Basic: How are specialty restaurants priced and reserved?

PRMLVM

We aren't getting any kind of specialty dining package, but are interested in two of the restaurants (Harmony of the Seas for one trip; Brilliance for another).  I thought I read that reservations can't be made until onboard, but our cruise planner has "dining products" that let us purchase a meal and reserve the time. 

Are all restaurants a flat fee?  If we have to wait to make reservations after boarding, will we pay a set price or will it vary per entree, etc?   I've become confused after reading the recent blog entry about Izumi's "special" prix-fixe option, when it's the only one in the dining products list and I can't even see an ala carte option.  I came here to research and it seems that no specialty reservations can be made ahead of time (outside of these cruise planner options).  Soooo...when can we reserve, and how are they priced?  Thank you for any help!

12 minutes ago, Ryan79 said:

Harmony of the Seas and Brilliance of the Seas are SHIPS, not restaurants. Most are flat fee, but some ARE al a carte, like Izumi. You can book reservations at any time on the app. 

Oh yes!  Those are the ships we will be on....I didn't know if the class of ship made any difference! 

If you buy a dining package, you'll make reservations on the ship day 1, not in advance.  But you can buy individual meals in advance instead of a full package. That is what we did -- we got a lunch (instead of a dinner) at a reasonable price.  Our lunch at Jamie's (on the Mariner) was so filling we couldn't eat all of our dinner in the Main Dining Room (MDR).  Note: If you get a coupon for a meal from your travel agent, you book your time on the ship.

If you buy individual meals ahead of time in the cruise planner, you can schedule them when you book and pay. The "have to wait until Day 1 to make your reservations" thing is for people who have purchased the Ultimate Dining Plan.

Most specialty dining restaurants are a set price. Once you pay when you book, you're done and good to go. There are a few exceptions:

1. Some of the restaurants will have some kind of upcharge offerings. For example, Chops will usually offer lobster as an additional charge over and above your preset meal cost. Completely optional. 
  2. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the only way to reserve Izumi ahead of time is if you purchase the prix fixe or hibachi meals. However, if you go at an off time, you can generally be seated without a reservation and order sushi a la carte. 
  3. Places like Fish and Ships or Playmakers are priced a la carte and do not require reservations.  

2 hours ago, WesKinetic said:

If you buy individual meals ahead of time in the cruise planner, you can schedule them when you book and pay. The "have to wait until Day 1 to make your reservations" thing is for people who have purchased the Ultimate Dining Plan.

Most specialty dining restaurants are a set price. Once you pay when you book, you're done and good to go. There are a few exceptions:

1. Some of the restaurants will have some kind of upcharge offerings. For example, Chops will usually offer lobster as an additional charge over and above your preset meal cost. Completely optional. 
  2. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the only way to reserve Izumi ahead of time is if you purchase the prix fixe or hibachi meals. However, if you go on board at an off time, you can generally be seated without a reservation and order sushi a la carte. 
  3. Places like Fish and Ships or Playmakers are priced a la carte and do not require reservations.  

Do you know when you can start making individual reservations (if you don’t have a pre purchased plan)?  Does your cruise need to be paid in full? Been trying to find answers online; have seen some people say 90 days out and others say 60 days…some even seem to suggest anytime after booking. At this time, I can’t seem to be able to do it on the mobile site when I pull up our reservation. We’re still 100+ days out from sailing.

12 hours ago, Sunny_D said:

Do you know when you can start making individual reservations (if you don’t have a pre purchased plan)?  Does your cruise need to be paid in full? Been trying to find answers online; have seen some people say 90 days out and others say 60 days…some even seem to suggest anytime after booking. At this time, I can’t seem to be able to do it on the mobile site when I pull up our reservation. We’re still 100+ days out from sailing.

You will have to make reservations and purchases through cruise planner and if you buy individual dinners, you can make them as soon as you book. You won't be able to book anything through the app, if that is what you are referring to. When you log into cruise planner you can select a restaurant, the time and pay to book each one individually, you cannot book online for any packages. 

2 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

You will have to make reservations and purchases through cruise planner and if you buy individual dinners, you can make them as soon as you book. You won't be able to book anything through the app, if that is what you are referring to. When you log into cruise planner you can select a restaurant, the time and pay to book each one individually, you cannot book online for any packages. 

It wasn’t the app I was trying to use, it was RCCL’s website, but it was the mobile version on my phone. I haven’t bought a package and don’t think I will since I like to have things booked ahead of time. Maybe I’ll try the desktop version, or wait til 90 days out like WesKinetic suggested. Thanks 

3 hours ago, Sunny_D said:

It wasn’t the app I was trying to use, it was RCCL’s website, but it was the mobile version on my phone. I haven’t bought a package and don’t think I will since I like to have things booked ahead of time. Maybe I’ll try the desktop version, or wait til 90 days out like WesKinetic suggested. Thanks 

Things like when you book, i.e. if you book closer to sailing or if you booked during a holiday/spring break, will affect the offerings. The 90 days is for final payment and will not have any bearing on specialty dining. People like to assign rhyme and reason to the CP but often there isn't any. Royal's IT is a mess. Dining will be the first thing to populate in the planner. 

I was able to find the "reserve" button on both the online cruise planner and the app, and I see prices associated - thank you to all.   I got confused by Izumi, which seems to be a special case onto itself, and unavailable to reserve for the ala carte option (from what I'm gathering here).   Looks like the smallest package to purchase is 3 nights (or Chops +1), without the "security" of booking a specific night.  So if we are only interested in two restaurants, and want to pin down the day/time, avoiding a package is what we want.  And if one of those two is Izumi ala carte, we will just have to wait until boarding to reserve.  Please correct me if I'm wrong! 

Again, thank you all for your help.

27 minutes ago, PRMLVM said:

And if one of those two is Izumi ala carte, we will just have to wait until boarding to reserve.

Izumi sushi you will definitely want to book ala carte.  If they offer the prix fixe option through the Cruise Planner, you could do that as well but you'll be ordering the $34.99 menu option which is one small plate, two large plates and a dessert.  It's worth it but may be too much food per person!