Stores/Merchandise ...on board.

Censored

Ive cruised enough on numerous Royal cruise ships to note the repetitive nature and business model  to attract shoppers on board.  I dont even look anymore.   The same kiosks on the promenade deck all the time.  Invicta watches 50-75% off. Cheap T-shirts,  cheap jewelry ,the same booze, etc etc. You think they could switch it up a bit and add more originality? One of a kind stuff?   I suppose the appeal is to first time cruisers, but for those of us who have climbed the status ladder, its just the same old cruise after cruise. Even on many ports.  Even the art auctions seem to be very repetitive ., with ridiculous starting bids on some  works.   

The vast majority on any cruise are people who are either 1st time cruisers or are gold members.  The other thing is that people tend to spend more on vacation so Royal is just giving them an avenue to do that.

If RoyaI can make some extra money on it, it allows them to keep the cruise fare low for me, so I don't really worry about it. I do sometimes pick up some bourbon on the ship at good prices.  

We did our first ever cruise back in May on the Independence. It was a wonderful trip and we are booked again on Freedom. However, I did find the interesting shopping venues rather lacking. At least for me and my interest. Stores I would be more interested in would be like Ron Jon's, Ocean Pacific, Hobie, Vans, Crocs, etc. Just my opinion. I am only one person. I am sure Royal Caribbean studied it and know what works.

We did get some keychains and such. But that was about it. Sadly the logo/necessity store had no T-shirts. The only shirts they had were polos and none over size Large. I am sure they were just between shipments. So no big deal. We will get some next time.  

I agree with the observation.  I wish there were different stores on different ships and that the main store had more variety of merchandise (think Disney-type store with tons of variety).  I also wish there were more options of snack foods for purchase like chips, candy bars, gum, etc.  Would LOVE a RC fleece or berkshire blanket and had they been an option on our Mariner sailing, I would have bought 1 or 2 (one kid packed a blanket and one kid didn't, so lots of drama there!).  Would also like RC to partner with Under Armour or similar athletic brand for additional merch options.  T-shirts in a quality brand would also be preferred.  

1 hour ago, letscruise said:

I agree with the observation.  I wish there were different stores on different ships and that the main store had more variety of merchandise (think Disney-type store with tons of variety).  I also wish there were more options of snack foods for purchase like chips, candy bars, gum, etc.  Would LOVE a RC fleece or berkshire blanket and had they been an option on our Mariner sailing, I would have bought 1 or 2 (one kid packed a blanket and one kid didn't, so lots of drama there!).  Would also like RC to partner with Under Armour or similar athletic brand for additional merch options.  T-shirts in a quality brand would also be preferred.  

YES, THIS 👆!!!

Every time I've cruised, I've been in a situation where I could use a convenience-style store. How many people travel with "just in case" stuff unnecessarily... The little snack foods, yes, but also band aids, Tylenol, sewing kits, itch lotion for bug bites, seasick bands or meds, duct tape, etc. I'm imagining a small store like a rest area convenience market, modified for the cruise life and smaller, of course.

I am going to admit that I like some of the tacky stuff.  I mean, when you lose your sunglasses, where can you get a cheap pair quickly?  Well, in a wallet/glasses combo for $15-$20.  And T-shirts, who doesn't need to replace the ones you bought 10 years ago?   As for watches, my $50 watch just broke after 2 months, but my $10 import watch keeps on ticking - if only the straps wouldn't break so quickly! That said, a little tongue-in-cheek, we do miss the more interesting items from past cruises like sea-shell cufflinks or handbags and country-specific souvenirs (on Med cruise).  We actually miss the $6 sea glass figurines which are a bit pricey in our NC tourist shops.  We find it appalling that, if you lose your suitcase, you simply cannot find decent clothes in reasonable sizes - Royal is missing out on a lot of revenue for that one.

I will always remember my first RC cruise where at the end of the week they had a "last chance" sale on tee shirts and there was a mob (of which I was a part) trying to get the great deals they'd have because the cruise was almost over.  Felt like a moron when I got back to the room with a bunch of tee shirts and my husband said "you realize they will just bring out the same stuff next week for the next group."  I don't know why in my head I forgot there was a next week, and a week after that... lol.

