Cruiseline Insurance vs third-party insurance

jreese679

Our only experience is with Allianz. 

We had two claims in two years. 

First in September 2021 for a damaged suitcase.  Payment received in…three weeks as I remember  

Second was this month (9/22).  Claim was for extra expenses (hotel, etc) due to flight delays.  Payment received in a week. 

We get their mid level coverage…I can’t remember what it’s called right now. 

4 hours ago, tjcruisers said:

Never used cruise line insurance, does it cover more than the cruise portion of the trip?

It covers items related to the cruise, which include the cruise itself, baggage, medical issues on the cruise, and certain transportation-related events getting to the cruise.   That means, for example, if something happens while driving to the port there is coverage.  So it's not like you wait until you are onboard the ship.   However, there are very specific provisions.  Hurricane coverage doesn't mean you are nervous about the storm and decide you are going to cancel.  You really need to read the details. You can look up the standard policy by state by going through Royal's links.

PS.  To be covered for "pre-existing conditions" you must purchase insurance within a certain period of time after booking the cruise.  A travel agent will know this and follow-up for you.

5 hours ago, VeronicaS1970 said:

Anyone here do the yearly plan? With us increasing our travel we are considering a yearly plan instead of each trip. Just curious if anyone has experience with it. 

Yes, we have a yearly plan that we use and it pays for itself on the second cruise within the coverage year. The one we use has the same coverage as the single plan and is barely over double the cost of the single. We are up in age and paid $460 for the $1M plan that covers us both. The single plan was more than half that cost.

1 hour ago, CrznTxn said:

Yes, we have a yearly plan that we use and it pays for itself on the second cruise within the coverage year. The one we use has the same coverage as the single plan and is barely over double the cost of the single. We are up in age and paid $460 for the $1M plan that covers us both. The single plan was more than half that cost.

Can I ask who your policy is with? I have been researching annual policies myself. Thanks!

7 hours ago, VeronicaS1970 said:

Anyone here do the yearly plan? With us increasing our travel we are considering a yearly plan instead of each trip. Just curious if anyone has experience with it. 

I have an Allianz yearly plan.  Only made one claim (not cruise related) but it covers any trip that I take that's more than 100 miles from my home.

On 9/28/2022 at 3:58 PM, jreese679 said:

What's best for someone with excellent health insurance, the cruuseline insurance or a third-party insurer?

I'd highly recommend comparing the list of covered events included in the trip cancellation and trip interruption portion of the policy statement and compare that with plans available via other travel insurance providers.  insuremytrip.com is a nice site to compare prices and coverage from a wide selection of insurance providers.  Allianz is surely the biggest provider, but based on what I've found, their covered events can be quite restrictive in comparison with other providers.

For example, the list of covered events for the Royal Caribbean offered travel insurance plan is only half a page long, while the list of covered events for a WorldTrips insurance plan is nearly three pages.  Also, when you purchase the travel insurance through Royal Caribbean when booking the cruise, you're only covering pre-paid cruise expenses and not other travel arrangements (flights, 3rd party excursions, hotels, etc.).

When you say you have excellent health insurance, you still may not be covered for care provided onboard a cruise ship or in a foreign country.  Having medical included as part of your travel insurance plan is a good way to ensure you're covered in the case of an emergency.