work has a checkbox that lets me choose to not have to reauthenticate for the next 30 days so I try to time that so I don't have to worry about it while I'm sailing if at all possible.

That makes sense, thanks! I will plan to do that before we leave port. One good thing is that we will have cell service in our two ports in Mexico (We have the North American plan).

3 hours ago, Johnstewarth said:

am prompted to receive a text on my cell phone with a six-digit code. I assume I'll have to disconnect wifi on my laptop, connect on my cell and get the code, and reconnect on my laptop to enter the code. Has anyone had any experience/difficulty with this?

Maybe not, depending on your cellphone service provider. 

When I am on a ship, I NEVER put my phone in airplane mode. I simply turn off mobile data. I am still able to send & receive text messages. Verizon charges just 5 cents to receive a text and 50 cents to send one from the ship.

As an aside, by not having Airplane mode on, I am able to receive any emergency calls from home in the rare case that something happens while we are on a cruise.

(Like the time a pipe burst and my house flooded! When I saw my son's number calling me, I knew I had better answer. He knew I was cruising and wouldn't be calling just to chat. 😮)

NOTE - Verizon does not charge for the calls to your phone unless you answer them. There will also be no text charges unless you actually open the text message.

So, check with your provider, it may not be a problem!

3 hours ago, Johnstewarth said:

I think it is my organization or Outlook through my organization?

If it is Outlook - you might check with your organization about either using Microsoft authentication or they could possibly give you a token to use for traveling.  I am not sure the authentication will work for you logging in and out with one device - you would probably need to get 2 set up with internet.  With mine, it times out too quickly to log out of one and into another.

I do IT at a school and we require MFA when not on our network.  We use Microsoft MFA and if you are using Outlook and it requires MFA, then you are as well.  Your IT person can go into Azure AD and add email as a second authentication method which will allow you to get your code while connected to the ships WiFi and not worry about cell service.  You will only need one device going this route.  Also, ask your IT department if they block traffic from outside of your home area.  I know it may sound crazy, but we block traffic from VPN's or traffic outside of the Central Florida area to our network as a security measure.  We can unblock it on case by base basis, so if they do block it just ask to be exempted.

*** I personally stay away from the Microsoft Authentication app because if you get a new phone you will need your IT person to reset it in order for it to work ***