Royal Caribbean Amex platinum confusion

Jakegreena

Hi,

I have received a really big run around between some travel agents and amex for a RCL cruise.  I’ve been told that if I pay for a cruise in full with my amex platinum card that I could receive amex cruise privileges benefits with a $200 obc  for a balcony or above. I booked with a very large agency but they claim to have no idea what I am talking about.

supposdely from what I’ve been told all an agent needs to do is get a code from Amex after authorization and have it applied to my booking. Do you know if any agent can indeed do this and if so who they need to call or ask for at amex to generate the platinum discount authorization code?  

Does the agent have to be affiliated with Amex or have a relationship with Amex?  I’ve heard of people using both small and large agents who have booked with their platinum card and have not had an issue with redeeming the Amex cruise privileges benefits.  I find it strange such a large agency either doesn’t know what I’m referring to or is unable to help.

if the agency is unfamiliar with this, is there anyone at Amex i or they can call to receive an authorization code to be added to my booking?

thanks so much.

I guess the first question is - Who told you this?  Was it word of mouth?  Do you have anything in print to back it up?

I use my Amex Pt for my cruises and have never had any privileges or OBC.  I've also never read anywhere that my Amex would get me anything other than the option to pay for my cruise online!

11 hours ago, Jakegreena said:

Hi,

I have received a really big run around between some travel agents and amex for a RCL cruise.  I’ve been told that if I pay for a cruise in full with my amex platinum card that I could receive amex cruise privileges benefits with a $200 obc  for a balcony or above. I booked with a very large agency but they claim to have no idea what I am talking about.

supposdely from what I’ve been told all an agent needs to do is get a code from Amex after authorization and have it applied to my booking. Do you know if any agent can indeed do this and if so who they need to call or ask for at amex to generate the platinum discount authorization code?  

Does the agent have to be affiliated with Amex or have a relationship with Amex?  I’ve heard of people using both small and large agents who have booked with their platinum card and have not had an issue with redeeming the Amex cruise privileges benefits.  I find it strange such a large agency either doesn’t know what I’m referring to or is unable to help.

if the agency is unfamiliar with this, is there anyone at Amex i or they can call to receive an authorization code to be added to my booking?

thanks so much.

You will have to book through Amex

image.png.80c996cb9417313cb702311045396653.png

This only applies to bookings made through AMEX travel. My wife and I have a travel agent assigned to us through AMEX travel to make sure we are getting all our cruise privilege program perks for each sailing. Their responsiveness is pretty mediocre. 

I would guess this code they're talking about would be transferring an existing reservation to AMEX travel as the servicing agency. This is what I have done in the past after making next cruise reservations or reservations through the cruise line directly, but I don't think that will work if you made the initial booking with a different travel agency.

Also you need to book through AMEX travel if you want to get your double points for cruise fare. 

i will say we used amex platinum to book our cruise in full in sept through our travel agent and we DID get $200 OBC. can't remember if the TA framed it as an OBC coming from them or amex, but she did tell me that amex works with them to give perks to cruisers so i don't think she was hiding anything.

can confirm we also have the $200 OBC showing up in our cruise planner for our december odyssey cruise, and we did book a balcony cabin.

obviously your mileage may vary -- perhaps not all TAs are affiliated with amex/do the program -- but ours was, and evidently our booking and time of booking fit the right criteria.

On 10/18/2022 at 1:04 AM, Jakegreena said:

That agency probably doesn't want to deal with the additional steps involved.  If you want to use the Amex Plat Cruise Privileges program, you need to find a new travel agent that is willing to do the extra steps.

On 10/18/2022 at 12:33 PM, Coastalmikey said:

You will have to book through Amex

Untrue.  I have used my non-amex travel agent to book cruises and get the Amex Plat benefits.

On 10/18/2022 at 5:05 PM, asquared17 said:

obviously your mileage may vary ... and evidently our booking and time of booking fit the right criteria.

That is the key.  It seems like many of the Royal Carribean promos don't combine with the Amex program, so it never seems to work out for me.

I've had better luck using it (with the same travel agent) for my cruises on Cunard.  

• 2 months later...

I too am an AMEX Platinum cardholder as well as a travel agent.  When you book with certain cruise lines you are able to receive the benefits of the AMEX cruise privileges program.  Generally cruise must be 6 nights or more and benefit is dependent on category of stateroom booked.  If you use a travel agent that is registered with AMEX to book their clients in to the Cruise Privileges program, you should not have any issues in obtaining these fabulous benefits that many times include onboard credit for your stateroom and up to 2 other staterooms that you book on the same sailing.  If you need more info on this, feel free to email me at:  [email protected]