Anthem of the Sea - Deck 7 question

Marmaduke

Hi again. We sailed on Indy (first cruise) in 2019, staying on deck 7, balcony cabin 7668. We found the location good so this time around when looking to choose a cabin on Anthem We were thinking of booking a cabin location similar to our cabin on Indy. However I've read a few things on various sites saying that the lifeboats below on deck 5 or 6 can really affect views from deck 7.   Since views are important to us I'm now considering a cabin on deck 12. (Posted yesterday re a cabin near the Concierge club- thank you for replies)

I know everyone is different but I'd love to get some feedback here. We like to sit out on our balcony a fair bit and relax so don't want to risk any view spoilers. 

Thank you so much. This site is so good! I asked screeds of questions before our first cruise in 2019 and can honestly say that the tips and advice I received on this blog was invaluable.

Balconies in general start on deck 6 on this class.  

Deck 6 has more obstructed compared to the deck 7 obstructed cabins.  The obstructed cabins on deck 6 & 7 are the same price so compared to deck 6, deck 7 is much better.

Keep in mind both are advertised as "obstructed" so take them for what they are - a way to get a balcony cabin ar a lower price with the trade off of accepting some obstruction.  These are not sold to unsuspecting cruisers, anyone booking an obstructing cabin should expect... an obstruction.  There are a few spots on deck 6 & 7 that are not obstructed by the vast majority of deck 6 & 7 balcony cabins are obstructed.  Once your look at deck 8 only then are there no obstructed balconies on this class.  

Here are some pics from a deck 7 obstructed balcony on a sister ship.

oy-0122-4.jpg

oy-0122-5.jpg

oy-0122-29.jpg

oy-0122-34.jpg

oy-0122-51.jpg

oy-0122-52.jpg

oy-0122-53.jpg

The reason to book deck 6 or 7 is save money knowing there will be obstruction.  If this sort of obstruction exceeds your desires then look to balcony cabins on deck 8 or above that typically book at a slightly higher cost compared to deck 6 & 7.

20 hours ago, twangster said:

Balconies in general start on deck 6 on this class.  

Deck 6 has more obstructed compared to the deck 7 obstructed cabins.  The obstructed cabins on deck 6 & 7 are the same price so compared to deck 6, deck 7 is much better.

Keep in mind both are advertised as "obstructed" so take them for what they are - a way to get a balcony cabin ar a lower price with the trade off of accepting some obstruction.  These are not sold to unsuspecting cruisers, anyone booking an obstructing cabin should expect... an obstruction.  There are a few spots on deck 6 & 7 that are not obstructed by the vast majority of deck 6 & 7 balcony cabins are obstructed.  Once your look at deck 8 only then are there no obstructed balconies on this class.  

I'm not sure I entirely agree.  Most of Deck 7 on Anthem is "officially" listed as unobstructed (4D/3D/2D/1D), there are only a few listed as obstructed (2E/1E) (I count 11):

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/anthem-of-the-seas/deck-plans/2142/07

Most of Deck 7 balconies are in the same price category as Deck 8/9/10/11/12 (4D/3D/2D/1D)

48 minutes ago, karl_nj said:

I'm not sure I entirely agree.  Most of Deck 7 on Anthem is "officially" listed as unobstructed (4D/3D/2D/1D), there are only a few listed as obstructed (2E/1E) (I count 11):

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/anthem-of-the-seas/deck-plans/2142/07

Most of Deck 7 balconies are in the same price category as Deck 8/9/10/11/12 (4D/3D/2D/1D)

Any balconies that are obstructed on deck 7 are listed as so when you book.  We chose an obstructed balcony and were shown what was available on 6 and 7.  We found a larger balcony on 7 that is supposedly obstructed, but we'll take the extra space over the view.

26 minutes ago, Kirsten said:

Any balconies that are obstructed on deck 7 are listed as so when you book.  We chose an obstructed balcony and were shown what was available on 6 and 7.  We found a larger balcony on 7 that is supposedly obstructed, but we'll take the extra space over the view.

I don't disagree that there are obstructed balconies on Deck 7.  I disagree that "the vast majority of deck 6 & 7 balcony cabins are obstructed."  There are eleven Category "E" balconies on deck 7.  Eleven is not the "vast majority"   Most balconies are Deck 7 are classified as unobstructed.  The "vast majority" of balconies on deck 7 are classified as unobstructed.  The "vast majority" of balconies on Deck 6 are indeed classified as obstructed, however.

