Late Royal Up

Allen2

Anybody had experience with an e-mail from Royal just one and one-half days prior to departure - stating regarding your Royal Up that Royal Caribbean "may choose it for upgrade based on availability at departure time."  Just received two copies of this e-mail for a Saturday departure.  What likely is in store?

got a royal up a week or two prior, one while walking to the ship (had to scramble and get a porter to hand write the luggage tags and discard my printed ones) and another when I was told I didn't get it an hour after we departed. My guess is you are close but didn't get it however if someone is a no show or a late cancellation, you still may get it. I can also say it is pretty random, the one I got last minute my brother in law got his days earlier, we paid the same, had the same room and bid the same. His last name is alphabetically before mine but other than that something in their computer broke the tie in his favor for the unsold room and I got what appears to be the cancellation room. It happened during a covid surge and I assume there were lots of cancellations. Then again we both got royal ups in Alaska this last summer and the ship was sold out of suites for months online and sold out a week before of every room right up to sailing so some may have cancelled a week out because we got them too early for covid cancellations or airline snafus, both of which were prevalent at the time. Or it's just full of random wonkiness. Just stay loose, you never know, be prepared to enjoy the room you booked and also for the royal up.

My last RUB notification said while you haven't been upgraded yet (Harmony 2022) you are still in the running as our on ship staff may choose you for an upgrade up to some time after boarding. (I read into that you may be upgraded so be prepared to change cabins.) If not interested anymore you may cancel your bid. On the ship and didn't unpack just in case, but received an email at 1900hrs saying your bid was unsuccessful. I am 0/27 for now and honestly I go into with the idea that I love the cabin I'm in but if I'm upgraded its a huge plus. I enjoy the process but I would love to "win" the ability to pay a little more for a last minute upgrade just once. Oh well, I have learned to not read anything into this totally random process. Positive winning vibes coming at you!

2 hours ago, Kim C said:

I bid on a Royal up for my upcoming cruise. Still unsure how the process works, but thought, heck… it’s my honeymoon, might as well see what happens! So, am I understanding that I may not find out about whether we got the upgrade until the day we arrive?

You are absolutely correct. You may not know if your RU bid was accepted until you arrive at the terminal for check-in. Actually, you might not find out until you're actually on board the ship. 

26 minutes ago, Lugnut said:

You are absolutely correct. You may not know if your RU bid was accepted until you arrive at the terminal for check-in. Actually, you might not find out until you're actually on board the ship. 

i love the idea of an upgrade but the obsessive planner/type A personality in me has a hard time letting go of not knowing where my cabin is until i'm aboard 😅

The emails (like most of Royal's emails leading up to a sailing) I got were completely random. I got one saying my bid had not been accepted yet and may be upgraded onboard about 3 days before, then literally 4 minutes later got one saying I was upgraded. Took two phone calls to get my updated tags though, even though my room number was changed online and in my cruise docs, but luggage tag still showed my old cabin. 

I stick to minimum booking with a price I'm comfortable paying for a room I might like, figuring if I get an upgrade it's a bonus but completely ready to enjoy the room I've booked. But I also have the thinking that my room is just for sleeping, so I tend to book an interior to save money to enjoy other aspects of the vacation.

On 9/22/2022 at 10:18 PM, Allen2 said:

Anybody had experience with an e-mail from Royal just one and one-half days prior to departure - stating regarding your Royal Up that Royal Caribbean "may choose it for upgrade based on availability at departure time."  Just received two copies of this e-mail for a Saturday departure.  What likely is in store?

We received the same email 2 days before our symphony cruise. When we got onboard we went directly to guest services and they told us the cruise was completely sold out and if they did upgrade us we would get a message on our room phone. We never received a call and the next day we received a card on the bed that stated we did not get an upgrade.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/22/2022 at 9:18 PM, Allen2 said:

We sail Sunday 10/23 on Voyager OTS - Got the notice this morning 10/21 (Friday).  Still in the running for RU I guess.  As much as I want to upgrade, I think I would rather know that I am in or out at this late date. 

Email from RCCL:

"We have reviewed the RoyalUp bids for your upcoming sailing onboard Voyager of the Seas. While we have not selected your offer yet, the team onboard the ship is still reviewing, and may choose it for upgrade based on availability at departure time. At any time, you can check the status of your bid by visiting the RoyalUp portal www.royalcaribbean.com/booked/cruise-room-upgrade."

"If you have not been contacted directly by departure time, your cabin has not been upgraded."

Based on two successful, and many more not successful bid, including observations from others that we know when they got notifications.

Most of this is based on our successful bids.  Also factoring in, being one of the only Owners Suites on a Freedom that was "booked", and reading/chatting with a number of folks that won their royal up on that cruise.

It seems that the sweet spot is about a month to a week before the cruise to get the notification of a successful bid.  Any earlier and they are likely still open to regular bookings.  My guess is Royal probably has instruction for the royal up administrators to start the royal up process if the original cruise fare plus the bid is likely to be more than any revenue they might recuperate from last minute bookings.  Once you get inside of a week the likelihood of successful bid is probably dropping and totally dependent on a cancellation or someone missing the ship. 

3 hours ago, FSUFAN said:

We sail Sunday 10/23 on Voyager OTS - Got the notice this morning 10/21 (Friday).  Still in the running for RU I guess.  As much as I want to upgrade, I think I would rather know that I am in or out at this late date. 

Email from RCCL:

"We have reviewed the RoyalUp bids for your upcoming sailing onboard Voyager of the Seas. While we have not selected your offer yet, the team onboard the ship is still reviewing, and may choose it for upgrade based on availability at departure time. At any time, you can check the status of your bid by visiting the RoyalUp portal www.royalcaribbean.com/booked/cruise-room-upgrade."

"If you have not been contacted directly by departure time, your cabin has not been upgraded."

And to top it off.  I got the e-mail on my phone about an hour ago that says *Congrats!* You've been ch... 

It's just an ad for the HUGE SALE that is "Ending Soon", and I need to "Act Fast", but has been going on for months and months now. 

image.thumb.png.e4ef0454848ce7ad12ebbcfae9c4c640.png

4 hours ago, FSUFAN said:

And to top it off.  I got the e-mail on my phone about an hour ago that says *Congrats!* You've been ch... 

It's just an ad for the HUGE SALE that is "Ending Soon", and I need to "Act Fast", but has been going on for months and months now. 

image.thumb.png.e4ef0454848ce7ad12ebbcfae9c4c640.png

This just happened to me and I thought I had won a RoyalUP.

Anthony Anderson Reaction GIF