Who wears their Crown & Anchor pin? WHY?

Censored

We'll achieve Diamond status late next year.

The only reason I'd wear a pin is if it worked like a Star Trek communicator so I could speak with my fellow cruisers and/or get transported immediately to one of the specialty restaurants on command. 🤣

"Make it so, Number 1!" 🤣

Make It So Star Trek GIF

38 minutes ago, JimnKathy said:

We'll achieve Diamond status late next year.

The only reason I'd wear a pin is if it worked like a Star Trek communicator so I could speak with my fellow cruisers and/or get transported immediately to one of the specialty restaurants on command. 🤣

"Make it so, Number 1!" 🤣

Make It So Star Trek GIF

Beam me up to Izumi Hibachi, Scotty! 🤣

On 9/28/2022 at 5:38 PM, Eddy said:

Look at me, Im special?  LOL.  Whats the point?  Perhaps to make aware to staff  your relevance?   I notice more Pinnacle really like to show off their pins. Im Diamond Plus. I don't wear the pin., I 63 years old,   If I ever reach Pinnacle by age 90, I just might wear that pin!

I'm now Emerald and never received any pins at what level do you get them? 

I like the discrete look of the Diamond pin and wear it on the lapel of my formal jacket, even when not cruising. It's not about bragging for me, just think it looks nice on the lape. We'll get D+ on our upcoming TA cruise and haven't seen the D+ pin until now (previous post). It looks pretty big and I don't think I would wear that one. Except maybe on a captain's uniform cap 🙂

On 9/30/2022 at 12:19 PM, Carlos A. said:

I don't think that wearing them is what bothers other people, is the people that act entitled while using them, so go ahead and wear whatever you want on your next cruise, I'm sure no one will be disgusted about it, unless you act entitled... 

Couldn't agree more.  It is not the wearing of the pin, but the "better-than-thou" attitude that a very, very few exhibit from time to time.  Our experience was once trying to get off the ship in Ft. Lauderdale early in order to start our 800 mile drive home, some Pinnacled Princes complained that the early departure was supposed to be for the Pinnacle guests.  

The few Pinnacle exhibitionist remind me of of man I met in Arlington, VA who years ago lived on a neighborhood with a lot of retired generals and admirals who had their name and rank on their mailboxes.  He put his name and rank on his mailbox as well, "Private (Retired)."

22 hours ago, Thorntor said:

Couldn't agree more.  It is not the wearing of the pin, but the "better-than-thou" attitude that a very, very few exhibit from time to time.  Our experience was once trying to get off the ship in Ft. Lauderdale early in order to start our 800 mile drive home, some Pinnacled Princes complained that the early departure was supposed to be for the Pinnacle guests.  

The few Pinnacle exhibitionist remind me of of man I met in Arlington, VA who years ago lived on a neighborhood with a lot of retired generals and admirals who had their name and rank on their mailboxes.  He put his name and rank on his mailbox as well, "Private (Retired)."

Being on the Crown Loft Suite on the Oasis, entitled me to dine at the Coastal Kitchen which Matt feels quite blasé about. I sat next to an older couple who were wearing their Pinnacle pins. They were quite proud of the achievement , as they only sail  booking inside cabins, never had a balcony!  I think also, the staff on board can recognize the pins as well, therefore  the concierge do not have to embarrass any guests questioning their entry. I also notice at all the  Crown and Anchor meetings, (to meet the captain and recent achievers they mostly wear their pins. I am still amazed when certain individuals are rewarded and acknowledged for getting 2,000, 3,000 points plus.   Some are single!

On 9/28/2022 at 1:16 PM, Mike n Ky said:

About cruise number 4 I noticed these gold bar pins some were wearing. I thought there was a convention aboard the ship and when I got on an elevator with a couple wearing 'the' pins I asked if they were part of a convention group...he stood up straighter and declared, no, we are pinnacle. 

Our status is diamond, a few cruises away from plus...I will never wear a pin nor do I mention my status when talking to the crew. There was a time when I looked forward to the discounts on balcony and suites as a part of our level but that really doesn't apply anymore. Now it's about some of the little perks, like not having to buy my wife the specialty drink package, and getting aboard the ship easier.

FWIW, I doubt we will ever hit pinnacle and once we have plus I expect we will begin to mix up our cruises between Royal and Celebrity. We cruise because we really enjoy it and already have 3 booked in 23 and looking at cruises for 24.

If status helps on embarkation, then I may make mention.  Otherwise no.  Im with you on mixing it up with Celebrity. Cant wait to try the new retreat suites, less kids,  and better food. 

I'm not seeing an obvious answer... How about that its just plain a fun thing to do?. People hide or find ducks, they dress up on 70's or white night or formal night for the MDR.  They sport high dollar purses of wear Rolexes. They go out of their way to decorate doors or make tee shirts for their groups. For them its fun , Fun that they earned.  I said it earlier in this thread. How many that won't wear pins drive that fancy car or have a big house or custom tailored suits? Give em a break! Live and let live... 

• 1 month later...
On 9/29/2022 at 5:20 PM, PRMLVM said:

I would probably put mine on the lanyard or carry-on, as has been suggested.  Bathing suit (from an earlier post) no way!  I think that the pins show you have experience and that you'd (probably) welcome conversations and questions (esp for newbies).  I'm not comfortable with the phrase "earned it".....if others had more money and a more flexible job, we could "earn it" too.  Just some tricky implications with that phrase.  But, again, I don't default to assuming that's what people are trying to display.  My thought is that they are kind of ambassadors who might be interested in telling stories, answering questions for the rest of us "earning" our way up!

I still mostly stand by my statement that people wear the pins to indicate experience/openness to share that experience (why call attention to it if you don't want to talk to others?)

BUT: I had an experience on Harmony just this week that made me think of this thread.  A lady in the row ahead of me at a show struck up a conversation with those sitting next to her.  By the second sentence, she said "Well, we are pinnacle which makes us the highest ranking passengers on the ship" (!!!).  The conversation was about standing in line and she told her new friends, "Well, since I'm Pinnacle that means I'm the highest ranking passenger on the ship, so I just join any line and as soon as staff sees me they just pull me to the front."  

After she got her point across, she really was friendly and gave the other couple (first time cruisers) some very nice advice!  So I guess she embodied the best and the worst of the pin-wearers as described in this thread!

I saw her around the ship the rest of the week and my husband and I said, "There goes the highest ranking passenger on the ship!"

Just a story too funny not to share.

1 hour ago, Linda R said:

We are  Dia+ and have never worn a pin.  Next spring we will be Pinnacle and still do not plan to wear the pins.  Just not a pin wearer.  And I have my seapass card to show my status if needed.  But I do not care who wears pins and who doesn't.  Just an individual choice.

By any chance is your spring cruise Wonder end of April?

14 hours ago, PRMLVM said:

"Well, since I'm Pinnacle that means I'm the highest ranking passenger on the ship

I completely understand where this woman was coming from. As a Platinum member in CA Society, I will often explore staff-only areas, take food off other passengers’ plates, and take over giving lessons on the iFly and Flowrider. If anyone ever questions me, I just point to the Platinum pin I constantly wear, even in the shower, and that quiets them down pretty quickly. 

13 hours ago, Linda R said:

We are  Dia+ and have never worn a pin.  Next spring we will be Pinnacle and still do not plan to wear the pins.  Just not a pin wearer.  And I have my seapass card to show my status if needed.  But I do not care who wears pins and who doesn't.  Just an individual choice.

Congratulations on your future achievement and your sane approach to loyalty status.