Elevator tips?

FManke

I've read all the tips about using the stairs instead of the elevators to save time as they are very crowded. I have a bad knee, so stairs are not an option except floor to floor and only going down. Any tips on using the elevators except leave extra time to get where you're going?

Depending upon where your room is located, the forward elevators are often far less busy than the aft elevators.  Of course, if your stateroom is located aft then it's not logical to go all the way forward to use the elevators....but if you have a choice, the forward ones are usually less busy,

I find the worst time for elevators is immediately after the muster drill.  If you cannot place yourself in a position to "sprint" to the elevators at the end of the muster drill (beat the crowd), I recommend you go and find a place to cool your jets and wait for that mania to pass.

Other obvious times for busy elevators is during disembarkation at ports.  If your schedule permits, I would recommend waiting at least 1 hour after the ship is cleared for disembark before trying to leave.  If you cannot wait that long, remember that sometimes it is best to board an elevator that is going up even though you want to go down (or vice versa) b/c when things are very crowded, any spot on the elevator will do in a pinch, knowing that it will eventually go where you want to go.

The elevators aren't that bad except for peak times. The real problem in my opinion is the behavior of some of the other passengers. The only cuing process send foreign to done and others push both the up and down buttons so they can get on whichever elevators shows up first, which of course ties up the elevators. In reality, though, this only happened about a half dozen times on the Allure, about once per day.

Another strategy, risky after leaving a crowded venue is to go to the other end of the ship where the elevators will be less crowded.

I've read all the tips about using the stairs instead of the elevators to save time as they are very crowded. I have a bad knee, so stairs are not an option except floor to floor and only going down. Any tips on using the elevators except leave extra time to get where you're going?

When the doors open....get on!!   It may not be going in the direction you set out for...but eventually, you will be able to get to your desired floor.  

When the doors open....get on!!   It may not be going in the direction you set out for...but eventually, you will be able to get to your desired floor.  

More to the point, if you find all elevators going in the direction you want full, take a ride on an elevator in the opposite direction and like Stoneman said, it will eventually take you where you want.

Guest toodle68

The problem with the elevators (and I dont know how to solve this) is that they fill up on the lower or upper floors and then end up stopping at every floor even when full because of people waiting. So it takes an age to cycle. During peak times, they also do not go to the next floor requested, they go all the way up and all the way down.. which if you are on deck 2 and all 4 elevators are going up and just left your deck, you have at least a 10 minute wait. 

My tips..  

We always walk down and rarely ever use the elevators down unless we are on say 10, going to 1 or 2 and it's not busy.

If we come out of an event, theater etc, then we walk to the opposite end of the ship and use those elevators

If it is really busy, we sit down and people watch, or stroll around deck 4 or 5.

My personal favorite is to zig zag to the top..  up one floor, walk to the opposite end of the ship, up one floor, repeat until the top. This allows me to have a 2nd desert at dinner.

My advice is to have patience. One thing I constantly observe is the number of people who don't observe elevator etiquette. I attribute this to people who don't live or work in buildings with elevators -- it can really get to you if you let it -- I work on the 11th floor of a building, and the differences in behavior are amazing.

I usually check to see if elevators are below me when I want to go up or above me when I want to go down. If that isn't the case, I check the other side, use the stairs or go forward if I am aft. This works well on Freedom and Voyager class ships, because the Promenade or pool deck is usually the destination. I can't speak to Oasis or Quantum class ships.

My complaint is when an elevator shows up, and you have to walk to the other end of the lobby to get it, someone onboard presses the close doors button as soon as the doors open so you have no chance to catch it.  Once again, not following good elevator etiquette.

First off, thank you for your service Bob!

I agree with what everybody has said about etiquette. It goes beyond just the elevators of course. The world would be a much better place if everybody just cared half as much for each other, as they care about themselves. A little goes a long way.

My complaint is when an elevator shows up, and you have to walk to the other end of the lobby to get it, someone onboard presses the close doors button as soon as the doors open so you have no chance to catch it.  Once again, not following good elevator etiquette.

Iv noticed that and was completely shocked. While on the elevator iv watched people hit the close door button (rapid fire) the second it opens, barely giving anyone a chance to get on. I want to call them out on it but I find it hard when im on vacation.

One thing that amazes me is how people push their way on the elevator before letting anyone off, it's hard to get off when you have others pushing their way one. And I mean pushing, no hesitation either.

On one of our last group cruises I asked Matt if Americans wait for people to get off the evevator before they go on. I wasn't trying to be sarcastic or critical, it was just getting to the point where I thought it was a cultural thing. He assured me that they do wait normally, I guess it's just the vacationers mindset sometimes.

It's the instant gratification generation. I want it and I want it now. People don't want to wait for anything now. I blame microwave popcorn and instant rice! ;) They even sell microwave instant rice! :blink:

I blame high speed internet. I think we should go back to 300 baud dialup modems so we can really appreciate delayed gratification. While we're at it, we should bring back rotary phones; that should slow things down.

How about the ones that get off the elevator and stand right in the door to figure out where they want to go?  Blocking the way for anyone else to get on or get off.

I think it is primarily due to the conglomeration of different nationalities with different traditions and ways of doing things.  Like an American going to the UK.  In the US we drive and walk on the right, in the UK they drive and walk on the left.  Leads to a lot of bumping into others.  (and then there are the rude ones from certain nations (not gonna mention any in particular here.))

Guest toodle68

Not really a tip bit more of a comment/plea.  Please people, if you are able, use the stairs (especially going down) and leave the elevators for those that truly require them.  Besides keeping the elevators less crowded, you can burn off that third dessert you had at dinner.   ;)

I suggested something like that in a post a couple of months back.. indicating how many people (who looked totally fit and able) got on to go up or down 1 deck.. and promptly got blasted because I could not know all the injuries people have..

During peak times one has to wait a little bit longer for an elevator, so what? I am on vacation and have all the time in the world and who cares if I am coming 1 minute too late? I will never understand why people are on stress mode when being on a cruise ship. So, when you have to wait make the best of it, gives you time for some social studies and people watching :-)

While we're pontificating on the virtues of elevators, I will say RC's elevator "logic" baffles my mind.  The classic example is there is an elevator one floor away, but the "system" decides to send an elevator 10 floors away to pick you up.  

I've often wondered who did the programming, testing and validation of that system.  Perhaps it is an evil plot to discourage elevator use in an attempt to make us all exercise more by using the stairs. ;)

While we're pontificating on the virtues of elevators, I will say RC's elevator "logic" baffles my mind.  The classic example is there is an elevator one floor away, but the "system" decides to send an elevator 10 floors away to pick you up.  

Maybe it's first come, first served. The elevator just goes to where it was called from first, regardless of what's in between.

Maybe it's first come, first served. The elevator just goes to where it was called from first, regardless of what's in between.

That kind of makes sense, but then that means it's on an express trip to wherever the people hit the buttons inside the elevator.  However, we know the elevator will stop along the way for other people who hit the button on the deck. 

• 2 weeks later...