How are the shows?

Hi everyone, I was wondering what the shows are like on Royal.  Are they like professional Vegas shows? Having cruised only with Carnival, that's all I know, but they are pretty good. There's comedians, both PG and rated R, some magic shows, including Destination Unknown, if anyone is familiar with that, really awesome. Of course they have lots of singing and dancing shows, including their Legends show (which is basically a souped up karaoke).

I'm sold on Navigator and convinced my husband to give it a try (yay!) Now we're just curious about the shows because we enjoy going to them.

I can't speak for Navigator or Carnival or professional Vegas shows.....but...lol

The shows ranged of course. The "PG" shows or kids shows of course were what they were. But I also enjoyed some great comedy with a comic that actually did some shows in Vegas and on HBO and also some of the dancers etc were pretty good.

They also will have smaller shows at different venus on the boat, and RCL has some of their own shows which are veru popular like the Quest game(i think thats the name) along with a few others. Always enjoyable.

I am guessing the bigger the boat, the higher the level of shows. Ships like Allure and Oasis have broadway quality shows from my understanding.

I am sure others here will be able to give you first hand experience from Navigator.

I can only speak for the Explorer and the shows there were terrible!

We had singers and dancers and they were good but the shows had no storyline at all (all 3 of them) the magician was good and 1 of the comedian was ok.

But I hope the shows on other ships are better than this ones because they were a waste of time....

Thanks! I watched someone's 25-minute long YouTube vacation video of the highlights of NOS. It was actually a pretty informative video, but all he said about the shows were to be sure and catch the ice skating show because it was great. Well, I'm not too sure how I feel about an ice skating show and he didn't cover any other shows, so that's why I'm asking.

Sandya, sorry your shows weren't good. I hope that was just a fluke!

Hi everyone, I was wondering what the shows are like on Royal.  Are they like professional Vegas shows? Having cruised only with Carnival, that's all I know, but they are pretty good. There's comedians, both PG and rated R, some magic shows, including Destination Unknown, if anyone is familiar with that, really awesome. Of course they have lots of singing and dancing shows, including their Legends show (which is basically a souped up karaoke).

I'm sold on Navigator and convinced my husband to give it a try (yay!) Now we're just curious about the shows because we enjoy going to them.

If you sail on a Royal Caribbean ship that has an actual Broadway show, the quality is very good. It really just depends on the style of show you prefer. None of the shows I've been have been terrible, but some are better than others.

Currently, Oasis, Allure, Liberty, and Quantum of the Seas have Broadway shows.

The shows are good but never change. We have been on Radiance 4 times now over 2 years and always the same shows "The Piano Man", "Tango Buenos Airies" and "City of Dreams". We saw them once and recomemend people see them if they haven't but you know they could change them up every 12 months or have them move around to different ships. The guests they have on are usually good too. We always try and catch one of the shows but now steer clear of the RCI in house ones. Also soooo over the "Love and Marriage Game show" and it really should be mothballed.

We were on Navigator last week.  Here is a rundown:

• Welcome Aboard with NOS Orchestra and a comedian: pretty good.  NOS Orchestra is amazing in their musical ability.  Comedian was good but at least PG-13. He had an "adult" show later in the week at a later time.
  • Production Showtime with NOS Orchestra and Royal Caribbean Singers/Dancers:  Very good with contemporary Broadway theme.
  • Late Night Comedy: didn't go to this, but he was pretty funny on the first night.
  • Ice Dancin' Spectacular: yes, this was spectacular and I'm not a big skating fan.  High energy, great music and lighting effects, very professional.  About 12-13 skaters on the ice.
  • Almost Elton John: a highlight for me.  This guy is funny, a very good singer/pianist, and is backed by the amazing NOS Orchestra.
  • Love & Marriage Game Show: missed this but caught it replaying on the TV.  Very funny and worth attending.
  • Production Showtime with Royal Caribbean Singers/Dancers.  Numerous ballroom dancing displays and recorded music.  We stopped in for a few minutes, but not our favorite style.
  • Big Band Fun: the NOS Orchestra played big band music in the Royal Promenade and blew the top off of it!  Can you tell we loved these guys?
  • Soul Funktion: Soul/Funk music performed by three guest singers backed by the NOS Orchestra.  The guest singers were good, not great.  They had a drummer that played with NOS Orchestra and he was pretty amazing.  Some contrived humor that didn't work for me, but worth seeing.
  • Action Comedy of Rick Novell: This started slow for about 3 minutes because I didn't know what to expect… from then on I was rolling on the floor laughing.  Very talented comedian, juggler, unicycle rider.  Really used the crowd well.  Lots of fun.
  • There were also a number of evenings when they had entertainment in the Royal Promenade.  That really drew a crowd and was a lot of fun to sit in one of the bars and enjoy the atmosphere.
  • Of course there were other bands playing the various bars on the ship.  Country/rock, caribbean, piano man, etc.