16 minutes ago, karl_nj said:

I don't disagree that there are obstructed balconies on Deck 7.  I disagree that "the vast majority of deck 6 & 7 balcony cabins are obstructed."  There are eleven Category "E" balconies on deck 7.  Eleven is not the "vast majority"   Most balconies are Deck 7 are classified as unobstructed.  The "vast majority" of balconies on deck 7 are classified as unobstructed.  The "vast majority" of balconies on Deck 6 are indeed classified as obstructed, however.

You may argue that Royal has stopped them obstructed so they aren't obstructed, I argue they are still obstructed.   If you want to pay more for them on the basis that Royal says they are not obstructed on Anthem (but are on other ships in class) that's up to you.  

Look at Ovation which is a mirror copy of Anthem.  Deck 7 is still called obstructed for most cabins.  

10 hours ago, twangster said:

You may argue that Royal has stopped them obstructed so they aren't obstructed, I argue they are still obstructed.   If you want to pay more for them on the basis that Royal says they are not obstructed on Anthem (but are on other ships in class) that's up to you.  

Look at Ovation which is a mirror copy of Anthem.  Deck 7 is still called obstructed for most cabins.  

Yeah, I totally agree that royal *should* classify them as obstructed, but they don't.

I think the takeaway here is avoid much of Deck 7, as you will likely pay exactly the same as you would for a higher deck, but have more of an obstruction.  At least on Anthem.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Stephanie X said:

Have our first cruise this coming spring on Anthem. We are in 7200 & 7202. Now I’m so scared that our view will stink. I specifically asked for a clear view when I booked. Anyone have input on those specific rooms? 

it means basically if you walk to the railing and look down, there will be life boats, not water.  Deck 7 labeled obstructed are usually in front of the white arms that hold up the life boats. Deck 7 on the bumps have a straight down water view.  Siting on the balcony and looking out straight, you should be fine.  For an example, check out this room video  https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/slideshow-cabin.php?ship=Anthem-of-the-Seas&cabin=7210 from a few doors down.

5 hours ago, Qeyton Dude said:

it means basically if you walk to the railing and look down, there will be life boats, not water.  Deck 7 labeled obstructed are usually in front of the white arms that hold up the life boats. Deck 7 on the bumps have a straight down water view.  Siting on the balcony and looking out straight, you should be fine.  For an example, check out this room video  https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/slideshow-cabin.php?ship=Anthem-of-the-Seas&cabin=7210 from a few doors down.

Thank you! This makes me so sad that we paid so much and they basically picked my rooms for us when I asked for mid ship, no obstructed view, and 2 rooms close together. 😔 

20 hours ago, Stephanie X said:

Thank you! This makes me so sad that we paid so much and they basically picked my rooms for us when I asked for mid ship, no obstructed view, and 2 rooms close together. 😔 

if your sail is still a month or more away, I'ld give them a call and ask for a higher deck, it can't hurt to ask even if closer in.

27 minutes ago, Mike6453 said:

I try to book on deck 10 or 11 this gives a great view and its not to far  down to the esplanade or up to the pool deck/solarium. I avoid anything near a life boat, just my humble opinion.

We also avoid cabins directly above or below a public space.  We booked directly under the pool deck a few years back and were awakened several time by sounds of deck chairs being dragged above us.  I have read of others whose cabins were directly above or below a nightclub venue and the thumping of the sub-woofers were brutal.

On 11/22/2022 at 12:12 AM, Stephanie X said:

Have our first cruise this coming spring on Anthem. We are in 7200 & 7202. Now I’m so scared that our view will stink. I specifically asked for a clear view when I booked. Anyone have input on those specific rooms? 

I was able to find a picture from the balcony of 7200 and your view shouldn't be too bad. Looking at pictures from other cabins on deck 7, you may have to top of the lifeboat supports in the lower 1/2 of your view, if you were sitting in a lounge chair. If you are standing at your balcony railing, your view will be just fine.

https://youtu.be/g23Yk6ROhGY

here is a video link of a similar cabin

Don't get too hung up on your stateroom view. You will be surprised how little time is spent there. Just enjoy the cruise!!