RCCL now charging for Room Service

BillHoo

I just pulled this from another site.  Have not yet seen a press release:

As of March 2017, RCCL has begun charging 7.95 for each Room Service order. This charge will become fleet wide by the end of May 2017. A continental, cold breakfast, of pastries and the like, is still free. A hot breakfast of any kind, such as eggs, meats, etc., will require payment. 

NEW "UPSCALE" ROOM SERVICE MENUS are the catalyst for this charge, according to the RCCL website. We compared the new menu to menus we saved from our 2015 and 2016 cruises, and this new menu is not much different that the last one. In fact, some favorites, such as the honey-stung chicken, are gone. It is still mostly a 'snacking' menu, with only one or two true entrees. 

A long discussion on this topic can be found here:  http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php/topic/3508-another-included-perk-being-removed/

Personally, I'm not a fan of the change and have been very outspoken about it in the thread linked above.

Looking at the trends in the cruise industry and what's happening at all-inclusive resorts, I'm predicting that at some point the buffet will take the place of the MDR and that you'll need reservations for smaller complimentary, a la carte, and cover charge restaurants within the next 5 to 10 years.