Flight time after cruise - Miami

After our previous cruise out of Miami, we had a flight late in the evening so didn’t go straight to the airport after disembarking. This time, we have the choice of two flights. The earlier flight has the advantage of a much easier connecting airport for the second leg of the journey home. It leaves at 11:45 am on a Saturday in March. If we self disembark early and head straight to the airport, is it likely we will be ok? I generally see flights recommended from noon on, and this is only slightly earlier, but is it too tight?

The other option is later, and connects through a much busier airport which is notoriously unpleasant to connect through.

Anything before noon is seriously pushing it. You are assuming that the ship will even arrive to Miami on time, which doesn’t always happen. The only way I personally would attempt a time that early, was IF I was flying home first class and had priority checkin, bag drop off, and security priority. My advice would be to spend a night in Miami and take that 11:45 flight out the next day.

6 hours ago, Ryan79 said:

Anything before noon is seriously pushing it. You are assuming that the ship will even arrive to Miami on time, which doesn’t always happen. The only way I personally would attempt a time that early, was IF I was flying home first class and had priority checkin, bag drop off, and security priority. My advice would be to spend a night in Miami and take that 11:45 flight out the next day.

None of your qualifiers apply to us in this instance. We would not be able to spend another night so would have to take a later flight out and connect at an airport I would prefer to avoid. Still, maybe that will have to be the case.

2 hours ago, wordell1 said:

I would normally say noon, but 11:45 is close enough.

I would carry your own luggage off which will allow you to get off asap.

Yes, we would definitely carry off our own luggage as soon as we could.

12 minutes ago, Kathleen said:

@Castle Cruiser are you flying to Knoxville? We are also flying at 1145 and prefer that because it flies through Charlotte. Our flight was changed in Charlotte with a quick connection but I am not worried about that in Charlotte. 

No, we are flying back to western Canada and are trying to avoid connecting in Toronto.

I think you will be fine.

We flew out of Miami in April with an 11:30 flight time. Got off the ship leisurely and took a taxi to the airport. We were at the airport before 9:00 am.

Taxi rides to the airport from the cruise port are a flat rate of $27.

Because it was a weekday, surge prices on Lyft and Uber were a bit more.

1 hour ago, Pattycruise said:

Can you see what Air2 Sea offers and maybe purchase a ticket through them. If the ship is late getting in for whatever reason Air2Sea will handle your rebooking, otherwise you’re on your own.

Our travel agent was pricing it through Air Canada Vacations so that the air and cruise are packaged together. I’m thinking in this case, if they have packaged this flight with the cruise and we didn’t have enough time, they would have to help with rebooking. I have not booked this way before but it seems the pricing is advantageous.

13 hours ago, Castle Cruiser said:

After our previous cruise out of Miami, we had a flight late in the evening so didn’t go straight to the airport after disembarking. This time, we have the choice of two flights. The earlier flight has the advantage of a much easier connecting airport for the second leg of the journey home. It leaves at 11:45 am on a Saturday in March. If we self disembark early and head straight to the airport, is it likely we will be ok? I generally see flights recommended from noon on, and this is only slightly earlier, but is it too tight?

The other option is later, and connects through a much busier airport which is notoriously unpleasant to connect through.

You will be fine with a 11:45 flight. Just take your own luggage off to remove one more potential problem.

I'm looking at flights from Miami in January and the difference between leaving befor 8:30AM or after 12pm is $500 plus per person 😞

We will probably spend the night in Miami and fly out early the following morning to save a pile of money. I really envy folks who live within driving distance of ports. 

41 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

You will be fine with a 11:45 flight. Just take your own luggage off to remove one more potential problem.

I'm looking at flights from Miami in January and the difference between leaving befor 8:30AM or after 12pm is $500 plus per person 😞

We will probably spend the night in Miami and fly out early the following morning to save a pile of money. I really envy folks who live within driving distance of ports. 

Thanks … from your user name, I suspect we are flying out of the same airport. I can’t believe how much the cost of flights to Miami have gone up since our last flights to Florida in 2018 and 2019.

24 minutes ago, Castle Cruiser said:

Thanks … from your user name, I suspect we are flying out of the same airport. I can’t believe how much the cost of flights to Miami have gone up since our last flights to Florida in 2028 and 2019.

Yeah the prices have gone crazy. The dates we are looking at for January 2023 are more than double of what we normally pay. I could go on 2 more cruises for the price of round trip airfare 😢

january and february flights are almost always insane too because who wants to be anywhere but somewhere warm (for those of us who live in colder climates)??

like the others have said, you should be fine for the 11:45 -- if there is anything you can do to speed the process up (like a TSA precheck or global traveler -- forgive me if i am being ignorant, not sure what your travel equivalent is for canada) this would also increase the smoothness of your processing through security, etc.

even faster option: there are some who can do with a carryon and not need to check luggage -- although for a week long cruise, that is certainly not me 🤣 but this would certainly cut down on your wait time, esp because you will be traveling internationally and there is typically a 3-hour minimum that you must be at the airport ahead of time.

we have the 12:25 out of miami and i remember being there last time with a ton of time to kill and sitting in a super outdated terminal while we waited for the hours to pass. but better safe than sorry!

On 10/17/2022 at 12:56 AM, Castle Cruiser said:

It isn’t too early. We had one much earlier and we had plenty of time (we were the first group off bc of the suites, but the first walk-offs were very close on our heels). We were at the airport 2 hours prior to our 10:20 am flight. Don’t stress 🙂

Being landlocked all our cruises result in airfare. Fortunately, we are able to fly SWAIR out of Nashville. Texas and Florida are fairly short 2 to 2 1/2 hour flights as we book early enough to get non stop. But Florida is expensive in the winter while Texas is a bit less.

Our April cruise on Wonder will be a new experience, new ship and never traveled to the port out of Orlando.

Catching a flight at 11:45 out of MIA is okay even if you don't have TSA Pre✅

Try to be off the ship by 8:30 a.m. at the latest.  There will be taxis waiting or (you won't have to wait very long for a taxi) outside the terminal and you will be at the airport by 9:15-9:25 a.m.. Even without TSA Pre✅ you can check-in, tag your bags and get through security and still have plenty of time to spare.

If you are flying domestically within the lower 48 most airlines usually don't start boarding until 45 minutes before departure on larger narrowbody aircraft on small narrowbody aircraft boarding will commence 35 minutes prior to departure. You should be through security by 10:25 a.m. which gives you at least 35 minutes maybe more to leisurely stroll from security over to your departure gate.