Kosher Dining Package on Oasis OTS

michaelp1446

Cruise planner for Oasis 1/15/23 sailing has added a Kosher dining Package at $420.00 pp. Looks like the Solarium Bistro

is the only venue and will only be open to those that purchase the package for all meals.

I thought Harmony was the only ship doing a "Yeshiva" week cruise during that time period. 

Is this a system glitch or are all Oasis Class ships offering this package? 

I do enjoy the Solarium bistro for breakfast and lunch but not if I have to pay extra.

TIA

17 hours ago, RafaellaCG said:

No. A kosher kitchen sailing from Israel cooked for My Time Dining in the MDR and Park Cafe in the Solarium.

For the Rhapsody sailings out of Haifa they provided this complimentary because of the demand of the sailing demographic. 

The demand isn't there on an Oasis class ship for every sailing, so they do special sailings where they sell the Kosher packages and use the Solarium bistro kitchen as the Kosher kitchen for the sailing and close it to other guests.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve noticed yarmulke wearing individuals on some of my sailings out of NY.  (oasis in August being one)  I was quite excited as some old neighbors of mine keep kosher and the idea of cruising with them can possibly now happen?  I did ask one woman about it, not realizing it was Friday night and we were on an elevator!  Her cabin was deck 10 and she said no way she was walking up.  I wasn’t calling her out for being in the elevator-just inquiring about kosher meals.  So are these only offered on select sailings?

17 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

I’ve noticed yarmulke wearing individuals on some of my sailings out of NY.  (oasis in August being one)  I was quite excited as some old neighbors of mine keep kosher and the idea of cruising with them can possibly now happen?  I did ask one woman about it, not realizing it was Friday night and we were on an elevator!  Her cabin was deck 10 and she said no way she was walking up.  I wasn’t calling her out for being in the elevator-just inquiring about kosher meals.  So are these only offered on select sailings?

I'm not Jewish, so hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.  My understanding is that pre-packaged kosher meals are generally available all cruise lines.  You need to request this before the sailing.  These are prepared in a kosher facility off the ship, frozen, heated while still in the packaging, and brought to the table all wrapped up.  Sealed paper plates and plastic cutlery are provided.   So even compared to MDR mass cooked banquet food, it's not exactly fine dining.  More like food you would get on an airplane.

This doesn't sound super appealing.  Being Lutheran, I don't claim to know anything about the details of keeping kosher, but some people I have talked to are OK with just sticking to the vegetarian/vegan menu on the ship.  Not everyone is OK with this solution, either because they want to be able to eat meat or because they don't feel it's OK from a religious POV (or both).

The appeal of these special sailings mentioned earlier is around getting fresh cooked kosher food.  In the past I've heard about full/partial ship charters where kosher food is available, so it's interesting that RCL has figured out a way to basically create their own version of this.

@karl_nj- you are correct that RCL does provide pre-packaged kosher meals.  Here is a RCL website that describes it: 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/aus/en/faq/questions/can-we-offer-kosher-meals

I also agree with you that it does not sound super appealing.  I think this is why the fresh kosher meals are important to the Jewish communities. The rules and restrictions are many. Not only does it cover the food, but it also covers the kitchens and how the food is prepared.  For more details, you can check out: https://oukosher.org/the-kosher-primer/

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Dnm1217 said:

Does anyone know how one can sign up for the fresh kosher food if they will be traveling on the oasis of the seas cruise departing from Miami on 1/22/23?  I am part of a group of people who all would like to participate in it. Any information would be appreciated!

Welcome to the boards!

For my 1/15/23 Oasis sailing the sign up was in the Cruise Planner under the Specialty dining tab. It is no longer showing in our Cruise Planner (may be sold out). I imagine

if it is still available for your cruise, that is where you would find it. This applies only to the Yeshiva Week dinning in the Solarium Bistro. 

On 10/31/2022 at 5:27 PM, FireFishII said:

@karl_nj- you are correct that RCL does provide pre-packaged kosher meals.  Here is a RCL website that describes it: 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/aus/en/faq/questions/can-we-offer-kosher-meals

If this is a general question check out the link provided by @karl_nj.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
14 hours ago, floridapoppop said:

Does anyone know the kosher plans for yeshiva break week January 2024 or where to call?

I want to book ASAP. 

Thanks

It will probably open up when the sailing is closer. I don't think they even started offering the package until maybe 4/5 months before sailing when they have a more accurate account of how many passengers will want it. You will contact a Royal rep or buy it in cruise planner, so just be on the lookout for it.