Booking UDP & Availability

MattG

Hi everyone, 

I have UDP, and want to start planning which restaurants to go to on which nights. This ties in a bit with the entertainment schedule, as i'm not going to book Izumi Hibachi on a night with a 7pm show I want to see. I know with UDP, I can't book until we get onboard. 

I can go into the Cruise Planner right now and do a standalone reservation for Chops Grille. I pick my party members, pick my Day, then a reservation from the available times. 

Is this representative of ALL remaining availability for this restaurant? Or are a block of reservation times held back for those with dining packages? If Chops Grille only shows 5:00pm, 5:15pm, and 9:00pm, would it be possible to get a 6:00pm dining time once we get onboard? 

The short answer is yes, it's possible to get a 6PM reservation once on board.  The website is only showing what availability they are selling pre-cruise.  Royal does not publish what percentage of availability is held back for UDP or other on board bookings but frequent cruisers with UDP report no trouble getting what they want.  Of course, the standard caveats apply.  The later you board and the later you get around to making your UDP reservations, the more flexible you might have to get.

So, they actually hold most of the reservation times for people onboard. The people who pay outright for a dinner are subject to a small number of reservations for those times, which is probably why the most popular times are already gone. 

With a decent boarding time, you should have no problem getting the times you want........unless you have a huge party. Obviously if it is 6+ people there may be a small issue with getting larger tables.

Thanks everyone!

There's nine of us (a part of 5 and a part of 4), and we have a boarding time of 10:30am. We're registering at our muster stations, then headed to Playmakers for lunch. Two of us will peel off and head to a specialty restaurant to book dining. We understand we'll probably have to book a reso of 5 and a reso of 4, with the hope they can seat us near each other. Izumi Hibachi will be the tough one as we'll want to get us all at the same table.