Haiti

Lesa t

Labadee (the Royal Caribbean area)   for us has been completely event-free.  Beautiful beach and amenities.  The open market area, however, pretty sketchy with the extremely pushy vendors.  They make it very scary to not buy, as they will flock around us and follow us throughout the venue.  Not completely unlike other Caribbean tourist ports, but Labadee has been the worst.  I wont leave the beach next time I'm there. 

You won’t be going to a part of Haiti where you will have any interaction with the general public. Lebadee is a completely secure part of the country that is not near any city. The site is completely fenced in. Even if you wanted to, the option to get off the ship and explore Haiti doesn’t exist. You will be more safe at Lebadee than ANY other port (except maybe CocoCay!) or US city. 
The post above is referring to a part of Lebadee where locals can sell their crafts and other goods to tourists. It’s NOT an open market where just anyone in Haiti can walk around and set up shop. Yes, the vendors can be pushy by American standards, but to call them scary is bit overboard. 

Haiti is a wonderful place with incredible people. It's also incredibly poor and undeveloped. It's not for the faint of heart, but I've never had an issue during my visits there. 

That being said...as my predecessors on this thread have said, you are only "kinda sorta" in Haiti. For all intents and purposes, you are anywhere put Haiti and you will never see the real Haiti, for good and for bad. It's a beautiful place, enjoy. 

I have to be honest and say that I don’t scare easily, but it doesn’t bother me to go to Haiti (and this section isn’t really as if you were going to the heart of Haiti). And honestly, the livelihoods of the people that work at Labadie from close by villages have just been devastated by the pandemic so I have been so happy to have been twice in the last 8 week (it is my favorite private island by far.  

1 hour ago, AlohaLivin said:

it is my favorite private island by far.  

1 hour ago, Allen2 said:

extra caution may be necessary on this island.  

Just because I'm a professional nit-picker 🙂 - Labadee is not an island, it's a fenced-off peninsula. It's fully connected by land to the rest of Haiti, and only a 20-30 minute drive from Cap-Haitien, one of the largest cities/towns in Haiti. 

3 hours ago, Ryan79 said:

Yes, the vendors can be pushy by American standards, but to call them scary is bit overboard. 

I was on/at Labadee last week, traveling solo. I did go into the craft market and did find the sellers very pushy. But I never felt threatened or scared at all - first of all, it's open air, not a closed building. They are just trying to sell stuff & make some sort of living. They absolutely backed off when I told them I was not going to make a purchase (and then the guy in the next stall would start up) Bottom line, when I had enough, I walked away, no problem.

As others have said, it's a private, secured peninsula that's made into a Royal beach day resort and you can see the ship from wherever you are pretty much.

We enjoyed our time in Labadee. However, walking around the market isn’t like walking around your mall. Yes, the vendors are very persistent. However, you are free to negotiate (and you should).

There is absolutely no way to leave the Labadee area - there’s no public transportation whatsoever. Just a bus that circles around to different parts of Labadee.

The only mishap I’ve heard of was a few years ago, a few locals were protesting in boats by the dock. So Royal skipped the port.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/01/19/political-protests-haiti-prevent-royal-caribbean-guests-going-labadee

6 hours ago, Zacharius said:

Just because I'm a professional nit-picker 🙂

Going to have to admit that I don’t spend a lot of time with professional nitpickers, but since this nitpick quoted me in particular I suppose that I should respond with a correction of your correction. 😂 In the cruise business all of these destinations are referred to as private “islands” (often both officially by the lines and in the common use by cruisers). Thus, in this case the definition is not a geographic one but a cruise specific one and therefore “island”is correct within that morenarrow vernacular (as evidenced by the highly  knowledgeable bloggers here at RCB when referring to Labadee). 😬

DBBBF5B5-6B66-4079-8AFF-947B064261B8.jpeg

6 hours ago, Allen2 said:

One note about Labadee:  friends had an expensive camera stolen after turning away for "just a minute".  We all realize that this can happen anywhere, but extra caution may be necessary on this island.  

That was most likely another cruiser and had nothing to do with anyone who lives in Haiti. That could have just as easily happened on the ship.

Can we please put this to rest? Labadee is an incredible “island” and the infrastructure that was constructed by RC provides a safe and fun day in a beautiful location. I personally cannot imagine a single facet of this place that could be described as “scary”, that’s just laughable. Maybe the small rocks at barefoot beach that cut the crap out of your feet can be described as “scary” but even that’s a stretch. Enjoy Labadee as it’s another gem of a stop and always makes for a great beach day and so much more. You could always just drink the day away with enough Labadoozie’s to make you forget about the fact that although you are safe, it’s only a hop, skip & a jump to the war torn Haitian capitol city…… Don’t be scared

Labadee is my favorite "island' destination that Royal goes to.  It's natural beauty just can't be beat.  I wish more itineraries went here.  BTW, if we are going to start using proper terms like peninsula for our beloved "islands" that aren't technically islands, then from now on we can't call ships "her/she" anymore either.   

