Boarding at a different port in the US

Mike6453

A friend of mine wants to join us on anthem for the '22 holiday cruise 12/18. She just found out that her oldest son has a final on the second day of the cruise, is it possible for him to board in Orlando?

I understand its not the initial embarkation but what if someone missed the time in general due to say a flight wouldn't they be able to head to the next port....?

thanks

12 minutes ago, Mike6453 said:

I would agree, but I do know that are time when you book flights through RC that if something happens they get you to the next port, but that is through RC and part of the point of doing that.

So from what I understand there are a lot of moving parts that go into that and it gets complex when the ship is visiting a US port after debarkation.

As for people missing their flight and boarding, like you said, the flight has to be booked with Air 2Sea and there has to be flight-related reasons why the flight missed the cruise. Your friend having a prior arrangement wouldn't qualify and even if booked with air 2 sea they wouldn't let them on.

I second trying to get the final moved up. In my (now farther than I like to think) school-time experience, most teachers are kind enough to do it on occasion. Alternatively, perhaps the final could be done online(?) and then your friend would need to get a 24-hour internet purchase and her son could take it on the actual day.

16 minutes ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

So from what I understand there are a lot of moving parts that go into that and it gets complex when the ship is visiting a US port after debarkation.

As for people missing their flight and boarding, like you said, the flight has to be booked with Air 2Sea and there has to be flight-related reasons why the flight missed the cruise. Your friend having a prior arrangement wouldn't qualify and even if booked with air 2 sea they wouldn't let them on.

I second trying to get the final moved up. In my (now farther than I like to think) school-time experience, most teachers are kind enough to do it on occasion. Alternatively, perhaps the final could be done online(?) and then your friend would need to get a 24-hour internet purchase and her son could take it on the actual day.

Thanks, I checked its in person only. I think he will have to see if he can move it up or she will have to go without him.

4 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

You'd have a better chance at getting the final moved up than to board late

Might be easier to ask for later test.  I had a prof that let me take a test late due to an out of the country trip.  Rational was he would rather have one person (me) cheat, rather than have me share the questions with the rest of the class.

28 minutes ago, ScooterScott22 said:

Might be easier to ask for later test.  I had a prof that let me take a test late due to an out of the country trip.  Rational was he would rather have one person (me) cheat, rather than have me share the questions with the rest of the class.

That'd work too. Either way move the test do a non-cruise date.

Boarding in Orlando would violate the PVSA (federal law).  That would amount to Royal transporting them from one US city to another, Orlando (Port Canaveral) to Bayonne.  There is a federal law involved because Royal operates foreign flagged ships.

In the past you might have been able to request boarding in a non-US port on the cruise but Royal has officially ended the practice of "downlining" so that is not an option either right now. 

Basically the answer is no.   

While I do agree that it wont work, Orlando is the second stop  and after that is Miami, after Miami the ship goes to Nassau and coco cay the foreign places and then back north. in either case she has found a separate solution where she will take the older son on cruise in January by himself which happens to be 11 nights. she sees this as win win for her 🤣 🤣

16 hours ago, Mike6453 said:

While I do agree that it wont work, Orlando is the second stop  and after that is Miami, after Miami the ship goes to Nassau and coco cay the foreign places and then back north. in either case she has found a separate solution where she will take the older son on cruise in January by himself which happens to be 11 nights. she sees this as win win for her 🤣 🤣

Glad to hear they've worked it out in a way that will make everyone happy ^_^

16 hours ago, Mike6453 said:

None of these facts change the fact that boarding in Orlando would violate PVSA, and would not be allowed.