Stay in Miami

KimV

For those that have stayed near the airport the night before a cruise in Miami, are there things to do in that area?  We have always stayed near the cruise port and enjoyed walking to Bayside but the cost for the hotels downtown have really gone up.  Just looking for hotel recommendations and what might be in the area.

There is not that much in that area. The 94th Aerosquadron restaurant is near there and one of my faves when I lived in Miami. You can go to Little Havana for some good Cuban food. Some malls nearby. If you do not have a car, you prob will not be doing much, all depends where you stay. Read the reviews; Miami, like most cities, has amazing areas but just a couple of blocks away can be a high crime area.   

On 10/17/2022 at 2:03 PM, KimV said:

For those that have stayed near the airport the night before a cruise in Miami, are there things to do in that area?  We have always stayed near the cruise port and enjoyed walking to Bayside but the cost for the hotels downtown have really gone up.  Just looking for hotel recommendations and what might be in the area.

@KimVI actually found a deco hotel (South Beach Plaza Hotel) on Collins Ave, 2 blocks walk from the beach for one night for $230.  The reviews are mixed but we are only there for 1 night and our flight gets in early the day before the cruise so we will drop our bags and walk to the beach or stroll Ocean drive.

I like staying in Coconut Grove.  Its a little south of the hustle and bustle but close enough to Bayside if you want to venture up there.  At 9 miles from the cruise port, it isn't terribly far and on the weekend, should be about a 20 min drive max.  The Marriott Courtyard on Bayshore is a recently redone and modern facility that has a Fresh Market and a CVS across the street plus some dining options all within a few blocks of walking (I'd recommend Bombay Darbar if you like Indian food).

Has anyone reading ever stayed at the South Beach Plaza Hotel on Collins Ave in South Beach?  I got a room reserved there for $250 which is absolutely nuts low for South Beach where most places are $400+

The reviews are pretty mixed though and it makes me a little apprehensive vs paying a little more for a chain hotel with pool....Location wise it's superb as it's literally 2 blocks walk to the sand and one block over from Ocean Drive.  Our flight gets in at 10a so we have the whole day to kill....but, it's one night and being right there in close proximity to plenty of things to see during day and places to eat will allow us to Uber there then Uber to port the next day.

Any feedback or personal knowledge (I've read Trip Advisor reviews) would be great to hear from fellow RC Cruisers.

@Mike T, awesome spot! Perfect! Right about there is where Collins becomes beachfront (c 5th to 14th), parallel to Ocean Dr. Typically, the hotels there are decent, but they are usually so packed that they may not be in the absolute best conditions. That is more of a tourist hotel than the other full on luxury ones. However, it will be fine. Go down a few blocks north, hang west and walk Lincoln Rd. It is the local pedestrian mall with boutiques, cafes, outdoor dining, galleries, etc. Everything is expensive in South Beach, but Lincoln is must better than Ocean Dr. 

On 10/21/2022 at 9:28 PM, Adriana said:

@Mike T, awesome spot! Perfect! Right about there is where Collins becomes beachfront (c 5th to 14th), parallel to Ocean Dr. Typically, the hotels there are decent, but they are usually so packed that they may not be in the absolute best conditions. That is more of a tourist hotel than the other full on luxury ones. However, it will be fine. Go down a few blocks north, hang west and walk Lincoln Rd. It is the local pedestrian mall with boutiques, cafes, outdoor dining, galleries, etc. Everything is expensive in South Beach, but Lincoln is must better than Ocean Dr. 

is there a charge to access the beach?

On 10/21/2022 at 9:28 PM, Adriana said:

Yeah, I'm somewhat familiar with the area in terms of proximity to beach and the amount of places to eat/shop/see.  I stayed at the Lowes up the street for a convention several years ago and we did a little walking around.  My issue with this property is that I think it's a busy bar in the evening and at some point, I'm gonna want to get some sleep!  😅.  It's still reserved but I'm looking at other options as well.  I really appreciate all the info you've provided.  We'll see what happens.  I just don't want to drop $350+ for one night...and I know that's cheap in this area.  That's why I scooped it up because of the price for that area.

@Mike T, oooh, yeah, good luck to you!! I would hear all the noise up in the 15th floor of the Decoplage (beachfront on Lincoln). If you are a light sleeper or need quiet and darkness, you def will have a hard time. Many places stay open 24/7 and the clubs and bars close at 5am, so it is all night. You will be hearing quite a bit from the street, too.