And also, I forgot to mention in my previous post…the last thing Royal or any cruise line needs is bad PR. If they truly felt that guests and crew were in any danger, then they would adjust accordingly. They have before and they will again.

I totally get it - whenever I tell people that we went to Haiti, I almost always get a look of surprise and I have to explain that we were in a remote private area (I’ve been referring to it as a “private resort” for what it’s worth!). I can tell that they’ve been on a Royal cruise there previously if they DON’T give me a surprised look haha.

Labadee in located on the northern side of Haiti in a remote area that is nearly mountainous.  The general area is not cut-off from the rest of Haiti but it is remote and more difficult to get to.  The area and small fishing village that Labadee is named after prospers from Royal's presence.  This area is unlike areas to the south of Haiti or near its capital Port-au-prince. 

Royal built a school for the local village and employs hundreds.  This may sound trivial but it isn't.  Having a proper school in a well built structure isn't common in all areas of Haiti.   The last I saw 300 hundred are employed in addition to 200 local artisans that are permitted to enter to sell local their items.  Their contribution to the general area has injected a lot of money into local economy.  As a guide while jet skiing pointed out you can see new construction using modern building techniques in this area unlike a lot of other areas around Haiti.  While the news media flashes images of Haiti from the populous areas the local sentiment is in this area very different.  The media is not wrong for portraying Haiti the way it does.  The system of government and overall state of affairs leaves a lot to desire.  Despite that the local atmosphere in this area is very different.  

Royal doesn't market Labadee as an island, mostly guests use that label.  Royal calls both CocoCay and Labadee "Private Destinations".

Calling it a private resort is a good idea and sums it up pretty well. I'm going to use that description from now on when I try to explain "visiting Haiti" on a cruise to people who have never been there. I generally just admire Labadee from the top deck of the ship while docked but understand many people enjoy the time there very much. And yes, the vendors at the market are pushy, sometimes VERY pushy but no one should fear for their safety. The resort is just an extension of the ship (with the exception of some vendors) and if you've never been you should go and enjoy it. 

On our last trip to Labadee (pre-Covid) we found the fixed price souvenir shop a very pleasant place to shop.  It was hassle-free, and my wife loved the colorful tops she bought.  There was no need to visit the other vendors unless you wanted to haggle about prices.

19 hours ago, WAYNO said:

Labadee (the Royal Caribbean area)   for us has been completely event-free.  Beautiful beach and amenities.  The open market area, however, pretty sketchy with the extremely pushy vendors.  They make it very scary to not buy, as they will flock around us and follow us throughout the venue.  Not completely unlike other Caribbean tourist ports, but Labadee has been the worst.  I wont leave the beach next time I'm there. 

We sail on the 23rd from Miami with Labadee one of the stops. I've read exactly this countless times. Not looking forward to that stop just for that reason.

21 minutes ago, RichCruise7 said:

We sail on the 23rd from Miami with Labadee one of the stops. I've read exactly this countless times. Not looking forward to that stop just for that reason.

You can very easily avoid the open air market and those sellers.  They are all wearing orange t-shirts.  The other shopping can be more enjoyable.

It's like a restroom in a castle.  You don't know it stinks if you just don't visit it.

I was in Haiti in February.  I'll admit, I was a bit nervous as we were one of the 1st cruise ships to start going back there.   We heard there was pushy people at the market from people next to us at the beach, we did not venture off there.  A worker brought us to a beach with calmer waves and a few chairs w/ umbrella.  He was super nice.   We really enjoyed snorkeling and the buffet and bathrooms was right behind the beach area.  We would definitely go back to try the coaster and what else the area offers.

I visited Labadee for the first time in August along with Aruba and Curacao.  We did our shopping at the other ports and totally enjoyed every aspect of Labadee sans the shopping…thereby avoiding what many of you complain about.  I rate Labadee as a perfect 10.  I don’t understand how someone would not look forward to this port simply because of a very small area that you can positively avoid!  Now, if the entire island or perhaps the walkways leading to the beaches were lined with aggressive sellers my opinion might change (or maybe not).  But, come on…this is a gorgeous beach getaway!  Don’t let one very tiny area ruin what will be one of your best days of the cruise!  
the above comment is my opinion only…😏😉

49 minutes ago, RichCruise7 said:

You have to decide to go into the local selling area...It's not in an area that you will encounter during your normal day at Labadee...Unless you want to.

12 minutes ago, Psycho and Barb said:

You have to decide to go into the local selling area...It's not in an area that you will encounter during your normal day at Labadee...Unless you want to.

Exactly....and it's important to note that the vendors from this area are not permitted to leave that area, so they cannot encroach on any of the leisure areas of the port.  It is 100% possible to avoid the vendors if this is something that concerns you.  I have gotten some pretty cool stuff there, over the years...just sayin'.

5 hours ago, RichCruise7 said:

As others have said, enjoy Labadee, as it's quite wonderful.  You don't have to participate in the market.  And even if you're of strong heart and decide to shop anyway, not everybody has had the same experiences that we had in the marketplace. 🤔