Coffee

Censored

On 10/17/2022 at 11:22 PM, memebag said:

My daily coffee is either Sidamo Guji or Ethiopian Harrar, both natural process, bought as whole, green beans. I roast them in batches of 12 ounces (just to full city roast, just as first crack dies down) so the roasted beans are always between 2 and 12 days old, stored in special containers that allow them to outgas CO2. I grind them immediately before brewing. My water is a consistent 212F, and my drip brewer simulates a pour-over. It's the best coffee in the world.

I fully expect to hate the coffee on my first cruise, much as I hate coffee almost everywhere except my house.

A drip brew and best coffee in the world should never be used together no matter what beans you are using.

The Lavazza pods were good. I'd say more of a medium roast. I just asked our cabin steward to get regular instead of decaf day 1 and it wasn't an issue the rest of the cruise. Neither was getting as many as I asked for. Cafe Latte-tudes on board was serving Illy espresso for their drinks.

Happy Cruising!

15 hours ago, Coda_Sarah said:

Me too!  I had to ask for half and half every time. The creamer in the little capsules are terrible and I don’t put milk in my coffee.  Thankfully they were great about bringing out half and half.  The funny thing is each time I asked, our table mates would ask for the same once they knew it was available.

Thanks for commenting!  I will be sure to ask more directly on our next cruise (Wonder) and raise my coffee mug to you if I'm successful!  

• 2 months later...

Was on Explorer over Xmas and this is our first RC cruise where the Cafe Promenade Barista coffee was closed from 10pm-6am.  We have been on 4 other ships (pre and post covid) and have always been able to get barista coffee earlier than 6am ( we are early risers)

On 10/16/2022 at 2:43 PM, ChessE4 said:

In June on the Mariner, I found the complimentary coffee in the MDR better than in the Promenade. 

On 10/16/2022 at 6:02 PM, TessOR said:

The coffee in the MDR definitely seems different than anywhere else on board.  It is deep and rich.  WJ coffee makes me think of what you get at work from a Boyd's pot. 

On 10/18/2022 at 12:24 PM, billnye97 said:

So the reality of it is you have to go to Starbucks or Cafe on the Promenade to get a decent cup? Especially if it is an Americano or Latte? I'm trying to plan for myself and the wife. I have no problem traveling to another area in the morning to get the kind we like. 

I concur that the MDR had much better coffee than elsewhere on the ship (Allure, April 2022), ESPECIALLY Windjammer. Promenade was ok. MDR > Promenade > Windjammer (IMO). We had a coffee card and I was so surprised by how much I enjoyed the MDR coffee that we ended up scrambling to use up our punches in the Promenade at the end of the cruise. I wouldn't call myself a coffee snob because I don't know much about it, but I do know we drink good flavored coffee at home (an espresso roast from Trader Joe's) and grind it fresh before using, so I can usually tell a better flavored coffee from a bad flavored coffee...

• 7 months later...

Thanks for all the help on the "coffee" subject.  I just returned from my cruise to find the coffee onboard an extra bonus.  I'm talking about the MDR.  I even believe the Windjammer and room service provided better than average coffee.  So, Through this bog and after asking my server in the MDR, the brand is Lavazza.  So I run tot their website and find a ton of options.  Does anyone know what type of Lavazza is served?  I'd love to purchase what I was served.  Thanks for all your help in advance.