It would be fun to actually have some interesting and unique items.  I'd jump at jewelry from steel of the ship material, how fun that would be.  Maybe some local artists from the ports could have a corner to showcase.  It's the same old same old and it's a bummer.

I’ll still peruse but not when the feeding frenzy is happening.  This last cruise I did purchase 4 baseball caps for $30 on their buy 3 get one free.  2 were simple American Flag patch on them-my boys will love, one was a nice quality two tone cap my husband wears, it had a very small anchor in the front and one was that lovely (used loosely because it’s not my taste) leopard print I know a friend will love.   None had the RC logo.  I’m glad a looked, a few 🎁 out of the way. 

We buy a lot of t-shirts as gifts to take home.  The choices are dwindling.   Most are bought in the ports we're visiting.

We used to buy refrigerator magnets of the ship we're on.  Haven't seen them for sale for quite a while.  Our option now is to buy a ships logo key chain or luggage tag, and glue a magnet on it when we get home. 

I broke my watch while on a cruise.  Tried to buy one from the promenade hawkers.  They wouldn't sell me one because it wasn't watch day.  Bought one in port.

Otherwise, I buy almost nothing from the vendors. I would like to, but the merchants and their offerings are often out of touch.    And they are often as rude as the hawkers in the ports. 

But... I love the promenade for relaxing and people-watching.🤩 

On another line my luggage wheels were delivered to the stateroom busted off. On that line they had a selection of 2 different sized roller board luggage for purchase, expensive yes but I needed it. Still use it to this day! On our last sailing I guess my luggage was searched because my TSA approved lock was gone, I looked all over the Harmony to purchase a small lock to no avail, thinking such a missed opportunity for them. Maybe have available a small selection of these & people would buy. 

In the store when I was searching there was a young man searching for baby wipes as they ran out for their little one on this voyage, none. I was surprised another essential type travel item that could have some $profit$ attached for sure. I think RC misses simple opportunities when it comes to "shopping on board"

FYI on the other cruise line I sent feed back regarding my broken luggage and they graciously sent me some funds to put towards a new purchase after sailing, that hit nicely. 

39 minutes ago, Neesa said:

In the store when I was searching there was a young man searching for baby wipes as they ran out for their little one on this voyage, none. I was surprised another essential type travel item that could have some $profit$ attached for sure. I think RC misses simple opportunities when it comes to "shopping on board"

Sadly they're too focussed on big ticket items that probably rarely get bought but have a huge profit on them.

I will agree the logo ship feels a bit stale but maybe because I cruise so infrequently, there's always a couple of new things that pop out to me. They definitely had the most new/different stuff on Odyssey and I continue to be BEARY sad I didn't get a captain bear while on board. I kept telling myself I didn't need it but then I saw some cruise friends with it on the shuttle after and it was even cuter outside of the display and now I can't stop thinking about it. ...(anyone gonna be on Odyssey wanna ship me a bear? only half joking. I will totally pay)

On 9/24/2022 at 2:14 PM, jbrinkm said:

YES, THIS 👆!!!

Every time I've cruised, I've been in a situation where I could use a convenience-style store. How many people travel with "just in case" stuff unnecessarily... The little snack foods, yes, but also band aids, Tylenol, sewing kits, itch lotion for bug bites, seasick bands or meds, duct tape, etc. I'm imagining a small store like a rest area convenience market, modified for the cruise life and smaller, of course.

Don't they have this usually in some tiny corner? My mom forgot her toothbrush once on Liberty and was able to get it on board in a little convenience store nook in the general shop (on Allure it was attached to the logo shop and most of the items were behind the registers). It was OUTRAGEOUS in cost but they did have it. Same with some medicines (the travel size tylenols for like...triple the price of a whole bottle on land). And I think one can get band aids from the medical area, I'd assume for free.....I mean..they're bandaids....

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Rcll said:

Do they sell coolers bags by themselves in the shop? If so, so how much?

Just off Allure. No cooler bags on display. However, I did get a roller duffle bag brought up from storage to purchase so I would at least ask.