Shore Excursions in Greece/Italy

jen0990

This is my first cruise and I have had a lot of advice to not book through the RC website and instead to explore on our own.  However, there seems to be very limited information (or maybe just too hard for me to find) in regards to the ports, and how far the different sights to see are and where else you could book them through that are reliable.  Does anyone have advice on these places of where to look for other options?  Specifically if you have been to these ports and had good experiences with them.  Or if we can just grab a cheap taxi and head to the local spots?

We are young newlyweds and want to explore the local communities and eat local food and not just shop or sit around (unless it is on a beautiful beach :) !

Also, how/when would we be able to get our money converted so we can use it?

Appreciate any advice as this is our first cruise outing and it is our honeymoon!

Thanks,

Jennifer

For currency, you can check with your bank to see if they have an exchange service.  Avoid doing it at the airport as it will cost you a fortune.  Personally, I typically use a credit card that doesn't charge an annual fee and hit an ATM at the airport after landing or in port.  ATMs tend to offer the best exchange rates.

This is my first cruise and I have had a lot of advice to not book through the RC website and instead to explore on our own.  However, there seems to be very limited information (or maybe just too hard for me to find) in regards to the ports, and how far the different sights to see are and where else you could book them through that are reliable.  Does anyone have advice on these places of where to look for other options?  Specifically if you have been to these ports and had good experiences with them.  Or if we can just grab a cheap taxi and head to the local spots?

We are young newlyweds and want to explore the local communities and eat local food and not just shop or sit around (unless it is on a beautiful beach :) !

Also, how/when would we be able to get our money converted so we can use it?

Appreciate any advice as this is our first cruise outing and it is our honeymoon!

Thanks,

Jennifer

Jennifer,

Need more info. Which ship, when is your cruise, which ports, etc, etc. Having been to both Italy and Greece "back in the day", I would now be very reluctant to venture out on my own to explore the local spots. What with all the terrorist stuff going on, I would strongly recommend you and your newly web stick to the excursions offered by Royal Caribbean. Those will be safe and get you back on board well before boarding time. Of course if you are in a port and a nice little bistro is within walking distance of the ship, and you can see the bistro from the ship go for it! But, please, think twice about getting into a taxi with a driver who can show "all the sights for a few American dollars".