Bottom line: most of the entertainment was very good.  It depends on what styles you like, but there is something for everybody and you should enjoy most of it quite a bit.

I hope this helps.  Enjoy your cruise on Navigator!

Entertainment, like so much else, is very subjective.  What I find great you might hate and vice versa.

I think some shows are stronger than others.  The Broadway shows are by far the best but a lot of the new shows on Oasis and Allure (Come Fly, Oceanaria, etc) are quite good.  The ice shows in general are really good too.

We were on Navigator last week.  Here is a rundown:

• Welcome Aboard with NOS Orchestra and a comedian: pretty good.  NOS Orchestra is amazing in their musical ability.  Comedian was good but at least PG-13. He had an "adult" show later in the week at a later time.
  • Production Showtime with NOS Orchestra and Royal Caribbean Singers/Dancers:  Very good with contemporary Broadway theme.
  • Late Night Comedy: didn't go to this, but he was pretty funny on the first night.
  • Ice Dancin' Spectacular: yes, this was spectacular and I'm not a big skating fan.  High energy, great music and lighting effects, very professional.  About 12-13 skaters on the ice.
  • Almost Elton John: a highlight for me.  This guy is funny, a very good singer/pianist, and is backed by the amazing NOS Orchestra.
  • Love & Marriage Game Show: missed this but caught it replaying on the TV.  Very funny and worth attending.
  • Production Showtime with Royal Caribbean Singers/Dancers.  Numerous ballroom dancing displays and recorded music.  We stopped in for a few minutes, but not our favorite style.
  • Big Band Fun: the NOS Orchestra played big band music in the Royal Promenade and blew the top off of it!  Can you tell we loved these guys?
  • Soul Funktion: Soul/Funk music performed by three guest singers backed by the NOS Orchestra.  The guest singers were good, not great.  They had a drummer that played with NOS Orchestra and he was pretty amazing.  Some contrived humor that didn't work for me, but worth seeing.
  • Action Comedy of Rick Novell: This started slow for about 3 minutes because I didn't know what to expect… from then on I was rolling on the floor laughing.  Very talented comedian, juggler, unicycle rider.  Really used the crowd well.  Lots of fun.
  • There were also a number of evenings when they had entertainment in the Royal Promenade.  That really drew a crowd and was a lot of fun to sit in one of the bars and enjoy the atmosphere.
  • Of course there were other bands playing the various bars on the ship.  Country/rock, caribbean, piano man, etc.

Bottom line: most of the entertainment was very good.  It depends on what styles you like, but there is something for everybody and you should enjoy most of it quite a bit.

I hope this helps.  Enjoy your cruise on Navigator!

Thanks for all the info.  Are you in Texas? My travel agent just informed me that after November 2015 we'll be getting Liberty of the Seas in Galveston. I guess that may change all my planning lol.

Thanks for all the info. Are you in Texas? My travel agent just informed me that after November 2015 we'll be getting Liberty of the Seas in Galveston. I guess that may change all my planning lol.

Yes, I'm in Galveston. Yes, Liberty of the Seas arrives next fall. There is a repositioning cruise that looks really good to bring Liberty here. You need to do Navigator now and Liberty next fall!

The shows are good but never change. We have been on Radiance 4 times now over 2 years and always the same shows "The Piano Man", "Tango Buenos Airies" and "City of Dreams". We saw them once and recomemend people see them if they haven't but you know they could change them up every 12 months or have them move around to different ships. The guests they have on are usually good too. We always try and catch one of the shows but now steer clear of the RCI in house ones. Also soooo over the "Love and Marriage Game show" and it really should be mothballed.

The shows do change, but not every 2 years. Typically it will be 5 to 7 years before a new show is added to a ship, after a drydock has been performed.