Drinks Package alternative

Indygo

Hello,

We’re travelling next year on an Eastern Mediterranean/Greek Isle 7 night cruise, our second RC cruise. Last time we took the drinks package and it was worth our while. But as this is a very port heavy cruise, I’m not seeing that we will get the same value for money.  I think we’ll do better paying out of pocket.

BUT… I don’t want to be price watching or dreading the bill. Is there a way that I can prepay towards the drinks when boarding? Add onboard credit now already? Or use a prepaid card?

I assume with “pay-as-you-go”, you need to tip with each drink? Or can you tip a lump sum at the end?

Apologies if this is asked and answered already but all my Google searches only brought up the drinks package or drinks card.

Thanks,

Indygo

You should be checking your bill regularly for errors, so essentially you’ll be price watching.  As speednoodles said, gratuities are included in the drink bill. You can add an additional tip if you choose to.   I’ve never put money on my account up front.  I know the bill can be paid any time you stop by guest services or you can wait until the last night to pay in cash if you didn’t want the credit card bill.   US dollars. 

I agree with other posts and don't see anything wrong with price watching.  I do that every time I am at a store register, kind of an ingrained habit due to the likelihood of employee errors or computer errors.  And counting the number of alcoholic drinks one consumes isn't a bad thing if one wants to live long enough to enjoy many, many cruises.  Maybe start with a different assumption --one can have a fun or relaxing vacation while still being smart and practical?!  What I do to ease the sticker shock of my ship cruise bill is accumulate On Board Credit through points redemption, etc. 

Our next cruise is also in the Med, and we decided to avoid specialty dining or beverage packages because we'd rather use that money for eating out in the ports. I mean, the reason I take a port-heavy cruise is, well, to enjoy the ports!

On our last few cruises we had the deluxe drink package. We have cruised enough to have reached diamond+ status and we are given auto “vouchers” (on our sea pass card) for 5 drinks a piece each. We are on Harmony and we found 5 each is plenty. We also redeemed RC Visa reward points towards On Board Credit and used that for a couple bottles of wine at dinner after D+ discount

55 minutes ago, Indygo said:

Ah, good point! That slipped my mind.

There isn’t anything stopping me from taking the non-alcoholic package and then paying for eg cocktails out of pocket?

Not a bad plan.  Buy the refreshment package and purchase a shot of liquor on the side with your package included mocktail.  It'll save you around $6 per cocktail.