Alternative to cash tip

Have a cruise in a few days, and was thinking of alternatives to cash tipping.  I'm pretty sure I read somewhere about gifts or small items that the cabin stewards enjoy or could use that they cannot get on/off ship easily.  Just looking for something to do other than (or in addition to) cold hard cash  :)

Suggestions for specific items I could bring along, or look for while in port, to hook up a [hopefully] great cabin steward?  

Have a cruise in a few days, and was thinking of alternatives to cash tipping.  I'm pretty sure I read somewhere about gifts or small items that the cabin stewards enjoy or could use that they cannot get on/off ship easily.  Just looking for something to do other than (or in addition to) cold hard cash  :)

Suggestions for specific items I could bring along, or look for while in port, to hook up a [hopefully] great cabin steward?  

To be honest i can't see anything better for them that cash.  I say this because i don't know what they make, but sure it isn't much...this is a service industry..sort of like what waiter/waitress make and they rely on tips as the majority percentage of there income.  Someone with more knowledge will be along shortly to elaborate on this.

After a quick google search....i have located a website that stated the waiters and cabin attendants are payed $50.00 a month.  So i highly recommend that cash be given.

Cash is King as the crew can use it for what they need. You also need to realize that their cabin space is very limited, so they don't really have room to store gifts. Something like a small treat from your hometown (e.g., pre packaged candy) might be nice, but money is the best way to go.

Ain't that the truth!

Cash is King as the crew can use it for what they need. You also need to realize that their cabin space is very limited, so they don't really have room to store gifts. Something like a small treat from your hometown (e.g., pre packaged candy) might be nice, but money is the best way to go.

What do people tip above the added gratuities on a daily basis for say their stewards? $5 a day too little or too much. I usually leave $5-$10 a day at a regular hotel for housekeeping, depending on what type of hotel and service provided. But of course gratuities aren't usually added to the stay.

What do people tip above the added gratuities on a daily basis for say their stewards? $5 a day too little or too much. I usually leave $5-$10 a day at a regular hotel for housekeeping, depending on what type of hotel and service provided. But of course gratuities aren't usually added to the stay.

You're already tipping him or her in the auto gratuity/service charge that's added to your daily account or prepaid by you, so there's no need to tip any more. Any additional money would be based on your desire to reward exceptional service. The same goes for beverage packages and a la carte drinks. The service charge is added to the bill. If, however, they go above and beyond, then an additional cash tip is appreciated and warranted. It's also worth mentioning them by name on the post cruise survey as that helps with promotions within the company.

Two times I've tired additional is when waiters have didn't extra time with my son and sitting an interest in his likes/dislikes. For instance, a waiter made some kind of lemon grass drink for my son to try so that he could experience something that is popular in the country where he lived. On another cruise, the barista came to know me and would start making my coffee when he saw me cruising the Centrum, so that it was ready when I got there.