Diamond+ drink vouchers Yea!

Done

For those weighing the decision to purchase the drink package and also Diamond or above this a testimonial that the 5 vouchers each given for Diamond+ was enough for us.  We also redeemed RC Visa reward points for $250 On Board Credit.  We spent that on wine with dinner and with other purchases had a $116 account balance at cruise end.  This works for us!

Drink packages at full price really make very little sense for most people.  What you are doing, in essence, is pre-paying for about 7 drinks per day.  Sort of gambling that you are going to drink more than that on a daily basis.  Yes, there are some that do...but for most people, it's simply not going to happen--you're better off paying "by the drink".

And, for those of us who are Diamond or Diamond Plus, it gets more outrageous.  Because you get four (Diamond) or five (Diamond Plus) free drinks per day, buying the drink package means you are pre-paying for drinks #5-11 or #6-12!  You only reach "break-even" when you hit 11 or 12 drinks per day! 

For us, at Diamond Plus, five drinks usually covers it...but, if for some reason, I want a sixths or seventh drink, the per drink cost for those is still far less than the cost of a drink package.  OR, more often, my wife, who rarely drinks even those five vouchers worth, just orders me the extra drink on one of her leftover vouchers.

perhaps, but its highly individual. I drink like a fish on cruises at baseline, but i also get specialty coffees and drink nothing other than pelegrino mineral water at all meals. So even without the booze lumped in there that adds up quickly.  So for me, even with diamond vouchers, it makes sense to get a booze package as long as its not astronomically priced.  I understand i am an outlier. 

If I had cruised any time between 21 and 35, I would have made out like a bandit with the deluxe drink package.   Seven drinks a day are rookie numbers for a service member trying to reacclimatize. 

Thankfully those days have been behind me since I was 36, and I’m looking forward to using my upcoming Diamond vouchers for more mundane beverages such as bottled water. 

And don't forget-its 7 of anything! so even if you aren't a heavy drinker (up to a year ago, 7 would have been pre- dinner for me!), a few other things make it worth while. A latte in the morning, an energy drink, a milkshake or smoothie, a few sodas or fresh juices, any of these plus a few beers...boom. You made out. 

52 minutes ago, GatorCruiser said:

perhaps, but its highly individual. I drink like a fish on cruises at baseline, but i also get specialty coffees and drink nothing other than pelegrino mineral water at all meals. So even without the booze lumped in there that adds up quickly.  So for me, even with diamond vouchers, it makes sense to get a booze package as long as its not astronomically priced.  I understand i am an outlier. 

I totally agree that it is certainly a choice that differs greatly for each individual!  For those of us that don't drink alcohol, it gets even trickier to figure out the best plan of action.  We have always purchased the Refreshment Package and generally do not drink sodas much at home, but on the cruise it's different 🙂 .  However I drink a ton of espresso based drinks and sparkling water, while the wife drinks no coffee or sparkling water and does plain water and sodas.  So trying to find the balance has been difficult so far.  We will turn diamond after our next cruise and our first diamond cruise will be in early 2023.  Here is our current plan:

Crown and Anchor "Welcome Waters" - 2 bottles in the room
Diamond Lounge Coffee Machine - will use for hot and iced espresso  type drinks (i mostly drink espresso alone or make it "americano")
Diamond Vouchers - 4 per person per day - plan to use for Frappuccino style coffee drinks, smoothies, and mocktails
Soda Package - for each person - plan to use for sodas in venues and Powerade, sodas, and sparkling Dasani from the Free style machines

Maybe we end up back at the Refreshment package or maybe we end up dropping the soda package at some point, but we were too nervous to not have at least the soda package (it was $8.99 a person) for the first time while learning the new diamond ropes.  

We know we can "carry on" some things, but since we typically fly to the port and not have a car it is sometimes difficult to find small packages at reasonable prices.  It's also a pain to carry heavy items on since we travel very lightly. 

As long as we spend less than $400 total on the drinks, we're still ahead of buying the Refreshment package ($23.99 pppd for 7 nights, plus 18%)

4 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

Drink packages at full price really make very little sense for most people.  What you are doing, in essence, is pre-paying for about 7 drinks per day.  Sort of gambling that you are going to drink more than that on a daily basis.  Yes, there are some that do...but for most people, it's simply not going to happen--you're better off paying "by the drink".

And, for those of us who are Diamond or Diamond Plus, it gets more outrageous.  Because you get four (Diamond) or five (Diamond Plus) free drinks per day, buying the drink package means you are pre-paying for drinks #5-11 or #6-12!  You only reach "break-even" when you hit 11 or 12 drinks per day! 

