Kids sail free not free??

Hello! Does anyone have any insight on the kids sail free promo? I’m trying to book a cruise with 3 kids and when I do the guest breakdown each kid has a price associated with them. About $500+ for the cruise fare itself and just under $150 for taxes and fees. I understand paying taxes and fees but why are we charged for kids fare at all?

22 minutes ago, Xaa said:

You should see a fare, but in Discounts it will be subtracted out.  Post a screenshot.

Bill

Here’s a breakdown for one of our rooms. I’m so confused. I do see the “discount” for kids sale free. But the entire breakdown is kind of weird especially because the fare for each guest is higher than usual and there’s still a fee for kids. 

B490291B-65ED-4C8F-9CE7-BE7AE7BFBC1F.jpeg

1 hour ago, cottoncandysunsets25 said:

But the entire breakdown is kind of weird especially because the fare for each guest is higher than usual and there’s still a fee for kids. 

The per-person cost for a room for 2 people is usually lower than the per-person cost for a room for 3/4 people.  So you can't really compare the per-person price for a double with the price for a triple/quad.

I usually book one double and one triple, so I run into this all the time.

5 hours ago, karl_nj said:

The per-person cost for a room for 2 people is usually lower than the per-person cost for a room for 3/4 people.  So you can't really compare the per-person price for a double with the price for a triple/quad.

I usually book one double and one triple, so I run into this all the time.

I had no idea of this until now because we usually are just booking for 2 but this time around we’re trying to get my whole family on board for their first cruise!

10 hours ago, cottoncandysunsets25 said:

Thanks Matt! I noticed the discount there but after calculating everything they still charge the $670 for cruise fare and taxes so I’m wondering how come it isn’t completely free but I guess that’s just how it is

Correct, you aren't missing anything.  Royal Caribbean is giving you the cruise fare for free. Taxes and fees aren't a cruise line cost, it's just passed on from various governments.

• 1 year later...

For anyone saying KSF is a scam or "doesn't save you money" I will just say we paid 2,400 yes 2,400 bucks for 7 nights on Anthem to Coco Cay 2 adults and 2 kids. If you want the actual price it was 2,408 for 4. I dare you to find a better deal? This last 9 night cruise on Liberty was 2,600 bucks, again 2 adults 2 kids. Liberty again next Oct, 9 nights 2,549 and these are all balconies by the way. If you are not getting a good deal with KSF you are doing something wrong. I am going to cry when our oldest turns 12 in about 1 and half years. 

2 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

For anyone saying KSF is a scam or "doesn't save you money" I will just say we paid 2,400 yes 2,400 bucks for 7 nights on Anthem to Coco Cay 2 adults and 2 kids. If you want the actual price it was 2,408 for 4. I dare you to find a better deal? This last 9 night cruise on Liberty was 2,600 bucks, again 2 adults 2 kids. Liberty again next Oct, 9 nights 2,549 and these are all balconies by the way. If you are not getting a good deal with KSF you are doing something wrong. I am going to cry when our oldest turns 12 in about 1 and half years. 

I just ran my current reservation (3 adults + 1 kid, 7 nights in Alaska) with 4 adults. The difference is rougly $350 less with a child.

Just now, RCIfan1912 said:

Just have to find those kids sail free cruises but unfortunately I don't they do that on Alaskan cruises. I don't know though because I never really look them up. 

Maybe I didn't make myself clear:

I booked an Alaska cruise in April - it has KSF because it not during the blackout dates. I think the cost was fair, given it's QotS. But my question was regarding this quote:

KSF isn't always the best deal- they often raise the cruise fare so you're paying higher rates for guests 1&2

At least, to me, it sounds like there might be better deals available than KSF. I wonder what can be an example for that.

16 hours ago, JFCruise said:

At least, to me, it sounds like there might be better deals available than KSF. I wonder what can be an example for that.

For a family of 4, with one kid below 12 and one kid above 12 it could potentially be cheaper to book 2 double occupancy rooms instead of one quad occupancy room. Especially if the travel agency has group space.

20 hours ago, JFCruise said:

Maybe I didn't make myself clear:

I booked an Alaska cruise in April - it has KSF because it not during the blackout dates. I think the cost was fair, given it's QotS. But my question was regarding this quote:

Two rooms, regular or group rate. Often the rooms for 4 are more expensive than rooms for 2 by more than double. With or without KSF I have seen it cheaper to do two rooms than one room. 

1 hour ago, RCIfan1912 said:

I actually tried this 2 room theory the other day on the Liberty 9 day cruise next October so I contacted my TA and instead of it being 2,549 it was over 10 thousand. Again, I have no idea where these idea are coming from but it seems far fetched. I wish it wasn't because I'd love to have 2 rooms. 

Yeah, it really depends on the specific sailing and the exact point in time you are booking the cruise. You really just need to price out all your options at the time, and see what works best.

Seems like RCL does dynamic pricing based on the cabin category. And Royal changes around the categories all the time (that is why you will see multiple versions of deck plans for specific time periods). If a particular sailing has sold mostly Quad Occupancy cabins compared to Doubles, then the price of those will be higher. If they haven't sold many Quad cabins, then they price would be lower. Same thing with Connecting cabins (if you are booking at a time period where Connecting is a different category)

I've been sailing a lot when kids are out of school, so cabins for 4 tend to get booked up quickly, raising the price. I recall a time when I needed one cabin for 2 (for my wife and I) and one cabin for 3 (for my mom, son and daughter).  My cabin had an amazing group rate price, the other cabin was at prevailing rates.  My daughter, booked as a 3rd person, had a more expensive fare then I did. Was wild.

1 hour ago, Sharla said:

Two rooms, regular or group rate. Often the rooms for 4 are more expensive than rooms for 2 by more than double. With or without KSF I have seen it cheaper to do two rooms than one room. 

Thanks for the answer. I checked to see how much my current booking would be if I changed from a 4-person cabin (1 kid) to 2 doubles and lol...no luck. Price was almost doubled.

Maybe next time

5 minutes ago, karl_nj said:

Yeah, it really depends on the specific sailing and the exact point in time you are booking the cruise. You really just need to price out all your options at the time, and see what works best.

Seems like RCL does dynamic pricing based on the cabin category. And Royal changes around the categories all the time (that is why you will see multiple versions of deck plans for specific time periods). If a particular sailing has sold mostly Quad Occupancy cabins compared to Doubles, then the price of those will be higher. If they haven't sold many Quad cabins, then they price would be lower. Same thing with Connecting cabins (if you are booking at a time period where Connecting is a different category)

I've been sailing a lot when kids are out of school, so cabins for 4 tend to get booked up quickly, raising the price. I recall a time when I needed one cabin for 2 (for my wife and I) and one cabin for 3 (for my mom, son and daughter).  My cabin had an amazing group rate price, the other cabin was at prevailing rates.  My daughter, booked as a 3rd person, had a more expensive fare then I did. Was wild.

I agree I didn't do this checking properly because I didn't check at the time of booking but I will going forward. I would like 2 connecting rooms for the kids and us.