MDR differences between US and Europe?

FManke

For those of you that have sailed out of Europe before, what are the main differences that you have seen in the MDR as far as food offerings go between US and European sailings? I'm excited to experience some different offerings on our Greek Isles cruise leaving Oct 9th. I'm hoping for some bangers and mash and possible some streaky bacon. Anything else I should be on the lookout for?

What about the Windjammer?

Happy Cruising!

14 minutes ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

Hello.  Hopefully someone who has cruised recently in Europe will provide this info for you.  I will suggest looking on your Royal App at the dining section to check out the menu selections for each day.

You know, I did that and cannot see any menus. I must be doing something wrong.

Happy Cruising!

Though on Jewel British isles and Artic circle there was no lobster night, Don't forget to check the Vegan  menu there might be something there. A couple of time there was a veggie tempura as an appy also some interesting soups.  You can also order of the kids menu if something on the regular menu doesn't say 'I want that'.

From my limited experience of a Greek isles cruise on Rhapsody in 2019 and a Mediterranean cruise from Barcelona on Wonder this summer, the Greek isles cruise food seemed more default "American," like what you would expect on a Caribbean cruise.  The cruise from Barcelona was much more multi-cultural, European.  On Wonder, the Windjammer included a UK, US, Asian and European breakfast sections, and the MDR included a pie and curry each evening.  

My theory is that that this is due to the fact that many passengers from France, Spain, Italy, the UK etc were drew to the Wonder (being an Oasis class ship docked in Europe, a class of ship that other cruise lines in Europe can't compete with) whereas the passenger base on the Rhapsody cruise was much more American (presumably because Europeans would be able to find something that catered more to their language/culture/tastes on a similar size ship from another cruise line).

I've also heard that the cruises out of Southhampton cater for British tastes due to the high number of UK passengers on board.  So I don't think there is a blanket answer for all European cruises and it will depend somewhat on the specific ship and itinerary.

This summer we sailed on Enchantment (from Baltimore) and Voyager (from Copenhagen).  We've also sailed out of Rome on Jewel.  

There are always a few, unique choices on the European menu.  On Voyager this year it usually included a British-style dish.  There is always an Indian dish on the menu (though on any ship you can order Indian food in the MDR, it's just more "secret")

Overall, the quality of food we've had in the MDR on our two European sailings was far better than our US sailings.  I think they get better produce and meats and other fresh ingredients from their European suppliers.