Vision and Explorer of the Seas input

Luly

There's a 10 night sailing on Vision of the Seas and I can get my family of 6 adjoining ocean view rooms for just $3700! Maybe even less after I get off my next sailing and become Diamond. However, my husband is not convinced. It's a smaller and much older ship and we have 4 kids ages 16, 12, 7, 4. He's worried there isn't as much for them (or us) to do without flowrider, a sports court, mini golf and other activities the bigger ships have. Personally, the smaller ship capacity seems endearing, the itinerary INCREDIBLE, and with adventure ocean, teen club, and the rock climbing wall I think the kids will be fine on the 3 sea days. Has anyone sailed Vision lately that could give me something to read to my husband for encouragement (or I guess sway me against this). We might end up spending more on flights than the cruise itself which is my biggest hesitation. Last April they were $550pp for our cruise and are looking to be about the same next April, no matter which airport in Florida we fly into. We live 36 hours away via car so that's not an option.

Also, there's a mid-December 2023 sailing on Explorer that's also a great price, but same issue with it being older. I think I read Explorer is supposed to go into dry dock early 2023 so that it has similar amenities to Freedom and Navigator, is that correct?

15 minutes ago, Luly said:

Also, there's a mid-December 2023 sailing on Explorer that's also a great price, but same issue with it being older. I think I read Explorer is supposed to go into dry dock early 2023 so that it has similar amenities to Freedom and Navigator, is that correct?

Explorer does have the Flowrider and rock wall. Also has the ice rink, so a little more guaranteed activities for the kids. I wouldn't hesitate to do that one at a good price with kids.

Vision was meh for me, but I would do it at a good price and itinerary. If the kids aren't looking forward to the activities and can entertain themselves, they may not know what they're missing.

My kids have been on quite a few cruises so they do enjoy Flowrider, my 7 year old LOVED the mini golf on Freedom and spent a lot of time there, and my 12 year old enjoys the pickleball freeplay on Navigator and other ships. The 4 year old is just happy with a pool but wishes she could climb (unsure why there's a 6 year old limit). They've also been on Anthem so they've experienced iFly and the Seaplex. I let the older two wander together, so yes, they will notice the lack of these activities and a promenade. It looks like on Vision the teen club is for 12 and up? My 16 year old is very shy and has never gone to the teen club, but with her little brother in tow she might spend more time there and that would give them something to do together. All of that being said, we travel a lot, and no matter where we travel, they ALWAYS say they'd rather be cruising. Every. Single. Time. We also are scheduled to go on Quantum in May, so they'll get to do all of those fun on board activities just 7 weeks after the 10 night April cruise. I wish airfare would go back down to the mid $200s!!! 

My teens were on their first cruise on vision (18, 15 and 12) and they had a blast but that was in 2015.  My husband and I and then 16 year old were on a Mediterranean cruise on vision again and also had a blast.  If you are going at a time when school is out, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it... The kids go to the kids clubs, meet other kids and you are golden.  However the longer itinerary usually (not always) can mean fewer kids and if you go during school time, then they might not meet as many kids.  Vision is definitely an older and more dated ship, but when I went the cruise director was awesome and we were never bored.  My girls second cruise was on freedom before the upgrade and they loved the promenade a lot.  It was fun and airy, and there were again a ton of teens.  However, my kids have still yet to do the flowrider and Rock climbing wall so again, it depends on what your kids are interested in.  I personally say if the itinerary is new, go for any ship and a good price allows for more excursion money.  If it's a repeat itinerary, then I look harder at what the ship can offer in terms of activities and amenities.  Jane

@luly, I've been on both Explorer and Vision.  I enjoy both, but I'd recommend Explorer for your family.  There's much more to do. 

Explorer is a sister ship to Navigator, so it is very similar.  Just be aware, navigator has been amplified and Explorer hasn't.  

My son grew up taking cruises on Grandeur of the Seas and had a great time with Adventure Ocean or the teen youth groups.  There is nothing wrong with Vision Class vessels, but as mentioned, the ice rink on the Explorer could be a draw, and it has a larger promenade.  I would focus on the itinerary and time of year that is most feasible for your family.  Have a great trip!