Seasick - Post concussion

We are going to Alaska in 2024 on Radiance OTS southbound.  DD1 gets motion sick (post concussion from March 2020).  The cruise will be 4+ years post concussion.  She will be in a balcony cabin.  Would it be better to be on the Port side (looking at land) or Starboard (looking at the horizon above the sea)?

Will it make a difference to get a cabin with the head of the beds facing toward the front of the ship?  If so how do you make sure? 

She takes ginger pills and will try patches and other things before the cruise.  I suggested getting a prescription dose medicine just incase it is needed.  She wants to go, but wants to be prepared.  As long as the seas are ok, she should be ok with fresh air.  

Thanks in advance

Beware the patches (mine was Scopolamine Transdermal) side effects. When you stated possibly would "try" them before the cruise I just felt the need to share my experience.  My Doctor prescribed them and the pharmacy filled the order. At no time was I advised that the sea sick patches while providing relief must run their course. They worked fine but the cotton mouth was a bit annoying. I was scared my first sailing so I faithfully replaced them every 3rd day as directed on my 7 night sailing. My 3rd patch I ripped off on the drive home after only wearing it the previous day, OMG I almost went to the emergency room. DON'T DO THAT. Let the patch run it's course, the withdrawal is brutal. I don't use them much anymore but if I must, I wear it until it practically falls off by itself then I don't seem to have any withdrawal discomforts. 

The inside passage has land visible on both side more that not if my memory (we did northbound on the Radiance) serves me correctly.  I get sea sick easily and I take Bonine at night.  I start taking it about 2 days before cruise so that it is in my system and I haven't had problems since I started do this.  I have been told that taking Ginger helps; however, I haven't tried that yet to see for myself.

3 hours ago, Audrey V. said:

Another concern may be the balcony room. Even with the blackout shades, the Alaska cruise stays very sunny. May want to consider an interior room if light is an issue. 

5+ years ago that was the case.  Her issues are minor compared to where she had been.  She is back to work and living a normal life.  Thank heavens.

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, SteelersNationVA said:

Hello - just wondering if there is a way or place to figure out which way the beds face.  DD1 nor I like to ride backwards on a train.  We both surmise sleeping backwards would be disconcerting.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

You could always call Royal or your TA to try to find out.  They can't be changed without rebooking to a different cabin.  

To be honest, I can't imagine the bed direction making a big difference.  I would use the suggestions above and bring the prescription stuff as a backup.  As I said above my wife is prone to motion sickness and the sea bands work well for her.

32 minutes ago, SteelersNationVA said:

Hello - just wondering if there is a way or place to figure out which way the beds face.  DD1 nor I like to ride backwards on a train.  We both surmise sleeping backwards would be disconcerting.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I don't like riding  backwards on a train, but I've never had this sensation on a ship when doing the same. The size of the ship, speed of the ship, and lack of changing scenery make it much different than a train.