For us, at Diamond Plus, five drinks usually covers it...but, if for some reason, I want a sixths or seventh drink, the per drink cost for those is still far less than the cost of a drink package.  OR, more often, my wife, who rarely drinks even those five vouchers worth, just orders me the extra drink on one of her leftover vouchers.

My wife and I normally sail on Celebrity and being ELITE+ we are Diamond on RCL. We are on RCL this weekend and my question is, do unused vouchers roll over to the next day or is it use them or lose them?

1 hour ago, D and D at Sea said:

My wife and I normally sail on Celebrity and being ELITE+ we are Diamond on RCL. We are on RCL this weekend and my question is, do unused vouchers roll over to the next day or is it use them or lose them?

One tip if you have any left over at the end of the night... use them on unopened beer, hard seltzer, or bottled water to take back to your cabin cooler.

1 hour ago, D and D at Sea said:

No, they don't roll over.  We use "extras" to get bottled water for our excursions the next day.

12 hours ago, Reigert2008 said:

I totally agree that it is certainly a choice that differs greatly for each individual!  For those of us that don't drink alcohol, it gets even trickier to figure out the best plan of action.  We have always purchased the Refreshment Package and generally do not drink sodas much at home, but on the cruise it's different 🙂 .  However I drink a ton of espresso based drinks and sparkling water, while the wife drinks no coffee or sparkling water and does plain water and sodas.  So trying to find the balance has been difficult so far.  We will turn diamond after our next cruise and our first diamond cruise will be in early 2023.  Here is our current plan:

Crown and Anchor "Welcome Waters" - 2 bottles in the room
Diamond Lounge Coffee Machine - will use for hot and iced espresso  type drinks (i mostly drink espresso alone or make it "americano")
Diamond Vouchers - 4 per person per day - plan to use for Frappuccino style coffee drinks, smoothies, and mocktails
Soda Package - for each person - plan to use for sodas in venues and Powerade, sodas, and sparkling Dasani from the Free style machines

Maybe we end up back at the Refreshment package or maybe we end up dropping the soda package at some point, but we were too nervous to not have at least the soda package (it was $8.99 a person) for the first time while learning the new diamond ropes.  

We know we can "carry on" some things, but since we typically fly to the port and not have a car it is sometimes difficult to find small packages at reasonable prices.  It's also a pain to carry heavy items on since we travel very lightly. 

As long as we spend less than $400 total on the drinks, we're still ahead of buying the Refreshment package ($23.99 pppd for 7 nights, plus 18%)

Don't forget you can carry on 2 bottels of wiine, 12 bottles of water/soda combo.   Check here for proper sizes.  https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafee&type=E211US105G91649&p=royal+caribbean+carry+on+beverage+policy

16 hours ago, D and D at Sea said:

They reset at midnight. Use them before or you lose them. 

You also have vouchers for debarkation day so you can get a specialty coffee in the morning or some waters or sodas for the road.

30 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

You also have vouchers for debarkation day so you can get a specialty coffee in the morning or some waters or sodas for the road.

@AshleyDillo No issues doing this on Indy this past weekend I assume?

I only ask b/c there have been some reports of people being denied on certain ships. I had no problem on Indy in July but figured I'd ask since I know you were just onboard. Thanks.

36 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

@AshleyDillo No issues doing this on Indy this past weekend I assume?

I only ask b/c there have been some reports of people being denied on certain ships. I had no problem on Indy in July but figured I'd ask since I know you were just onboard. Thanks.

I did not try to grab anything in the morning on this cruise but the last night we definitely watched the countdown to midnight for the vouchers to reset to keep the night going 😂

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

I did not try to grab anything in the morning on this cruise but the last night we definitely watched the countdown to midnight for the vouchers to reset to keep the night going 😂

LOL, that's past my bedtime. I'll just infer that if you got more vouchers at midnight they would have still been there in the morning if you weren't such a party animal.

Thanks for the info.

8 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

Don't forget you can carry on 2 bottels of wiine, 12 bottles of water/soda combo.   Check here for proper sizes.  https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafee&type=E211US105G91649&p=royal+caribbean+carry+on+beverage+policy

Totally!  we're not sure yet if we will carry anything on, since it's one more thing to lug around all day until the room is ready.  It'll probably depend on the boarding time, length of cruise, and ship.  thanks!

On 10/10/2022 at 3:29 PM, D and D at Sea said:

Unfortunately it's use them or lose them.  They will reload at Midnight if you're night owls.  lol  Also on debarkation day you will have them available for a morning bloody mary.  Cheers!