All reservations completely full four months out…is this common?

Sunny_D

So I just got off the phone with an RCCL representative after being frustrated that I couldn’t “see” any specialty restaurant options for my cruise in Feb (other than the offer for the UDP which we didn’t get). Many thanks to the patient commenters who gave me advice on how to try to see available reservations, but I was just told by the rep on the phone that the reason I can’t see anything is because all specialty restaurants are already booked every night of our cruise 😥. We’re 117 days from sailing. Is this common for all reservations to fill this early? We only just booked the cruise a couple weeks ago. So bummed 😞, I guess I need to book the next one six-plus months in advance.

43 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Take advantage of the opportunity to rediscover the quality of the no-upcharge dining options available to you. The money you save can be spent on an extra excursion.

Thanks, we will do that. Mostly just wanted to try Chops, but oh well. Looks like there are many no-charge options on our ship.

I highly doubt all specialty restaurants are fully booked. I think the phone rep sees exactly what you can see in the Cruise Planner under the dining section and is assuming it doesn't appear because it is sold out. Just keep checking back. 

You may want to join a roll call or Facebook group for your sailing and ask if anyone else is having the same issue with not seeing any specialty dining available. 

42 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

I highly doubt all specialty restaurants are fully booked. I think the phone rep sees exactly what you can see in the Cruise Planner under the dining section and is assuming it doesn't appear because it is sold out. Just keep checking back. 

You may want to join a roll call or Facebook group for your sailing and ask if anyone else is having the same issue with not seeing any specialty dining available. 

Thank you! Will check in roll call now.

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

Agreed. I had something random like this in July. On 1 particular night of my 7 night cruise, Giovanni's was "sold out." It was wide open the other 6 nights. Customer service of course told me it was sold out. Common sense told me that was extremely unlikely. A week later, it was wide open on the night I wanted.

4 hours ago, Sunny_D said:

So I just got off the phone with an RCCL representative after being frustrated that I couldn’t “see” any specialty restaurant options for my cruise in Feb (other than the offer for the UDP which we didn’t get). Many thanks to the patient commenters who gave me advice on how to try to see available reservations, but I was just told by the rep on the phone that the reason I can’t see anything is because all specialty restaurants are already booked every night of our cruise 😥. We’re 117 days from sailing. Is this common for all reservations to fill this early? We only just booked the cruise a couple weeks ago. So bummed 😞, I guess I need to book the next one six-plus months in advance.

Which cruise/ship are you on?  Surprised if they’re fully booked 4 months in advance.  

1 hour ago, TMatl said:

Which cruise/ship are you on?  Surprised if they’re fully booked 4 months in advance.  

Allure out of Galveston, Feb 5-12. Here is a screenshot of what I see when I try to get into the dining page of the cruise planner. The only option that shows up under “Specialty Dining-Dinner” is Izumi (which was already booked last week over the phone when I called them with a question about C&A numbers). I would assume other restaurants—if available—would show up in that same area? What’s odd is further up on that page there are still offers for dining plans…which seems strange if everything really is booked already as the rep said.

3FAB4E1C-B206-4F23-8328-97A180A52482.jpeg

15 hours ago, Sunny_D said:

Thanks, we will do that. Mostly just wanted to try Chops, but oh well. Looks like there are many no-charge options on our ship.

The MDR probably still offers you a steak from Chops for an additional charge.  It's usually at the bottom of the menu somewhere.  So that is one way to get a nice filet mignon when the restaurant itself is booked.

23 hours ago, Sunny_D said:

I believe that you should be able to make reservations to the specialty restaurants once you are on board.  Immediately after boarding, run to the nearest restaurant and make your reservation.  Good luck. 

1 hour ago, FireFishII said:

I believe that you should be able to make reservations to the specialty restaurants once you are on board.  Immediately after boarding, run to the nearest restaurant and make your reservation.  Good luck. 

You would be paying full price if you waited until boarding. There is usually a 15% minimum discount for booking ahead of time.

21 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

You would be paying full price if you waited until boarding. There is usually a 15% minimum discount for booking ahead of time.

Thanks. I just deleted all previous cookies on my computer and re-logged in (in case it was a glitch with the website yesterday)…still showing no options. If there actually are reservations available at the time, is that the sort of thing concierge would help with when they reach out about a week before? We’re staying in a sky-level suite.

1 hour ago, Sunny_D said:

Thanks. I just deleted all previous cookies on my computer and re-logged in (in case it was a glitch with the website yesterday)…still showing no options. If there actually are reservations available at the time, is that the sort of thing concierge would help with when they reach out about a week before? We’re staying in a sky-level suite.

Yes, they can definitely help with reservations, but I'd be shocked if this issue wasn't resolved long before that point.

4 hours ago, Sunny_D said:

Yes, they can make reservations when they reach out. However, if you aren't buying a dining package you will pay full, onboard prices at the end of your meal on the ship. If you are planning on dining at multiple restaurants and you're seeing the packages available for purchase in your cruise planner, you might as well buy a package to save yourself some money. The Concierge can make reservations if you have a package, so you'll beat everyone else not in a suite who has to wait until they board.

2 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

Yes, they can make reservations when they reach out. However, if you aren't buying a dining package you will pay full, onboard prices at the end of your meal on the ship. If you are planning on dining at multiple restaurants and you're seeing the packages available for purchase in your cruise planner, you might as well buy a package to save yourself some money. The Concierge can make reservations if you have a package, so you'll beat everyone else not in a suite who has to wait until they board.

Thanks so much! 😃

On 10/12/2022 at 6:44 PM, AshleyDillo said:

We are in Star Class on Allure in Feb. 2023, I can wait until they reach out to us to make these dining reservations?  First star class cruise.

9 hours ago, Yo2slick said:

We are in Star Class on Allure in Feb. 2023, I can wait until they reach out to us to make these dining reservations?  First star class cruise.

Yes, the Genie will make all your dining and show reservations. You just let them know your preferred dining time and if you want any specific restaurants on specific days.

They will ask if you want hibachi or Chef's Table to book those in advance (they will refund on board) to secure the dining times since there's not the same flexibility with scheduling those. We never bothered to make reservations and they were still always able to accommodate. In fact I noticed the 7pm reservations for hibachi never seem to be available on the Oasis class ships, so I do think they hold these back for onboard bookings. But if you do want a time you see in the Cruise Planner for hibachi, snag it so you can secure it.

15 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

Yes, the Genie will make all your dining and show reservations. You just let them know your preferred dining time and if you want any specific restaurants on specific days.

They will ask if you want hibachi or Chef's Table to book those in advance (they will refund on board) to secure the dining times since there's not the same flexibility with scheduling those. We never bothered to make reservations and they were still always able to accommodate. In fact I noticed the 7pm reservations for hibachi never seem to be available on the Oasis class ships, so I do think they hold these back for onboard bookings. But if you do want a time you see in the Cruise Planner for hibachi, snag it so you can secure it.

Our genie in September said he could book at only at 7 for Hibachi so I think you are right about them holding that time back. 

• 2 weeks later...

*UPDATE*

I posted this question two weeks ago, and have been signing into the Cruise Planner and re-checking daily. Just today, several more specialty dining options suddenly appeared as being available to reserve—including Chef’s Table (which the phone rep had assured me “filled up a long time ago”). Many thanks to all the experienced posters on here for the advice to not give up and keep checking 😀