Messaging withing RC App/Communicating on the ship

How is the messaging feature within the RC app?  I know it is $1.99/user per day.  My wife and I tried using the app in 2021, but the app would not send a notification/pop up when a new message was received, so we had to constantly check the app for new messages.  Have they improved the functionality?  What has been people's experience in using the feature?   We are headed out on Symphony on 10/15 with another family and want to use this to communicate with each other and our teens.   Any advice is much appreciated.

• 2 months later...

For the life of me I can't understand why Royal invested millions in developing the chat functionality in the app and after all that effort they still don't understand that notification of new messages is the single most important part of chatting.  SMH.  

At this point some executive who endorsed the chat feature is just trying to save face and keep it alive to justify their position and all the development costs that went into it.  What a waste.  

On 12/12/2022 at 3:31 PM, twangster said:

For the life of me I can't understand why Royal invested millions in developing the chat functionality in the app and after all that effort they still don't understand that notification of new messages is the single most important part of chatting.  SMH.  

At this point some executive who endorsed the chat feature is just trying to save face and keep it alive to justify their position and all the development costs that went into it.  What a waste.  

This.  App notifications are a thing.  No reason the app has to be the one in use on the screen.

• 2 weeks later...

The notifications are still not showing up. If you're in the app when you get a message sometimes a notification banner would appear but otherwise you just need to go in and check to see if you have any new ones. But yeah, if you're not in the app or your phone is locked, whatever, it won't pop up a notification

53 minutes ago, Jolly Ogre said:

You know what? I turn off my phone and lock it in the safe.

I get messages and notifications clearly and on-time when I actually talk to the people I cruise with. There is no distractions and dinner conversations are face to face. 

Imagine that!!??

What did you people do before we had cell phones??

What did people do before there was a stick and a hoop?😜

1 hour ago, Jolly Ogre said:

You know what? I turn off my phone and lock it in the safe.

I get messages and notifications clearly and on-time when I actually talk to the people I cruise with. There is no distractions and dinner conversations are face to face. 

Imagine that!!??

What did you people do before we had cell phones??

Pretty sure people want it to help coordinate plans, find out where people are, or keep tabs on their kids. Is it necessary?  No, but it sure is better than a whiteboard on your stateroom door. 

14 hours ago, StayFrosty said:

Pretty sure people want it to help coordinate plans, find out where people are, or keep tabs on their kids. Is it necessary?  No, but it sure is better than a whiteboard on your stateroom door. 

Why are they letting their kids go about unsupervised?? If they are older like teens then they can check in from time to time face to face. 

31 minutes ago, Jolly Ogre said:

Why are they letting their kids go about unsupervised?? If they are older like teens then they can check in from time to time face to face. 

Agreed, check in from time to time.  Either find me anyplace I might be onboard or message me to find my location.  Which is easier?

19 minutes ago, Xaa said:

Agreed, check in from time to time.  Either find me anyplace I might be onboard or message me to find my location.  Which is easier?

Parenting is not always easy. Don't take the easy way out. You should and you should teach your children's to put forth effort. Lessons learned when they are young will last them a lifetime.

19 minutes ago, Jolly Ogre said:

Parenting is not always easy. Don't take the easy way out. You should and you should teach your children's to put forth effort. Lessons learned when they are young will last them a lifetime.

There's also no need to do it the difficult way for no other reason than "That's how we've always done it."  The messaging exists, the phones exist.  Use the best tools available.  Have fun and check in.

17 hours ago, Jolly Ogre said:

There is no distractions

Do you read a book on a cruise? Watch TV or movie? Those are distractions too.

If you don't want to use your phone on a cruise, that's totally fine. I respect your ability to get back to basics. But a phone is no more a distraction than any other form of media consumption.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Do you read a book on a cruise? Watch TV or movie? Those are distractions too.

If you don't want to use your phone on a cruise, that's totally fine. I respect your ability to get back to basics. But a phone is no more a distraction than any other form of media consumption.

I meant during dinner or a show... I see people on their phones all the time at dinner and during the show and not talking with the other people at the table or watching the show.

I did not mean for this to get all blow up... Take your cruise your way and relax and have fun... your on vacation!! 😎

This will be great if it’s free for all. I cruised with friends who did not have internet.  So we’d pick a few things for the next morning …”look for me here”.  However, I refuse to be locked into getting up early or cutting into what I feel like doing because of a “yoh said we’d meet”.  So one day I did not make any of the 3 preselected meetups because I slept in, went to the gym and had a late breakfast.  I was not about to go through every deck looking for my friend so I saw her at dinner.  The free messaging will be a game changer

19 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

This will be great if it’s free for all. I cruised with friends who did not have internet.  So we’d pick a few things for the next morning …”look for me here”.  However, I refuse to be locked into getting up early or cutting into what I feel like doing because of a “yoh said we’d meet”.  So one day I did not make any of the 3 preselected meetups because I slept in, went to the gym and had a late breakfast.  I was not about to go through every deck looking for my friend so I saw her at dinner.  The free messaging will be a game changer

Chat was free on Oasis 12-18-22.  First time it didn't prompt me to accept the charge.  

On 12/28/2022 at 8:59 AM, Xaa said:

There's also no need to do it the difficult way for no other reason than "That's how we've always done it."  The messaging exists, the phones exist.  Use the best tools available.  Have fun and check in.

Correct.  Indoor plumbing, automobiles, air conditioning, smart phones - why deny advances that make life better and/or easier.

So I've seen mixed reviews on the messenger but they've almost all had to do with notifications.  I've also seen a few people say the notifications work fine if you tweek a few things in your phones settings (allowing push notifications on the app). Does anyone know if this is the case,and most people claiming it doesn't work just don't know the trick?

On 12/27/2022 at 4:23 PM, EvergreenCruzers said:

What did people do before there was a stick and a hoop?😜

While I too hate hauling my phone on the ship. (and prefer leaving in the cabin)   I think the app has become pretty useful now that the reservation and calendar features are  working well.   Since get internet plans, we just used FB messenger.    Just when you think you're out, they drag you back in....

Wow, it's disappointing that this somehow took a turn into a parenting thread and a lecture on descreening while on vacation. 

This has the potential to be a great feature for those sailing in groups who do not have staterooms all in the same area. Too bad Royal developed it during amateur hour with no notification feature. That's like App Dev 101. Hopefully steffenmande's report is fleetwide and they have made the necessary changes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2023 at 10:59 PM, Pooch said:

iPhone? What do you have set up for notifications settings?

On an Android 🙂 i think my settings are default!

I will note that i did not use it a lot - i only know i got notifications because my girlfriend tried to write once and I got the notification about it!

As we got Voom every time we cruise we just use our regular social media instead