ron s

• SpeedNoodles changed the title to Jewel OTS Greenland Sept 14-28, 2023
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2023 at 9:02 PM, iceberg said:

Can you tour on your own for example?

You can tour the towns on your own, but if you want to get to a glacier or other out-of-town location you need to book some kind of excursion. Can be ship-hosted or third-party, but definitely pre-book. There are literally no roads in between towns in Greenland; all transport is via boat or helicopter. So you need to have things lined up well before you arrive.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Yesterday,  the "amidst the icebergs by RIB" excursion in Nanortalik went on sale. I tried to book it, but the Royal IT department struck again. This morning,  it's sold out, even though it says 6 slots available. 

Is anyone else in the same situation? Maybe royal expands the tour, but I doubt it.

Would anyone be interested in going in together on a private excursion similar to this one?

On 4/20/2023 at 7:31 AM, Brenden said:

I emailed as well—think positive!!! 

I received a response yesterday and they said they were unable to add this excursion. 😭

As a final hail Mary pass, I've contacted Private Journeys from the shore excursion page.  They will get back to me next week if there is anything they can do. If we go this route, I'd like to know how many people would want to go and if we should add some additional stops to our tour.

Please respond to this with your thoughts.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, all!

Just an FYI in case you aren't aware, the Roll Call boards at other places (CC & FB) have been very busy since this cruise has started booking.  SUPERGRANDMA has even created a spreadsheet listing everyone on the cruise plus plans already setup (meetup, Slot Pull, etc.). Be sure to check it out:  https://sites.google.com/view/greenland-9-14-23-cruise/home

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2023 at 9:10 AM, steverk said:

I've never cruised anywhere that exchanging currency would be necessary. 

iHow much is everyone planning to exchange? How are you planning to do it?

As I'm not planning on anyone accepting credit cards, I'm going to exchange more than usual - most banks with advance notice can get foreign money (Denmark doesn't use the Euro so you'll need to order Danish Kroner) at whatever exchange rate is going plus their fee. Also Guest Services can usually change money but only a small amount (when we cruised to Europe it was, like, $50 per cabin) and the exchange rate isn't good.

Since we are doing prepaid excursions I'm only looking at $$$ for snacks, souvenirs and tips (remember your tour guide, people!) so maybe $250 US. Also: just as with almost any other place in the world, you can use U.S. currency but at who knows what kind of rate. 

Keep in mind we're also hitting several places in Canada but credit cards won't be a problem there and banks can easily track down Canadian currency.

5 hours ago, Riley said:

As I'm not planning on anyone accepting credit cards, I'm going to exchange more than usual - most banks with advance notice can get foreign money (Denmark doesn't use the Euro so you'll need to order Danish Kroner) at whatever exchange rate is going plus their fee. Also Guest Services can usually change money but only a small amount (when we cruised to Europe it was, like, $50 per cabin) and the exchange rate isn't good.

Since we are doing prepaid excursions I'm only looking at $$$ for snacks, souvenirs and tips (remember your tour guide, people!) so maybe $250 US. Also: just as with almost any other place in the world, you can use U.S. currency but at who knows what kind of rate. 

Keep in mind we're also hitting several places in Canada but credit cards won't be a problem there and banks can easily track down Canadian currency.

Thanks for the response.  I called RCI and asked. They said they have no intention of converting currency on this particular cruise.  I guess they don't sail to Greenland enough to risk being stuck with a bunch of Danish Krone.

On 6/14/2023 at 9:20 AM, Riley said:

I was walking through the mall today and found a currency exchange kiosk. Turns out it was much cheaper than my bank and they have branches throughout Texas & Florida.  So, if you live in the right place, you might be able to convert at Texas Currency Exchange/Florida Currency Exchange for a pretty good deal.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to this cruise!  We have been looking forward to this for around 2 years.  We books as soon as it was available (for whatever reason, I cannot find the initial confirmation).  

Going to try to blog everyday - fingers crossed.  Have not done that before.  Here is my quirky little blog - https://seaswithseeman.blogspot.com/

Hope to see some of you onboard shortly.

• AshleyDillo changed the title to xSAILEDx Jewel OTS Greenland Sept 14-28, 2023