VOOM

I Understand that if my wife and i get the VOOM unlimited internet package, that I can put our iphoneeive  into airplane mode and then use wi-fi calling. If either of us receive a call from the US, will are phones ring as normal?  can we call each other whileon board?  Thanks

If you have an iphone, you can Facetime or use another app like skype for non iphone users for calls. I was able to Facetime my kids on Navigator last month fairly well, and the VOOM on that ship has its limitations. 

I'm not sure about receiving calls from landlines.  However, other iPhone users back home could call you via FaceTime Audio.  Also, anyone with any other type of smartphone could use Skype, Viber or WhatsApp (but both you and the caller would have to have those apps). There are many other VOIP apps but those are the more common ones.  I've never shelled out the $$ for VOOM (reviews are pretty sketchy) but I've used WiFi at local establishments at various ports and made calls using VOIP. 

If you have one of the big 4 US carriers (Verizon, AT&T, T-mobile and Sprint) they all support native wifi calling.  You may need to change a setting in your phone to enable it and then you can put in in Airplane mode, turn on the wifi and sign in, and your phone will work as normal but calls will be going over the wifi automatically instead of using the expensive on-ship cell phone tower.

If you have a smaller carrier or a pre-paid service (event the ones that say the use one of the above networks) you may or may not have this feature available.

As others stated, if you have Wi-Fi Calling enabled, then yes it will work.  It is easy to enable Wi-Fi Calling from home (assuming your carrier supports it).  You can turn it on at home, connect to your home Wi-Fi and try it all out.  It's pretty neat and I have used it many times on RC cruises (including last week).

Its important to note you have to enable WiFi Calling on your phone BEFORE you depart. Your phone will need to communicate with your carrier to enable that functionality and if you don't do it before hand you will not be able to enable it on board. Once its enabled it'll work to call and receive calls just like you were home. One thing I've noticed with Verizon is that you won't have any notification of voice mails and no way to access them until you get back home.

As far as call quality goes even over the Surf only (the slower package) the audio quality was outstanding. I've had to take a few work calls while on board and everyone is always completely shocked when I'm not in the same room as my team back at home.

Its important to note you have to enable WiFi Calling on your phone BEFORE you depart. Your phone will need to communicate with your carrier to enable that functionality and if you don't do it before hand you will not be able to enable it on board. Once its enabled it'll work to call and receive calls just like you were home. One thing I've noticed with Verizon is that you won't have any notification of voice mails and no way to access them until you get back home.

I agree it is best to activate the WiFi calling before you leave, but I was able to activate the feature for my mom while on Anthem. (I'm on AT&T).

My voicemail worked on AT&T, although a couple of messages refused to download until I got back to the USA.