Scanning a passport using the mobile phone app

twogeminiboyz

Hopefully a RCCL cruiser might be able to answer our question. Both my partner and I have downloaded onto our mobiles the RCCL app now our question is this, how far out from a cruise departure date does Royal Caribbean permit guests to scan their Passports using the app?

Our last cruise was with Princess and they allowed cruise guests to scan their passports using the Medallion app a good couple of months prior to the cruise departure date. 👍

17 hours ago, twogeminiboyz said:

Hopefully a RCCL cruiser might be able to answer our question. Both my partner and I have downloaded onto our mobiles the RCCL app now our question is this, how far out from a cruise departure date does Royal Caribbean permit guests to scan their Passports using the app?

Our last cruise was with Princess and they allowed cruise guests to scan their passports using the Medallion app a good couple of months prior to the cruise departure date. 👍

It's part of a multi-step check-in process, which as noted, begins at the 45 day mark.  If you are concerned with getting an early check-in time, you can get up early or stay up late the night before to "game" the time zones and be the first to check in.  Other threads address that.  On scanning the passport, I had problems at first because I tried to turn my phone to landscape thinking the longer bar code needed that.  Wrong, the "box" on the camera feed wanted profile.  Have a great cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

@twogeminiboyz  As noted above, it is 45 days prior to the cruise for check in to open. You can also see the date check in opens on the app. If you want an early arrival time, you can check in shortly after midnight. That time is the local time of where the ship is boarding. 
As for the passport, you can scan the barcode…or if there is a problem, or if you are using a device other than your phone with the app, you can manually enter the passport number and expiration date. 
If you don’t have all of your information available, you can still choose an arrival time and then exit check in…coming back later to complete it. Your arrival time will be saved. 
Also, if you check in later and don’t get the time you want…you can always go back into the app as available times will usually open up as the cruise date gets closer.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't have specific information on when Royal Caribbean allows guests to scan their passports using their app. Still, I have a tip that might help make the process smoother. Have you heard of Smart Engines OCR SDK? It's a pretty cool technology that can make passport scanning a breeze, even from your mobile phone. With this SDK, you can easily scan your passport and extract all the important information, ensuring everything is in order for your cruise. Plus, the accuracy is top-notch, so you won't have to worry about any mistakes or typos. Give it a try and see if it makes a difference for you! Good luck and happy cruising!

• 4 weeks later...