How to Access Digital Cruise Compass

MattG

Hi everyone,

I've heard about the Cruise Compass "going digital", and all the activities are in the Royal app. I don't mind it, but my wife certainly misses the paper Cruise Compass - something to read in bed, or at a meal and plan the day rather than relying on technology to find events. Even then, it's several more steps (find phone, unlock phone, find & open Royal app, fix WiFi, re-open the app, find the Planner, etc). 

I've recently seen a few Cruise Compasses pop up in the archive that look like perfect PDF replicas of the Cruise Compass, but while on board Oasis there was no indication of how to access it. On Day 6, I flipped through the TV stations and went to the Cruise Compass channel, where I was presented with a QR code, which goes to:

https://minio.rccl.com/compass/cruisecompass.pdf

Lo and behold, it's the PROPER Cruise Compass in PDF form! While I can't print this out, it's identical to the paper Cruise Compass that's being phased out. The URL above should work for anyone connected to ship WiFi. 

Interesting option. From what I have been reading Royal is still printing the Cruise Compasses up, just not as many as they used to. You can request them from your room steward and they'll be delivered to your cabin each evening like before. It was like that on my last cruise this past May.

10 minutes ago, USFFrank said:

From what I have been reading Royal is still printing the Cruise Compasses up, just not as many as they used to. You can request them from your room steward and they'll be delivered to your cabin each evening like before. It was like that on my last cruise this past May.

On our cruise on Anthem last December, it took until Day 3 to get regular Cruise Compasses (I was able to get our attendant to gather a Day 1 and Day 2 copy for me to complete the set).

On our current cruise on Oasis, no amount of cajoling or reminding our attendant has produced consistent Cruise Compasses. We ask every day, and we've only been given Day 3 and Day 5 in our stateroom. I've seen them around in other guests hands so I know they exist. I've resorted to nicking them off the attendant's cart (sorry bro) or picking up folded-up leftovers. I could go to Guest Services but that would be a hike, plus however long standing in line. It's certainly made me use the app more, but for people like my wife, she'll just go without it and not really check the app, possibly missing out on something she'd might want to do. 

On our recent Anthem cruise, Guest Services had sheets with the QR codes on the shelves where the paper compasses would normally be. I downloaded the first day's one but didn't bother after that because there was a paper one in our room on arrival and I asked our stateroom attendant to provide us with one every day.

It occurred to me, however, that I could conceivably have printed a copy myself using the printers in the onboard Internet cafe. I reckon you'd need to have Internet to do it though, as I think I would have had to email it to myself and print it out from there. It would have been a faff, for sure, but if they hadn't given me the paper ones I was up for trying it.

Was given them nightly after requesting on day one on Indy in July. Will do the same on Indy in 9 days assuming it's still an option.

We use the daily planner, calendar, and other features of the app (like dining/bar venue schedules) and don't really need the paper compass but we like to have it out of tradition & nostalgia.

6 hours ago, Matt said:

More info on this new option, which seems to be the norm now fleetwide: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2022/08/29/spotted-digital-copy-downloads-of-the-cruise-compass

Thanks for this - this is also what prompted me to go digging. So much of the marketing around the ship is “Use the app! Use the app!”. We didn’t see the “Cruise Compass going green” card in our stateroom, the first time we saw it was on the Cruise Compass TV channel. 

11 hours ago, FionaMG said:

On our recent Anthem cruise, Guest Services had sheets with the QR codes on the shelves where the paper compasses would normally be

Yep, at Oasis’s Guest Services is the same thing: empty CC boards, but a QR code nearby. 

On Harmony 10/2 - 10/9 we received a paper copy of the Cruise Compass every evening for the next day and the Day 1 Sail-away compass was there on Day 1.  The cruise director mad mention of the online cruise compass but I never found it until I saw the QR code at guest services on day 3. 

I'm really really really really hoping to get paper copies.  Not only do I love pouring over it in bed (yes I could do my tablet but I love the paper!!), but I'm a scrapbooker.  It is really helpful for me to have the paper copies to refer to for scheduling and helping organize my pics.  Jane

On my recent Allure cruise, my cabin steward starting leaving me one each day after seeing the paper one that I had picked up in Guest Services. Guest Services did not have them in the holder wall as in the past for easy access, but they did have a few at the desk that you could ask for or sneak in and grab (on the low spot of the desk between the sections of staff).